When to stop feeding goldfish?

Maxwell09

My goldfish are little water pigs, they will eat anything and they wont stop eating either (unless I overfeed them way too much).  So I was wondering what is a good way to know when to stop feeding goldfish?  I heard that if a goldfish has long normal poop it is probably eating to much and thats what i found on my goldfish.  Also I feed 4 times a day.

I feed the indoor fish twice per day to condition. Fish too thin, feed more. Fish too fat, feed less. It is nearly impossible to underfeed a goldfish but super easy to overfeed one. I would say give them about 120 seconds to eat and watch about how much they eat in that time. Feed them only that amount twice per day and see how things go. Overfeeding causes a HOST of problems.

My indoor fish is a juvenile fish too. He is an Oranda actually so I also would love to see him grow a little wen. But young goldfish simply do not need that much food. I am letting algae grow on things in the tank too which is beneficial for him. I have a few live plants for him to munch off of too.

Heavy feeding is linked to way more problems than benefits. Big goldfish are problematic too. More health problems and swim bladder problems, shorter lifespans, need more food, space, and water changes etc. 

7 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I know my fish love food.  Well almost all food but they hate carrots.  I try to give them a little and wait a few hours and observe them to see if they need more food.

How does one observe a goldfish to see if it needs more food? They will always beg for food even when not hungry. They will spend hours looking through the substrate for food that isn't there. They will eat way too much if you feed them way too much. 

22 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

How does one observe a goldfish to see if it needs more food? They will always beg for food even when not hungry. They will spend hours looking through the substrate for food that isn't there. They will eat way too much if you feed them way too much. 

True but I don’t look for begging.  I don’t know how to describe what I look for.

2 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

True but I don’t look for begging.  I don’t know how to describe what I look for.

Right. Because I can't see how one can observe a goldfish after feeding to see if they need more food. That definitely was a conundrum to me.