Couldn't walk away...now what

SilverWen

First, thanks to everyone for helping out with my little blue "oranda" who is doing wonderfully.

Second, I am sickened by petstores and had a good rage-cry on the way home, with two little "ranchu" (yea, right lol) in tow. I give them a 15-25% chance to live, with a lot of work....

Anyway, I was at petco getting more prime and when I walked in they had all the fish tank lights off and were netting new fish into tanks - mostly mollies and such, I'd been in last week for cat food and all the few goldfish they had left were in very rough shape - today they were in worse shape and had ich, and it was into these tanks they had just put the new fish 😭

I called the store manager over and was trying to be polite about the fact that there were basically condemning the new fish to a slow and painful death and she was all "how do you know the old fish are sick?" and "we wouldn't sell sick fish". I pointed out the ich and the clamped fins, and she looked bored - they were calico, my favorites - so I asked how long the new arrivals had been in the tank, and she told me about 5 to 6 hours. I asked if they were going to treat them, and she said that was up to the regional manager and she would put a report in to the distributor 😠  So I said, just put two in a bag and maybe I can get them treated before they die - then she gave me a hard time about wanting to buy them when I just told her they were sick. After some long discussions she got a net, asked which ones and told me that since I was the one that pointed out that there were sick fish, the ones she was giving me would not be covered by their "7 day health guarantee", and they didn't have prices yet so they were sold at the 5.99 oranda price. Fine lady, Whatever 🤬. I don't have room for them all, but maybe with luck I can help two.

Don't worry, they are no where near my actual tank. I have them set up in a 36ish gal rubbermaid tub on my covered screen porch. They have their own air stone, siphon and equipment and the water temp is starting on its slow rise to 84*. In the house I have salt (canning/pickling), metroplex, paragard, and prazipro - where do I start??? I figure I'm in for a 60 day+ long haul of treatments.

I don't have a filter for them yet, just going to be doing twice daily water changes until I can get that part.

Ugh! I was looking forward to less water changes now that the other tank is finally stabilizing

• Helper

We will need pictures and detailed explanations of their symptoms, as well as your tank conditions, to get going. Fill out our normal form as well as you can along with good, closeup images and video, if you can.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 0

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 10

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

* Water temperature? 78

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 36 gal Rubbermaid tub - set up a few hours ago with air stone

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? none

* How often do you change the water and how much? will be 100% daily, twice daily if needed

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? n/a

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 - about an inch long nose to tail

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? stress coat, salt

* What do you feed your fish and how often? repashy, frozen food - have not fed them yet

* Any medications added to the tank? paragard dip in separate container before adding into the bin

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. literally just got them a few hours ago - did a paragard bath and moved to fresh water treated with salt. Starting low and working to 0.2 concentration over the next 48 hours - so far they have 50g salt in 30ish gal water

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? none on these two - others in the store looked like they were mimicking salted pretzels (def ich). Some red color around gill plates but could just be the gills underneath

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? not yet

as for right now, neither have visible signs of ich. both have somewhat red gill plates, but they are white / calico with nacreous scales. I will attempt to get a pic before dark

as a side note- the "ranchu-ness" of these guys is laughable - about 1/3 in the tank had dorsal fins and no noticeable wen growth 🤣, the tails aren't at the right angle, and the ones that at least resemble ranchu were very poor representatives of the breed

but I like fish with dorsal fins better than breeds that lack them, so I really don't care what the store calls them

• Helper

Okay they look good! If you’re doing Paraguard I recommend adding it in for two weeks as an in tank med instead of just a bath, and get your salt percentage up to .3-.4% concentration, some ich these days seem more salt resistant but the combo of those two treatments should help. I have some favorite harder hitting ich medications if we need them but Paraguard and salt are much more gentle, along with the heat you already have.

Give them a solid two week treatment for that and then some prazi rounds, I’d do three rounds (four days in, three days out, repeat three times for a total of three weeks).

This should bring you to a five week quarantine. I’d keep them in clean, plain, warm water another two weeks to see if any residual symptoms pop up. Since you know they were from a sick tank, you do NOT want to do a shorter quarantine. Longer is your friend, here.

Really they look good. I was expecting much worse from your description. I mean, they’re definitely not ranchus 🤣🤣🤣 But with a good protein rich diet I think you could see some great growth and wen development if they’re able. But definitely handsome fish with a few months of good grooming :)

Thanks, I was going to plan on a 6-8 week QT anyway. If the weather gets cooler, i'll move them into my guest bathroom. Having them outside is just soooo much easier for quick massive water changes - they get some indirect morning sun which can't hurt too!

Today it looks like the more white colored one has much redder gills than it did yesterday - I noticed it during the water change. Not sure if this is a) because it's a pale young fish with thin gill plates, b) a reaction to the paragaurd / salt, or c) some other bacterial infection or ammonia burn from the pet store. In real life the L side is redder, but the base of the pectoral fins are also a little more pinkish - I haven't had a matte white fish before to compare this too

IMG_2872.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG?width=480&height=640

• Helper

The treatment could be making some of this worse; especially the higher salt. But the benefits outweigh the disadvantages as long as they’re still swimming around normally.

They are active, eating, and seem to be feeling fine - I'd be more concerned if they were refusing food - also, I'm a worry wort lol

I hope that daily 100% water changes are enough though - you can see by the picture with my fingers in the water that these are small fish, the one in the picture is the larger of the two - and they are in about 30-35 gal of water right now. I want to keep the ammonia / nitrite down to 0 - but without a filter running for biologic filtration IDK if a change a day is enough - even if I put a filter in tomorrow there's no way it will cycle immediately, even if I seed it with media from my other tank (that isn't fully cycled yet either)  :'/   So far the water tests are reading 0 for both, but I've had them for just over 24 hours and have done two complete changes already, so I'm not surprised...

I know that its not ideal - I have never gotten any pet without having a set up functioning habitat first