Jump to content

Edible Small Freshwater Fish


Acro

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

There is a variety of small edible Saltwater Fish that most people are familiar with. For example: Sardines, Anchovies, Herring, Smelt, and Sprats.

I can't think of a single small Freshwater Fish that is commonly eaten. Are there any small edible Freshwater Fish equivalents?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
2 hours ago, Acro said:

There is a variety of small edible Saltwater Fish that most people are familiar with. For example: Sardines, Anchovies, Herring, Smelt, and Sprats.

I can't think of a single small Freshwater Fish that is commonly eaten. Are there any small edible Freshwater Fish equivalents?

Eatable to whom? Us or the fish and why? Just wondering. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
19 hours ago, koko said:

Eatable to whom? Us or the fish and why? Just wondering.

Edible to humans.

It just occurred to me that we have all these little Saltwater fish that people eat, but I can't think of any little Freshwater fish that people eat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
2 hours ago, Acro said:

Edible to humans.

It just occurred to me that we have all these little Saltwater fish that people eat, but I can't think of any little Freshwater fish that people eat.

The only one I know of is bluegill. :) Yeah not much on the small fresh water edible fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

You can eat lots of fish, bull minnows, perch, even goldfish - they just also all taste 'muddy'. My dad's recipe for cooking carp is as follows:

catch one sizable carp, clean and gut as per normal. Lay fillets on a ceder or hickory smoking board, add rosary, thyme, sliced onion, pepper, salt and lemon to taste. Bake at 400 for 10-15 min for smaller fish, 20 to 30 for larger. Once done and meat flakes easily apart, toss it back in the river and eat the board.  🤣😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • Regular Member
On 8/21/2021 at 3:35 AM, SilverWen said:

You can eat lots of fish, bull minnows, perch, even goldfish - they just also all taste 'muddy'. My dad's recipe for cooking carp is as follows:

catch one sizable carp, clean and gut as per normal. Lay fillets on a ceder or hickory smoking board, add rosary, thyme, sliced onion, pepper, salt and lemon to taste. Bake at 400 for 10-15 min for smaller fish, 20 to 30 for larger. Once done and meat flakes easily apart, toss it back in the river and eat the board.  🤣😂

LOOOOOOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...