Betta keeper new to goldfish

Guest MadDog

Guest MadDog

Hey there! Absolutely brand new to the forum, and I’ve never had goldies before... I’ve been raising bettas successfully for a while now as well as some nerite and mystery snails. I’ve experienced about every common betta disease there is and basically brought two rescues back to life! Happy to say that my newest rescue is comfortably regrowing his fins and living out the rest of his life with his nerite buddy.

I’ve been interested in getting a few goldfish for a while now. I’ve done some basic research and got really excited to start! I know basics such as water parameters, water temp, aquarium size and differences in breeds. I got a tank large enough for about three or four small goldfish (adult size 6-8 inch). I have not started cycling anything and I still need a filter. I have gravel, driftwood and Java ferns to put in the tank when ready. 

As I said, I am completely new to goldfish and I’m willing to take any advice! I also have a few questions about differences in bettas and goldfish.

I know goldies are intelligent and community fish, so I made sure to get a tank big enough for a couple of them. As a betta owner, I’ve had to be super careful about aggressive behaviors toward other fish and fin nipping. Are some goldfish more aggressive than others? Should I be careful about how I add new fish to the tank?

I have water conditioner that I use for my betta tanks, but do I need a different one for goldfish? Sounds like a dumb question, but I really don’t know...

I know a bit about fish diseases such as fin rot, ich, fungus, dropsy, popeye and others, but are there any common goldfish diseases I should be aware of?

I have read a lot about GIH, and was super nervous about it, so I got the biggest tank I could (maybe too big) but I was just curious, is that I really thing? Does it really stunt the fish’s growth?

All in all, I really just need any advice to prevent beginner mistakes. Any and all advice is welcome!!! I am so incredibly excited to get started!!!

:welcome

Welcome to keeping goldies!

Some fish are more aggressive than others, if you plan on starting with one then adding more I would rearrange the tank to create “neutral” territory, or just cycle the tank to handle a higher bioload and add all at once. I would recommend treating with praziquantel for flukes too.

Any conditioner is fine as long as it is not combined with a pH lowering buffer (which some betta specific ones are). Most of us here use Seachem Prime or Seachem Safe as they are so concentrated and better value with the volume of water changes goldfish need. 

Fancy goldfish tend to be particularly prone to swimbladder issues due to their compacted bodies, single tails not so much. In most cases this is easily remedied with fasting and foods such as peas, daphnia and duckweed.

GIH is a real thing but nothing to panic about. The smaller fish that have been grown out more slowly tend to be the longest lived. As long as you have adequate water volume, are feeding enough and parameters are in check there’s no need to worry. 

Hope this helps!

Perfect! I have felt with swim bladder one too many times with my bettas. It freaks me out to see them floating sideways or struggling to float at all, but I do know how to handle it. Thank you! I’m excited to get started!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.