New Here, just getting back into fish keeping

Just wanted to introduce myself, looking forward to getting back in with a fish community again. I was a member if goldfish.keepers, but it seems their forum isn't active anymore. I've had fancies in the past, but had to re-home them when I moved across the country a few years ago and couldn't take the big tank.

I just picked up a lovely baby blue and bronze oranda from petco the morning - a little earlier than expected but what can I say, I'm a sucker for an unusual fish. Only problem is that I wasn't actually looking at getting a goldie yet and the tank I have has just finished a fish-in cycle with some rosy minnows (4) - who now will start QT all over again with the oranda. So far they are all schooling together, but I can't find any information as to if the rosies will become fin-nippers or not - they are about the same size as the oranda. 

Tank: 40 gal breeder - bear bottom with several anubis tied to larger smooth rocks. 5 fish total - all about an inch long

Ammonia and nitrite at 0, nitrate is around 10-15, pH is between 7.8 - 8 (very hard water), temp is 72, HOB filter with 200 gph for now - doing daily water changes of 75% and twice weekly full water changes. Using seachem Prime to condition water and prazipro to deal with the parasites he no doubt has.

He is of course not in pristine shape, the has a small tear in the caudal fin and is missing three scales - no redness, ich, anchor worm, or any other signs of external disease. I watched the whole tank for over an hour while I tried to talk myself out of getting him. None of the others in the tank or the surrounding tanks were showing clamped fins or any distress either. Not much wen development, but that's probably to be expected from a chain store fish, good confirmation otherwise.

anyway,

happy to be somewhere to talk shop with fellow hobbyists again. Any advice is always welcome, I'm sure there is still lots to learn :)

As a side note...turns out rosy minnows will definitely pick at the fins of other fish, watched them do it. Needless to say, they have been removed. And since QT is just starting I went back to the store and picked up the black demekin that I almost got instead of the oranda, I'll just have to upgrade to something larger than a 40 breeder once they start to come to size...

I know that due to their eye sight its not often recommended to keep telescope eye'd fish with more normal fish, but I heavily plant my tanks with anacharis, duck weed, and offer salt-free nori and other veggies regularly to offset any competition. Eventually they will be used to hand feeding - right now they are not sure about hands in the water.  

I was with goldfishkeepers.com too. Welcome here. I would remove the minnows. 2 goldfish in a 40 breeder will grow to their potential nicely. Just keep testing the water, feed very sparingly until you know your tank is cycled. Do weekly water changes and use prime as your conditioner too.

• Admin
19 hours ago, SilverWen said:

As a side note...turns out rosy minnows will definitely pick at the fins of other fish, watched them do it. Needless to say, they have been removed. And since QT is just starting I went back to the store and picked up the black demekin that I almost got instead of the oranda, I'll just have to upgrade to something larger than a 40 breeder once they start to come to size...

I know that due to their eye sight its not often recommended to keep telescope eye'd fish with more normal fish, but I heavily plant my tanks with anacharis, duck weed, and offer salt-free nori and other veggies regularly to offset any competition. Eventually they will be used to hand feeding - right now they are not sure about hands in the water.  

:hi and :welcome

I agree with @spider man I had 2 goldfish in my 40 breeder tank and I can say when they got to there full size, they looked kinda cramped in there. If I could I would have upgraded to a bigger tank or a pond.

But welcome. I know in times like this it sucks that forums are going down. We are trying to stay up and running. 🤗

3 hours ago, spider man said:

I was with goldfishkeepers.com too. Welcome here. I would remove the minnows. 2 goldfish in a 40 breeder will grow to their potential nicely. Just keep testing the water, feed very sparingly until you know your tank is cycled. Do weekly water changes and use prime as your conditioner too.

It's not that bad here lol 🧐🤣

:welcome

Personally I’ve kept telescopes with other varieties including singletails successfully, problems only usually arise when occasionally a more aggressive or territorial fish comes about. You’ll probably have a while yet before having to worry about an upgrade. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.