MEDAKA ,first successful spawn

Posted (edited)

Medaka eggs hatch in outside pool. Three months now since purchase of 40 medaka placed into four locations. This pool is only group to hatch so far and there are many little ones. Those inside only produced eggs and suspect that a lot more “weedy grass” and space to hide is needed for hatching.pictured will be-video of pool group if I can figure out how to post it.

Edited by mikroll
https://share.icloud.com/photos/008fvS3U8KoSgFowsu0MLIBZA#Castel_Volturno,_Campania

Baby spotted swimming with adults. Had to throw some ants into pool in order to get them all together feeding. Pictured is pool with bird bath on top.

380C0511-11E8-4D66-97C2-2258928A0C63.jpeg

62ABC00B-3EF1-4EEC-9937-23DD7333B234.jpeg

6EDAAF75-FFD7-49CE-BFFB-B657C6066D25.jpeg

4678F740-F518-4FF3-B8F5-5DF137E28C97.jpeg

Slightly jealous! I spotted one of my females with eggs on her underside yesterday but couldn’t find where she deposited them. 

Out of curiosity, do you have any form of mechanical filtration going on? I’m very interested in keeping medaka outdoors!

Posted (edited)

Baby spotted swimming with adults.

hi Hannah , and congratulations on your Medaka with eggs. I too was feeling a little jealous when my group were only producing eggs and the guy I got them from had a big barrel full of them. I divided my 40 into 4 groups . The two inside in filtered aquariums made only eggs so far. The others went into one 500 liter, 2meter diameter static pond and have not seem much of them since. The 4th are the ones in this little , maybe 100 liters ( I forget exactly) pool with the bird bath on top . No filter mechanism. But there are piperis plants and a floating plant for witch I know not name but had beautiful long roots with hairs for the babies to hide among. I am enjoying a pint of good cheer while watching and trying to determine how many different hatchlings there are .

image.jpg

Edited by mikroll
Picture

I might just have to get a group for my tub I have outside full of elodea and floating plants then! Fingers crossed yours keep spawning.

Hi Hannah, if I understand right, you are located in a good climate for medaka , (such as Uk?), if so then no time to lose, just chuck them in and count to ten days! Seems they like warm weather. Lots of plants too.

Yes I’m in the UK (Wales) :) From what I’ve read they’ll overwinter under ice too. It’s pretty warm at the minute so probably the perfect time to get some.