Bubble blisters?

Guest Smokey

Guest Smokey

Hi, 

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I have looked everywhere online & can't find what is wrong with our goldfish. She's still feeding & seems completely normal in behaviour but she has these weird bubbles on her. The other fish in the tank is not effected. She's about 7 years old. 

I'm not sure how to attach a photo 

Thanks for taking the time to read this 😊

those are tumors or lymphocytis, We cannot really treat this. However so long as the fish is eating, swimming and pooing it can live a normal life

Oh 😔 thanku for both telling me. 

Is there anything we can do which will help her a little? She doesn't seem bothered by them, but it must be really annoying for her. 

so long as they do not cover her gills which will inhibit breathing no, nothing to do. Just make sure the other fish are not picking on her

She has one on one of her gills, but I guess we can't do anything for that?

She is only with one other fish & they have bred so he's fine & doesn't pick on her. 

Thanks so much for all your advice 

I'll shoot this question to all of you keepers with better fish disease knowledge than me, but could those growths be removed?  Like maybe in the same manner that a wen is trimmed?

43 minutes ago, Acro said:

I'll shoot this question to all of you keepers with better fish disease knowledge than me, but could those growths be removed?  Like maybe in the same manner that a wen is trimmed?

Lymphocystis tends to “flare up” then the growths usually recede after a while. It’s usually more of a cosmetic issue than anything. As long as precautions are taken to prevent any secondary infection from the growths bursting the fish should be fine.

Anyone more knowledgeable on the subject please correct me if I am wrong!

tumors like the one you have with your fish appear to be systemic i.e. throughout the entire fish, my guess removing them would only cause them to grow back. Perhaps if there was only one tumor I would try to remove it especially if it was impacting the fish. Lymphocytis has a very different texture than tumors., they appear to be hard and crusty whereas tumors are softer and smoother

7 hours ago, hannah said:

Lymphocystis tends to “flare up” then the growths usually recede after a while. It’s usually more of a cosmetic issue than anything. As long as precautions are taken to prevent any secondary infection from the growths bursting the fish should be fine.

Anyone more knowledgeable on the subject please correct me if I am wrong!

4 hours ago, spider man said:

tumors like the one you have with your fish appear to be systemic i.e. throughout the entire fish, my guess removing them would only cause them to grow back. Perhaps if there was only one tumor I would try to remove it especially if it was impacting the fish. Lymphocytis has a very different texture than tumors., they appear to be hard and crusty whereas tumors are softer and smoother

That's crazy, totally new to me! 

I found this info:  https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/FA181

Interesting read, I have read on a few sources that lymphocystis doesn’t affect cyprinids but there are similar related viruses affecting the skin

My 10 year old telescope has a few growths that resemble it, unsure if it’s tumours or a skin virus :idont

She did have some before but they popped & came off, she has a few scarred scales. I was hoping that these would be the same, but they seem to be more solid in the middle. 

Thanku to everyone for all the information 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 11:58 AM, spider man said:

can you share a photo of that fish

Fish wouldn’t stay still so poor photo. Forgot to come back and post!

572FEC2D-5781-47F6-AAF5-E1E83D4FE898.jpeg

On 7/13/2021 at 6:48 PM, spider man said:

this looks way different than lymphocytis or tumors. This appears to be an excessive growth of the connective tissue.

Do you know of any articles or studies on this you could link me to? I’m intrigued.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.