LFS oranda

Just curious to how many people have a generic "oranda" from a local shop and if it actually grew up to look like an oranda - any amount of wen development etc

The silver one I got was of course labeled as oranda, but I have little faith in pet stores knowing what they have. Just curious. None in the tank - including the red-caps - had obvious wen development yet, so I went with one that was a little longer in body and good even fins that was swimming on an even keel lol

I've always had just plain fantails.  I've included a full body shot of my little silver fish  :)silver.thumb.JPG.6e25ff2fbcfaeba9b6b55c8c69422e63.JPG

I’ve probably owned around 10+ “orandas” and of those only 3 actually grew wens. All came from pet shops and garden centres. Of those, 2 I bought at about 4”, paid probably 5x what I did for the red cap pictured and grew out in a pond, the one I still have has significant wen growth. These fish are both around 4 years old and one has been kept indoors. The red cap is the only young oranda I’ve owned that’s actually grown up to look like an oranda!

9F2D3B9C-3C93-4AB0-81E0-9A7A2D72FAA8.jpeg

EA397CEB-D109-4663-BAC7-BC75964CCE46.jpeg

709689CD-C8C8-4851-A287-38D67706AA98.jpeg

C9741829-D2FB-4E5D-AAA6-D5C2432D1BC2.jpeg

Thanks! It's not overly important, but I was curious. It he turns out to be a flat headed 'fantail' that's fine too.

On the contrary... I bought two fish from the fantail tank of the shop (priced way lower than the Oranda tank). They both have LIIIIIIIIITLE feeble head growths, so I am really hoping for a bit of wen as they get older. It might stay super dinky the way it is - which would be okay too.

Screenshot_20210802-043449~2.png

Screenshot_20210802-043519~2.png

Your fish is clearly an oranda as evidenced by its wen growth. It is up to you to groom it to its full potential. I love blue orandas they are my favorites

33 minutes ago, spider man said:

Your fish is clearly an oranda as evidenced by its wen growth. It is up to you to groom it to its full potential. I love blue orandas they are my favorites

Mine too! I'd just never seen any at the pet store. There was one other blue one that had more copper on it's head that def had the beginnings of a wen, so I'm hopeful that I can get some growth on this guy.

The other-one's tail was fused into three lobes and it had a lot of trouble swimming correctly, kept turning on a 45* slant like it was suffering from SBD already. 

3 hours ago, spider man said:

also, just wondering as this is my first oranda, how can you tell there is wen growth?  What do you look for in the shape of his head that gives it away, to me he just looks like regular fish

5 hours ago, spider man said:

They have very teensy wens for their size. Not all wen having fish have the potential to grow large wens. Grooming isn't always the only factor. I do not feed or groom for a lot of growth or wen growth but we will see how they do.

3 hours ago, SilverWen said:

also, just wondering as this is my first oranda, how can you tell there is wen growth?  What do you look for in the shape of his head that gives it away, to me he just looks like regular fish

I believe he was talking to me lol. Your fish has no wen growth but he MAY develop a little. 

11 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

I believe he was talking to me lol. Your fish has no wen growth but he MAY develop a little. 

lol ah, that makes a lot more sense. I thought I was blind or something  :)