Ranchu goldfish questions

120 gallon planted pond

I'm going to be getting some ranchu goldfish for my pond and I was wondering, how do you prevent the goldfish's wen covering its eye.

I will be feeding shrimp pellets, bloodworms, and vegetebles.

Another question I have is are they difficult to take care of?  I've heard lots of opinions, and I would like to hear your guys opinion too.

Thank you in advance. :)

:welcome

(As far as I know) there’s no real way to prevent the wen covering the eye but if it does it can be corrected. Chus are not any more difficult to look after than any other goldfish but they can be more prone to swimbladder issues and a little more delicate. Just watch your water quality and you’ll be fine!

Ok, well, I've heard that the more protein you give them the more their wen grows?  And maybe if I feed less protein they wont grow as much wen?

You can avoid feeding excess protein but still make sure they’re getting enough. A lot of it is just down to luck with wen tissue though. :)

I would provide more of a balanced diet than what you are planning. Look at gel food products by repashy. There is a brand made just for goldfish that is excellent. Those other foods should be given as treats. Try to buy all of your fish at one time from one source. You get disease issues when you mix from different sources especially if you do not quarantine.  One other concern is that ranchus do not like deep water. If your pond is under 24 inches in depth you should be ok

Well if they dont like deep water why would I be ok if it was under 24 inches?  My pond is 24 inches deep btw.  I'll get the repashy super gold gel food.  Also is the more "high quality" ranchu goldfish more inbred?

Its very hard to say if a fish has been inbred. The best option is to buy from high quality breeders who offer some sort of guarantee. I love ranchus a lot, I select mine based on proper grooming guidelines for their backs, fins, and depth of their body. Try to buy smooth backed ranchu who are not too compact in size. The more compact a fish is, the more issues they are prone to, like swimbladder dysfunction. Personally, I recommend Goldfish Island for ranchu. They have a 7 day guarantee which is rare, they also stock some beautiful fish. They treat for parasites weekly and stand by their goldfish. I had a problem with one of mine having some raised scales and a bit of fin rot. They refunded me no questions asked besides needing a picture and the fish is still alive and in treatment. If you do decide to go the online route for fish, I HIGHLY recommend doing overnight or 1 day shipping. I would stay away from king koi. Both my fish from them died in 5 days.

you should be fine with your pond, I would go and try it.  All of these fancy fish are technically in bred. To establish a line of fish often baby fish are bred back to parent fish to establish the characteristics that you are looking for. If you breed unrelated fish you will get a lot of variance versus if you breed fish from already an establish line of fish. So if you want to breed these ranchu, by several from the same breeder, raise them up and breed them

I also highly recommend avoiding King Koi. They sell fish with OBVIOUS health problems even in the photos on their site. They dupe a lot of non experienced people into buying sick fish and then try to shirk responsibility or dodge refunding.

I no longer buy fancy goldfish as I cannot find anybody that does not import and I have simply had too many problems with imports. I will probably pull out of goldfish once my current ones pass away.

I have several left I got from Bo Zhao of Zhao's Fancies. I had a HORRIBLE systemwide bacterial infection after adding a few of his fish last time. He said adding his fish to a system that only contained his fish was totally fine... So I did that without quarantine and the newer fish I got from him brought something nasty with them that infected EVERYONE. I lost 2 of the ones I had from him prior to the new batch... And ended up losing one of the new ones as well. I had to use meds and PP and it was such a pain treating them but the rest survived. That was spring 2020 and all the survivors are still alive today. After that happened - I haven't bought anymore fish at all. I have less time these days and will just pull out of goldfish for a while once these pass away.

My oldest and strongest little boy is a tiny white Ryukin who just never grew that I had for 4 or 5 years now. His brother and sister I had for a few years too but lost them due to illness (my own) and resulting neglect of their system. He somehow survived though along with 2 Petco Shubunkins. All those Ryukins were USA bred and not kept with or around imports and have been the healthiest fish I have had that I got from breeders. 

I simply will not buy from importers nor will I recommend any of them. You'll usually end up with a sick fish one way or the other. Even the user who recommended Goldfish Island (an importer) ended up with a sick fish. Their customer service seems on point which is great, but they still sell sick and diseased animals... Which is just problematic IMO.

East Coast Ranchu is a breeder and she sells starter packs of young ranchu. She is very passionate and also has good customer service.

Thanks everyone for helping out!  I think i will be going to get my goldfish at coastgemusa since i can go to the actual place.  These goldfish are going to be sooo cute.  :)

4 minutes ago, Maxwell09 said:

Thanks everyone for helping out!  I think i will be going to get my goldfish at coastgemusa since i can go to the actual place.  These goldfish are going to be sooo cute.  :)

Make sure to post photos!

7 hours ago, Maxwell09 said:

Fellow (ex) San Diegan here, just got 2 fish from Coast Gem. I do love their fish, they don’t quarantine them so make sure to treat them with Praziquantel! And def post pictures (:

Will do for sure!  Could I salt dip them instead of the Praziquantel?

48 minutes ago, Maxwell09 said:

Will do for sure!  Could I salt dip them instead of the Praziquantel?

It’s suggested to do both salt and praziquantel as they will work in tandem to kill parasites, here’s the procedure for new fish: 

If the fish you’re adding to the pond are all bought at the same time you could potentially just treat the pond with praziquantel, or do salt in the pond and praziquantel dips since it would use a lot to treat the whole pond. To do a dip you would mix the prazi in the correct ratio and dip each fish for around 3 hours and then return it to the pond. You’d do that every 3 days for 3 dips total. If you purchase the fish at different times I would definitely suggest quarantine tubs, you could just get some food safe sterilite tubs to quarantine. It’s a little annoying but it is worth it as the fish likely haven’t been treated for parasites before. Prazi is also considered very safe for fish and cycled systems. Just make sure to choose the healthiest fish, looking out for red or white spots on the body and fins.

Oh ok, cool I will do that.  Are dojo loaches good with them?  My water is 16 gh 7.6 ph, is that fine?

11 hours ago, Maxwell09 said:

Oh ok, cool I will do that.  Are dojo loaches good with them?  My water is 16 gh 7.6 ph, is that fine?

Its possible to do them together in certain circumstances, however with the size of your pond and the number of goldfish you are getting, it would likely be too overstocked to accommodate enough dojo loaches. Goldfish are extremely dirty and dojo loaches need a group of fish because they are social (generally at least 5 fish). I personally wouldn't keep other fish with fancy goldfish, just because you don't know how they will do together and can cause damage to each other or out compete each other for food.

MANY OF THE IMPORTS ARE RESISTANT TO SALT SO  IF YOU ARE GETTING ALL OF THE FISH FROM COAST GEMS THEN DO NOT MIX THEM WITH OTHER FISH FROM OTHER VENDORS. BEFORE YOU MEDICATE, OBSERVE YOUR FISH CAREFULLY, MAKE SURE YOUR WATER PARAMETERS ARE EXCELLENT, OFTEN WE TREAT FISH WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM.

EAST COAST RANCHU (CYNTHIA) IS EXCELLENT. SHE IS A LOCAL BREEDER, DO NOT MIX IMPORTS OR ANY OTHER FISH WITH HER FISH SHE REARS THEM IN  A VERY STRICT MANNER

Ok, will do everything you guys said.  THANKS!!

Max

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, im back here is the pictures of the goldfish!

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

20210627_094502.jpg

Thank you hannah!  Time to change my status!

• Admin

That is a very nice pond.

The fish are really nice looking from what I can see. You did a great job.

How are the fish doing in there? 

They are doing great!  However one came with sbd but it is getting better after I did an epsom salt bath.  So I think it will get better!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 7/11/2021 at 9:49 PM, Maxwell09 said:

They are doing great!  However one came with sbd but it is getting better after I did an epsom salt bath.  So I think it will get better!

If you can find it. Get some Duckweed. That will normally clean out the fish and help with SBD :) 

Im so glad they are doing great! :)