Goldfish tank size question?

I'm thinking of getting a different tank size for my goldfish. Right now I have a 20 high aquarium for two goldfish.  Is that a good idea?  I'm going to measure my available spot soon.

First I need to relocate my 32 inch TV as that is where I'm going to put the new tank.

• 3 months later...

I have learned years ago (from the wonderful people on this site) you should have 20 gallons of water for the first, and 10 gallons for each additional Goldfish, also the more surface area the better. 

I would recommend a minimum of 20 gallons for each fancy and 30 gallons for each common/comet/single tail as they grow quite large. A 40 gallon breeder would be ideal for two fancies to fully reach their potential

• Admin
22 hours ago, johann_pond said:

I have learned years ago (from the wonderful people on this site) you should have 20 gallons of water for the first, and 10 gallons for each additional Goldfish, also the more surface area the better. 

That was true about 10 years ago hun. We have learned you need more room for them....👇

4 hours ago, spider man said:

I would recommend a minimum of 20 gallons for each fancy and 30 gallons for each common/comet/single tail as they grow quite large. A 40 gallon breeder would be ideal for two fancies to fully reach their potential

I agree with ya. They should have at least 20 gallons per fish. 

After my one fish died it really like to think they do better in more space. Even 40 gallons per fish is better, but I know most ppl wouldnt want to do that. 😮 

We have to balance realism with the fishes needs. As you say - not many people are going to be able to get an 80 gallon tank for two fish. And honestly I don't think it's necessary. If not overfeeding, the fish won't outgrow a 40 gallon tank...

And very few are going to even get a 40 gallon tank for a 25 cent standard goldfish. I preach water quality, feeding regimen,  and cycle knowledge over tank size. Have enough room for your fish to swim around comfortably and monitor your water quality and get the largest tank you can afford. 

The rest, just do your best.

• Admin
On 11/10/2021 at 1:05 AM, mjfromga said:

We have to balance realism with the fishes needs. As you say - not many people are going to be able to get an 80 gallon tank for two fish. And honestly I don't think it's necessary. If not overfeeding, the fish won't outgrow a 40 gallon tank...

And very few are going to even get a 40 gallon tank for a 25 cent standard goldfish. I preach water quality, feeding regimen,  and cycle knowledge over tank size. Have enough room for your fish to swim around comfortably and monitor your water quality and get the largest tank you can afford. 

The rest, just do your best.

Oh I agree hun. 

I was just saying in a wishful thinking kind of world. They should have a lot of room. But yes your right most people wouldnt spend that much on goldfish at all. :( 

1 hour ago, koko said:

Oh I agree hun. 

I was just saying in a wishful thinking kind of world. They should have a lot of room. But yes your right most people wouldnt spend that much on goldfish at all. :( 

I agree. They love ponds. Even fancies love ponds. Big ones with all the trimmings. But again not everyone can do this or lives in the right climate etc for this so we all just try to do what we can. 

On 11/11/2021 at 4:46 PM, koko said:

Oh I agree hun. 

Some people won’t spend that much on any fish.  I have seen arrowana fish in tanks that look to small for them on YouTube channels.  Those are big fish and need gigantic tanks.  Probably like the floor to ceiling tanks I have had in my dreams.

Your fish seem to be doing okay - keep up their water quality and upgrade when you can comfortably do so. That's what I always do. I have 4 little ones in a 55. I plan to keep 2 or 3 there permanently but for now the tank can easily sustain 2 small and 2 medium sized fish. It has 4 filters and plenty of plants. I do 90% water changes weekly and I barely even see a trace of nitrate on WC day. And the fish are small so there's PLENTY of room to swim and exercise. Two of them were gotten as TEENY TINY PetSmart fish for $3 or so.

Anybody who says I need a 100 gallon tank for the 4 fish can do a few things...

#1. Go buy me one plus the stand

#2. Find me the space to put it in the den (can't be done)

#3. Maintain it for me weekly

#4. Pay part of the high water bill it would cause

If they can't do all that, then I don't much want to hear it. The PetSmart Duo wasn't planned but I'm sure they are happier here than had they remained at PetSmart.

koko
This post was recognized by koko!

colley614 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

The more experience I get keeping fish, the more the answer to this question changes.

For me personally I like to keep stocking quite low. But you have to develop you own 'philosophy' with regards to fish keeping. 

Most people currently seem to be in this planted tank with all the gadgets thing. High lights with a massive cannister filter and low stocking levels. (Have you even read The Walstad bro? You probably don't need a filter!) Before that it was the sps reef fad with all the gadgets. The point I'm making is people spending fortunes on gadgets. I feel like they don't even have a fundamental understanding of the basics.

Here's a thing, how much of the territory outside the tank does the fish consider as it's territory? What happens if there is a lot of activity in that area? Stress? Ill health? Would a tank be better placed as a peninsula? 

koko
This post was recognized by koko!

spider man was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 15 points.

You bring up good points Colley614. We are speaking in general terms because everyone's set ups are different. We all do different amounts of water changes, feedings,  have different size and types of fish, etc. The bottom line is this.... Give your fish the most room  you can, do not over crowd. At least 20 gallons per fish, Large weekly or bi weekly water changes, vacuum the substrate, do not over feed. Keep things simple and you succeed.

10 minutes ago, spider man said:

You bring up good points Colley614. We are speaking in general terms because everyone's set ups are different. We all do different amounts of water changes, feedings,  have different size and types of fish, etc. The bottom line is this.... Give your fish the most room  you can, do not over crowd. At least 20 gallons per fish, Large weekly or bi weekly water changes, vacuum the substrate, do not over feed. Keep things simple and you succeed.

Boom! Exactly what I was trying to imply by 'philosophy'. I could give an opinion on how I maintain a filter. You could take that opinion and apply to your philosophy. However, I usually have high lighting and loadsa plants. It's also not uncommon for me to do 50%+ waterchanges a day for a month depending on what I'm seeing in the tank/ on test kits. So you could have low lights, no plants and do 10% waterchanges once a week. Our philosophies are different so advice would be incorrect.