Jump to content

API Pond Stress Coat ???


Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

Hi Guys 😁

New to this forum ...writing from Sydney Australia and would appreciate your honest views on API Pond Stress Coat.

 I have one particular Goldie who’s got lumps ( tumours) near his tail, and occasionally shows some signs of stress. He’s 11yrs old, but still eats well with the others and otherwise seems ok. He’s had lumps removed from his body before, by a fish vet, but now they’re back again.

 I’ve read that the Stress Coat does help perk up goldfish.. And there seems to be a large number of fish hobbyists who swear by the product. The positive reviews on Amazon alone run into the thousands. On the other hand Ive also read somewhere that the Aloe contained in the product would only really be effective if it were directly applied to the fish, ie “blob it on” and just adding the Stress Coat to the water is practically useless...it doesn’t get to the fish ! Is this true ?

So confused.

Would truly appreciate your views on the efficacy of Aloe as contained in API Stress Coat.

A million thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
5 hours ago, Foxx29 said:

Hi Guys 😁

New to this forum ...writing from Sydney Australia and would appreciate your honest views on API Pond Stress Coat.

 I have one particular Goldie who’s got lumps ( tumours) near his tail, and occasionally shows some signs of stress. He’s 11yrs old, but still eats well with the others and otherwise seems ok. He’s had lumps removed from his body before, by a fish vet, but now they’re back again.

 I’ve read that the Stress Coat does help perk up goldfish.. And there seems to be a large number of fish hobbyists who swear by the product. The positive reviews on Amazon alone run into the thousands. On the other hand Ive also read somewhere that the Aloe contained in the product would only really be effective if it were directly applied to the fish, ie “blob it on” and just adding the Stress Coat to the water is practically useless...it doesn’t get to the fish ! Is this true ?

So confused.

Would truly appreciate your views on the efficacy of Aloe as contained in API Stress Coat.

A million thanks 

It would be like you applying Aloe to your skin. The problem for me is. If you use to much in the tank it can cause breathing issues. It will sooth the skin/scales for the fish but make sure you do over do it. :thumbup2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Thanks very much.

The key, then, is knowing how to define “overdoing it”. I was planning on using it for @ 2 weeks to give it time to work it’s healing…then do a water change…I normally do water changes weekly but it’s Winter here now, and the fish are eating only a little, therefore minimum waste in the pond. How does that sound ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
On 6/24/2021 at 3:05 PM, Foxx29 said:

Thanks very much.

The key, then, is knowing how to define “overdoing it”. I was planning on using it for @ 2 weeks to give it time to work it’s healing…then do a water change…I normally do water changes weekly but it’s Winter here now, and the fish are eating only a little, therefore minimum waste in the pond. How does that sound ?

How are they doing. It sounds good, just have to keep on eye on them. Some fish dont like this stuff. :O 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
13 hours ago, koko said:

How are they doing. It sounds good, just have to keep on eye on them. Some fish dont like this stuff. :O 

They seem to be fine with the Stress Coat, certainly no adverse reactions. On an unrelated area can I ask what method would be best to maintain water GH in my small pond. For years I’ve just been using crushed aragonite which I put in a container with some white vinegar  ( which leaches the calcium) and after a few days I’d add it when doing my water change. To counterbalance the acidity of the vinegar in the aragonite I use some baking soda. So far, the system works fine, the GH is around the 11 or 12 degree mark. But I’m wondering whether leached aragonite alone would supply the full range of minerals that goldies need ( as  it’s almost exclusively calcium ) ? What do you recommend ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
On 7/2/2021 at 12:33 AM, Foxx29 said:

They seem to be fine with the Stress Coat, certainly no adverse reactions. On an unrelated area can I ask what method would be best to maintain water GH in my small pond. For years I’ve just been using crushed aragonite which I put in a container with some white vinegar  ( which leaches the calcium) and after a few days I’d add it when doing my water change. To counterbalance the acidity of the vinegar in the aragonite I use some baking soda. So far, the system works fine, the GH is around the 11 or 12 degree mark. But I’m wondering whether leached aragonite alone would supply the full range of minerals that goldies need ( as  it’s almost exclusively calcium ) ? What do you recommend ?

I would do a test before you change it up since its working for you.

Do this get a bucket put some of the aragonite in a bag and hang it in there. Test the water before and after about 24 hours, then I would test again after 48 hours. This way you can see how much it will move for you :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...