Is it worth it to get Saki Hikari goldfish pellets?

I have so far repashy gel food, bloodworms, veggies, and shrimp pellets.  Would those be enough or should I get some saki hikari?

• Supporter

To expand on what Myra said, a lot of people have found Hikari to cause floatiness in their fish.

I find it ok with my single tail pondies, but avoid it with my fancies

If you do want to add more variety my guys do well on the New Life Spectrum Thera A and Ocean Free Goldfish Sinking Pellets. 

Occasionally I give them frozen 'community food', mysis shrimp, brine shrimp as well well as bloodworms.

They also love seaweed.

The ingredients in Saki Hikari actually look bad to me too. So many fillers for the price. And yes many people have found that their fancies float on that food. My fancies and single tails alike eat the Cobalt goldfish pellets and sometimes the Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 but I do not feed them much TBH. They mostly eat algae etc from their little pond.

• Supporter

Yea, there are a lot of fillers for the price. My pondies now get the Ocean Free Goldfish as well. I only feed them every few days, sometimes even less than that. Lots of algae and bugs for them to eat out there. 

When I did feed Hikari I gave the inside guys Hikari Lionhead and the outside guys Hikari Goldfish Gold, but I have found the fancies to do better generally off the Hikari. The long bodied single tails it didn't seem to make a difference for.

I would feed almost exclusively the gel food with the occasional blood worms and shelled peas. Goldfish are designed to eat soft foods not these dry pellets that are out there

• 1 month later...

I've just ordered saki hikari and repashy solient green. Wish I'd checked the comments on here first. What is a recommended staple for goldfish pellet now then?

9 minutes ago, colley614 said:

I've just ordered saki hikari and repashy solient green. Wish I'd checked the comments on here first. What is a recommended staple for goldfish pellet now then?

Lol nearly anything except Saki Hikari. Expensive bag of wheat and cheap fillers. They'll make your fish big and fat quick by filling the fish with carbs and junk, which is why so many fed it for growth... but in the process of doing that, it also caused many many people to also have swim bladder issues.

I feed my indoor fish Cobalt Goldfish and Ocean Nutrition Formula Two as pellet staples. The outdoor fish I feed Blue Ridge pond food.

54 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

Lol nearly anything except Saki Hikari. Expensive bag of wheat and cheap fillers. They'll make your fish big and fat quick by filling the fish with carbs and junk, which is why so many fed it for growth... but in the process of doing that, it also caused many many people to also have swim bladder issues.

I feed my indoor fish Cobalt Goldfish and Ocean Nutrition Formula Two as pellet staples. The outdoor fish I feed Blue Ridge pond food.

Great 🙄. It appears much has changed since I was last in the hobby. Everyone was recommending it back then. 

Hey everyone sorry I couldnt respond sooner (I didnt see it)  I decided to get hikari lionhead.  They are doing great on it.

koko
This post was recognized by koko!

"Great post. MJ"

mjfromga was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

Everyone can feed what they want, we as longstanding members just warned against something we noticed over the years. This is not to say to feed your fish whatever you like, but to throw a known caution in the air. Hikari doesn't cause problems instantly - so just keep an eye out if you feed it.

16 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

Everyone can feed what they want, we as longstanding members just warned against something we noticed over the years. This is not to say to feed your fish whatever you like, but to throw a known caution in the air. Hikari doesn't cause problems instantly - so just keep an eye out if you feed it.

I think I'll feed this packet and then swap to one of the recommended options. I plan on feeding plenty of veg so hopefully that will minimise the risk.

• Admin
7 hours ago, mjfromga said:

:bingo:

11 hours ago, koko said:

:bingo:

You know what, Koko? While I haven't been in the goldfish hobby for 5 years, I've still be in the aquarium hobby and on fish related social media. Its nice to see someone with a different opinion express it with scolding other people. Most posts I come across these days seem to be aquarists waiting for opportunities to tell others they a wrong.

This reply was a breath of fresh air.