Edible Small Freshwater Fish

Acro

There is a variety of small edible Saltwater Fish that most people are familiar with. For example: Sardines, Anchovies, Herring, Smelt, and Sprats.

I can't think of a single small Freshwater Fish that is commonly eaten. Are there any small edible Freshwater Fish equivalents?

• Admin
2 hours ago, Acro said:

There is a variety of small edible Saltwater Fish that most people are familiar with. For example: Sardines, Anchovies, Herring, Smelt, and Sprats.

I can't think of a single small Freshwater Fish that is commonly eaten. Are there any small edible Freshwater Fish equivalents?

Eatable to whom? Us or the fish and why? Just wondering. :) 

19 hours ago, koko said:

Eatable to whom? Us or the fish and why? Just wondering.

Edible to humans.

It just occurred to me that we have all these little Saltwater fish that people eat, but I can't think of any little Freshwater fish that people eat.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Acro said:

Edible to humans.

It just occurred to me that we have all these little Saltwater fish that people eat, but I can't think of any little Freshwater fish that people eat.

The only one I know of is bluegill. :) Yeah not much on the small fresh water edible fish.

You can eat lots of fish, bull minnows, perch, even goldfish - they just also all taste 'muddy'. My dad's recipe for cooking carp is as follows:

catch one sizable carp, clean and gut as per normal. Lay fillets on a ceder or hickory smoking board, add rosary, thyme, sliced onion, pepper, salt and lemon to taste. Bake at 400 for 10-15 min for smaller fish, 20 to 30 for larger. Once done and meat flakes easily apart, toss it back in the river and eat the board.  🤣😂

• 5 months later...
On 8/21/2021 at 3:35 AM, SilverWen said:

You can eat lots of fish, bull minnows, perch, even goldfish - they just also all taste 'muddy'. My dad's recipe for cooking carp is as follows:

catch one sizable carp, clean and gut as per normal. Lay fillets on a ceder or hickory smoking board, add rosary, thyme, sliced onion, pepper, salt and lemon to taste. Bake at 400 for 10-15 min for smaller fish, 20 to 30 for larger. Once done and meat flakes easily apart, toss it back in the river and eat the board.  🤣😂

LOOOOOOL