Need help….new sick goldfish!

Hi I’m back with a new goldfish that I had shipped to me from ECR two weeks ago.  The fish has been lethargic and listlessly drifting sometimes after feeding, others times non food related.    

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank)  0

Nitrite Level(Tank)  0

Nitrate level(Tank)  5ppm

Ammonia Level(Tap)  0

Nitrite Level(Tap)   0

Nitrate level(Tap)   0

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)  ph8, KH 8 drgress

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API liquid

Water temperature?   76

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?   15 gal, 2 weeks

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

Aqua clear 30

How often do you change the water and how much?   Daily to every other day. 75%, tank just cycled. 

How many days ago was the last waterchange and how much did you change?

Monday, 75%

How many fish in the tank and their size?

(1) 3 inch gold fish 

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Prime, fish protector, Epsom salt

What do you feed your fish and how often?

Every other day, peas, nori, pellets, blood worms.  

Any new fish added to the tank? No

Any medications added to the tank?  Prazipro

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

I had been using .1% salt.  Breeder told me to take it out on Sunday 6/14

Methylene blue bath 1x

Prazipro in tank since sat 6/12

epsom salt since sun 6/13

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?  No

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Fish has been lethargic.  Originally floating at top of water.  Now drifting from bottom to middle of the tank.   Mainly staying in one area of tank. 

Seems to be breathing heavier.

fish had been darting around the tank, but that has become infrequent.

Had been pooping white strings, but that has improved.

Gave 1”x.5” piece of Nori on a clip yesterday and he went to top of tank and stayed there for 10 hours pooping.  I guess that piece was too big?  His poop was normal size and green.  Not stringy like before.  

He gets floaty after I feed him even small amounts like after 3 pellets.  

I was told to treat for bacterial infection with Kanaplex by Seachem, but wanted to talk to y’all first.

Thanks!!

ecr fish are generally very healthy however you cannot mix them with other fish at least not for a long time. Kanaplex is a good medication for a variety of issues. I would also use latex gloves when putting your hands in the tank as that is what Cynthia practices. Can you take a picture of the fish or swim video

This sounds very similar to a fish I have that developed ich soon after displaying those symptoms, which likely took hold from the stress of travelling. It could possibly be a parasitic issue. 

What brand of pellets are you feeding? I know many people find Hikari foods cause floatiness. 

I would also trust what Cynthia says, she has a very good reputation in the community.

@Arctic Mama will probably be able to help you more!

3 hours ago, spider man said:

ecr fish are generally very healthy however you cannot mix them with other fish at least not for a long time. Kanaplex is a good medication for a variety of issues. I would also use latex gloves when putting your hands in the tank as that is what Cynthia practices. Can you take a picture of the fish or swim video

Hello, thanks for responding!  The fish is the only one in the tank.  Thanks for the tip on the gloves.

I need to feed duckweed, but the pomegranate sanitizer got delayed.  Do you know an alternate way to sanitize duckweed?

Heres is a picture.  I’m having a problem posting a video because it says wrong format.  I use an IPhone.  Do you know how to fix that?  I went into setting and chose the other format, but still didn’t work.  I’ll look again.  

Donetta

8E2A0854-3406-48C0-9C37-71A694B83ADF.jpeg

3 hours ago, hannah said:

This sounds very similar to a fish I have that developed ich soon after displaying those symptoms, which likely took hold from the stress of travelling. It could possibly be a parasitic issue. 

What brand of pellets are you feeding? I know many people find Hikari foods cause floatiness. 

I would also trust what Cynthia says, she has a very good reputation in the community.

@Arctic Mama will probably be able to help you more!

Hi I’m not sure what it is.  I do have parasite meds called MinnFinn.

I haven’t fed pellets since 4days ago.  I used a brand called Cobalt.  That’s was only 1x.  Before I was using NLS and will continue to use that as recommended by Cynthia.

Hopefully Artic Mama will be on soon.

Thanks for helping!

how long have you had the fish , he looks well in your photo, may be just stressed from shipping.  I am a big fan of the repashy gel foods . They make one specifically for goldfish

I would feed very sparingly with the fish food that Cynthia recommended.

Hi I’ve had him for two weeks.  Yes he looks good, but is just floaty.  I don’t believe he is constipated.  He eliminated his last meal I gave him on Monday.  I don’t believe he has parasites.  I think he has an infection or it’s stress like you say.

It’s been two days since I fed him.   Thinking maybe I should  wait another day.

I’ve used that gel in the past.  I liked it too. 

thanks for checking in. 

Donetta

stay away from the pellet food, give him a shelled pea and see how he does. Lower the water level to the lowest point so long as your filter works I would add 1 table spoon of Epsom salt per gallon, repeat when you change the water

The tank is 12 inches tall.  I dropped the level to 9 inches on Sunday.  The fish was raised in 5-6 inches of water.  I can drop it that low I think and the filter still reach.

I was planning to disinfect the duckweed tonight.  I can give him a little bit of that.

it’s a 1.5 tablespoon of Epsom salt in 10 gallons of water.  Make it 1 tablespoon per gallon?  Just double checking.

thanks!

Unless the fish is pineconing I really don’t think upping the epsom salt is necessary.

Some goldfish are just floaty and it’s more to do with their anatomy than anything else. :)

I recommended Epsom salt as a laxative to help the fish pass what may be inside of him.  I think we are all very quick to diagnose with swim bladder disease but the truth of the matter that float fish can be caused by a variety of causes and to actually treat a swim bladder disorder is very difficult. What do you guys think??

2 hours ago, spider man said:

I recommended Epsom salt as a laxative to help the fish pass what may be inside of him.  I think we are all very quick to diagnose with swim bladder disease but the truth of the matter that float fish can be caused by a variety of causes and to actually treat a swim bladder disorder is very difficult. What do you guys think??

I agree with that.  I did feed him half of a pea last night and he is eliminating.  How many peas do you usually feed a 4 inch goldfish? 

The water is down to 6 inches.  He is moving around more.  No perfectly, but more.  I’ll see how he does today.

thanks to you both for the help!

I would go with one-two peas per day, space them out and slowly increase feedings. Once again, I love ecr fish but they are raised in a very strict environment, it sounds like your little guy is adjusting. Remember to wear your gloves so you do not transfer any pathogens. Also, do not mix any nets or equipment that you may use on your other systems if you have them with the ecr fish

10 hours ago, spider man said:

Sorry if I came across blunt. I completely agree that many of us are quick to diagnose swim bladder issues but it’s a common issue in fancies and therefore a possibility that we can investigate! :)

8 hours ago, spider man said:

I would go with one-two peas per day, space them out and slowly increase feedings. Once again, I love ecr fish but they are raised in a very strict environment, it sounds like your little guy is adjusting. Remember to wear your gloves so you do not transfer any pathogens. Also, do not mix any nets or equipment that you may use on your other systems if you have them with the ecr fish

That really helps me with the peas.  Yeah I see he is really sensitive.  He needed the water at 6 inches not the 9 inches I had it at lol.  

I have to make sure I’m really clean about everything.  I only have one fish and one tank.  That’s all I can handle!

He’s swimming around even more now.  

Thanks!

On 6/18/2021 at 9:56 AM, spider man said:

He’s definitely doing better today and swimming the length of the tank.  Guess he just likes that 6inch water like he was raised in.  

Hi again, my fish is still not doing well.  He’s up and down.  I had been feeding him peas and he was doing well.  So I fed a tiny piece of dried seaweed.  Which usually comes right out from my other gold fish., but he got floaty again.  I bumped up the Epsom salt to 2 teaspoons a gallon last night.  This morning he was swimming the length of the aquarium and taking breaths at the end from the surface.  I thought maybe the extra Epsom salt was causing that since nothing else changed.  I  did  a water change to bring the salt back down to the original level at 1 1/2 tablespoons per 10 gallon.  Bad move since he got more floaty and even sinking some.  He’s just under the top of the water now, a leaning sa little on his side.

This sucks.  I put together this fabulous tank set up and the little guy is in pain ☹️.

I checked on him a minute ago and I saw this super long poop string about twice his body length.  When he first arrived he had normal poop in the bag, but as time went on it was white and stringy.  I figured that happened because initially I wasn’t feeding him and that was just mucus lining.   But yesterday he ate the sushi Nori for breakfast and half a pea later on.  He excreted green poops, but why this long poop after that.  I was told this could indicate a bacterial infection.  

I feel like what I’m doing is hurting him.  Maybe I should stop doing any kind of treatments.  

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Spiderman are you out there???

Thanks

Donetta

Please do not feed him any freeze dried anything, stay with the peas and  use the food that ecr uses along with a good food. Until he stabilizes do not feed him anything