Velvet?

Ammonia Level(Tank)

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

api drops

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

29 gallons, 2 months

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

built in filtration

How often do you change the water and how much?

every 2 weeks, 25%

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

1 week, 25%

How many fish in the tank and their size?

1 fish, 3.5”

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

prime, crushed coral

What do you feed your fish and how often?

North fin sinking pellets 1/day

Any new fish added to the tank?

no

Any medications added to the tank?

prazi pro

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

fish: super ich cure, can’t remember duration, sulfaplex 10 days, salt (with ich cure and sulfaplex), methylene blue dips 1/day for 5 days)

tank, salt at half the recommended dose for 2 weeks, prazipro 1 day

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

little dusting of something white/yellowish

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

nothing to report

Was inspecting my tank and noticed little spots on one of my goldfish. Does this look like velvet? It’s definitely not ich as it seems to sit on top of the slime coat cause I can see it sway while she swims.

if it is velvet how do I treat in a planted tank?

I have: salt, m. blue, super ich cure, sulfaplex, salt, prazipro, maracyn 2

4224211A-D940-4D08-A039-9204EAEF747D.jpeg

What substrate do you have if any? Also does the food you feed disintegrate into little bits quickly? My dark coloured fish in the past have made me panic many times only for me to discover they’d managed to coat themselves in sand and food! I may be wrong but it could be something harmless like that.

27 minutes ago, hannah said:

What substrate do you have if any? Also does the food you feed disintegrate into little bits quickly? My dark coloured fish in the past have made me panic many times only for me to discover they’d managed to coat themselves in sand and food! I may be wrong but it could be something harmless like that.

No substrate at all. Could be possible, I fed her this morning and didn’t notice anything funky. 

• Helper

Hi there! That is a LOT of mess very quickly and several that interact with one another, please ask before tossing medication at a problem so we can help narrow it down and keep the stress on the fish as low as possible :)

can you give me calendar dates and any overlap for the medications you used on this fish in the last month or two? It doesn’t immediately look like velvet, but I need to understand what you tried and when, for which symptoms. 

For now if you can move this guy to a hospital tank that would be great. Could be a tote or a five gallon bucket. We need a heater and an air stone, and you’re going to slowly bump the temperature up to 76-78 degrees over the course of a few days, okay? No more than a degree every two hours, to keep stress low. That hospital tank is going to start with methylene blue and salt at .3% concentration, or roughly one tablespoon per gallon of water. The meth blue dose will depend on the size of the hospital tank, okay? But we need to treat this without the bio load of the substrate and filters involved, and to protect the plants.  

Running that main tank much hotter for two or three weeks should hatch out any parasites and quell any bacterial issues, since there would be no host left. I’d get the main tank to the mid to high eighties if you can. It shouldn’t hurt the plants at all.

In that picture I see excess slime coat, that’s it. So we are going to isolate and wait to see if other symptoms emerge. The excess slime coat could have just been a reaction to the meds - combining the ich cure with salt is a terrible mix,  and could have worsened any irritation of the fish. So the current plan is warm, clean water with gentle treatment to support the slime coat for now and then see what we are working with after a week or so like that. It may be enough to resolve the symptoms in its own or else clarify what you see on the fish’s scales that I’m not seeing.

The salt and the ich cure were started sometime around April 24th, and didn’t overlap with the sulfaplex which was started right after as she had a secondary infection. This was before I knew about kokos and just followed the instructions on the packages. It’s been at least a month since she’s been treated with anything and I only did prazi because I hadn’t done it with her yet and the rest of my fish are getting a prazi treatment.

I’ll do everything else you said.

• Helper

Okay so that means the irritation isn’t from the med combo. Definitely let’s leave her alone in the hospital tank with the salt and meth blue for a week, just do water changes every two or three days and feed lightly so the ammonia stays down, that’s what you’ll need to keep an eye on and the meth blue can make it tough to check that accurately because it tints the water. So stay on top of the changes and keep feeds very small and once daily so pooping is minimal, and we should be okay.

Then next week we will get new pictures or video and discuss what treatments, if any, to do next :)