Happy 5th Birthday to Bubbles, My Ranchu!

My color-changing ranchu, Bubbles, just turned 5 years old! (Every time I post his photo, he's changed color again!)

Bubbles has lost most all of his orange coloring this year (except for a spot of orange on top) so now he's basically all white. He has just the tiniest bit of a wen, which is okay with me. I've been feeding him mostly Omega One medium goldfish pellets, although I occasionally give him a few blood worms and shelled peas for a special snack.

I've had to remove much of the fine black Tahitian sand in his tank, because it gets stuck in the filter and is super hand to keep clean. Bubbles loves to dig in the sand and pile it around the tank. Since the plants are only held down by rocks, I often find the plants floating around the tank, as a result of Bubbles' "redecorating" efforts.

The plants (java ferns and anubias) are doing very well with the LED full spectrum lights - so well that I have to keep trimming them back because they fill up the tank so quickly, especially the ferns!

The biggest challenge in taking care of Bubbles is finding the time to do regular water changes. It takes about 2 hours to empty the tank, clean everything, and then refill it. I have to carry a 2.5 gallon bucket back and forth from the laundry room sink to the fish tank at opposite ends of our house.

Does anyone else have stories (and photos) of their older/mature ranchus to share?

Bubbles 5 years old.jpg

Isn't he cute? I do not have any Ranchu but I have a tiny Ryukin that turned 4 years old. Never grew much but boy is he tough. He too is mostly white with ONE speck of red on his head. Hopefully I can get a photo of him soon.

1 hour ago, FredTheGoldfish said:

Hi mjfromga!

I'd love to see a photo of your Ryukin -- what's his name?

His name is Bayana. He is veeeeery dinky. And he has fin damage from being sucked into a strong pond pump before but he is my favorite little man. I will pull him later so you can see him. And I will pull another one of my Ryukins named Boss to compare his size. He is the oldest fish I have but BY FAR the smallest. Funny thing.

Here they are. My favorite dinky man is Bayana... The little white one. He is 4-5 years old despite being small. The other man is Boss. He is 2-3 years old. Both are pet quality short tailed Ryukins.

20210713_142357~2.jpg

20210713_142247~2.jpg

• Admin
On 7/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, mjfromga said:

Here they are. My favorite dinky man is Bayana... The little white one. He is 4-5 years old despite being small. The other man is Boss. He is 2-3 years old. Both are pet quality short tailed Ryukins.

20210713_142247~2.jpg

I really like the coloring of this one MJ :thumbup2: