Stubborn flukes?

Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.25ppm (seachem safe dosed)

Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm

Nitrate level(Tank) 0ppm

Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

Nitrate level(Tap) 0

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) test kit says 7.0 but it drops to around 6.8 if not buffered, water board claims it’s 7.5

Other Required Info: Buffered with seachem neutral regulator & crushed coral added to filter yesterday 

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 33G / 127l - a week

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? seachem tidal 75 (1500lph)

How often do you change the water and how much? monitoring daily, 75% change normally on day 2 depending on ammonia reading

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today 75%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 black moor about 5”

What kind of water additives or conditioners? seachem neutral regulator / seachem safe / crushed coral

What do you feed your fish and how often? saki hikari 3x a day

Any new fish added to the tank? lone fish 

Any medications added to the tank? Single dose fluke solve (praziquantel), 0.1% salt

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

started QT in 10G upon getting the fish, 0.3% salt & 2 rounds of prazi moved to 33G after about 2 weeks 

moved fish to 10G 

today dosed salt to 0.1% and added prazi (approx a week since finishing last round?)

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

He had odd whiteish patches on him that resolved in the first salt bath so assumed it was slime coat overgrowth, patches have returned today.

His fins were a bit battered coming from the shop (you can probably see the white regrowth in photo)

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

flashing, yawning and darting occasionally 

Bottom sitting when I came home today from being out however he is much more active since having a water change. No problems eating, normally very active, playful and otherwise healthy looking.

I’m wondering if maybe:

- he has prazi resistant flukes and I should try flubendazole or something else

- i’m using the prazi completely wrong

- or something else is going on? :wacko:

He will not stay still for photos!AA93861D-A773-47EF-B355-FFD11EDA796C.thumb.jpeg.0f89639c2d5b78345162f8fbbd3da127.jpeg

• Helper

Hi Hannah! Is he having any floating or drifting issues when not swimming actively? I ask this because sometimes fish with swimbladder issues can appear or dart or flash because of how they swim when they’re trying to defeat their buoyancy/imbalances, I have one who you’d swear was a dart/flash guy, but he’s been doing it for a year and a half and he’s also my first fish to turn upside down pinned to the top of the tank if I overfeed ;)

If the answer to this is negative, the next course I’d have you try is ten days of Paraguard. It works fine with the salt in and will help nail additional potential ectoparasites, if it isn’t flukes causing the issue. Three week long rounds of prazi (three days in, the four days out, repeat) should take care of any flukes currently attached or hatching out, which it sounds like you have done.

Thanks for replying Taryl, great to see you’re still active here! :hi

His rear end does tilt upwards a bit and he has to correct himself when he’s sifting through the substrate but that’s the only floaty behaviour I’ve noticed.

He’s had a few episodes of rolling around in the substrate pretty violently hence why I assumed flukes, but I will fast him today and see how he does!

It may take me a month plus to get ParaGuard as I have to import it from the US, is it worth keeping on hand?

Just noticed a small mistake in original post, fish is still in the 33G, not the 10G 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Helper

Since we don’t know what is causing this, you could try several treatments like malachite green and dimilin and the like, and see if it helps. Any chemical treatment for Ich is actually going to be what you’re looking for, if you have some local candidates I can check the ingredients list. Paraguard is a lot more gentle, but that’s a long ship lead time.

Definitely starting to think ich now, he’s had white spots appear overnight. 

Next day I can get:

API White Spot Cure (can’t find ingredients)

Interpet Anti White Spot (Formaldehyde / Malachite Green Oxylate)

King British White Spot Control (Malachite Green / Acriflavine / Quinine Sulfate)

Waterlife Protozin (can’t find ingredients)

Possibly Seachem Cupramine

or I could get hold of a heater?

8C233454-E8A4-4A54-B9B6-4C849A352B59.jpeg

0EACEDE4-08A4-4E04-B160-90004F754B4D.jpeg

• Helper

Go with the King British, but remove all the salt first before beginning that treatment or they will interact.

Okay, should be delivered today, will get it started when I get home. Thank you. 😊

He was bottom sitting pretty much all day yesterday, only moving when I fed him but he’s way more active today and I haven’t seem him flash much. I moved him to a 10 gal w/ sponge filters and no substrate to cut down on maintenance and volume of meds, and to prevent him injuring himself flashing and bottom sitting.

I noticed this on his left eye, I may be worrying about nothing but thought I’d post it.

Kinda hard to see in the photo but it’s almost like a brownish film forming over the lens?

7131EB25-5978-4142-A4D0-E78830741319.jpeg

• Helper

Could be an infection, could just be slime coat. Tough to say but I’m inclined to think it is excess slime coat from the treatment. Keep watching it and if it the lens gets milkier, bloody, or swollen/distended we can talk antibiotics.

• Admin

Hey may I say something :hummm

I looked above and noticed that your PH fluctuates on you? 

Can you do a test for us. I would like you to get a gallon jug, fill it with tap water. Test the KH and Ph of that water and record it. Then let the water sit ( with a bubbler if you can) then test it 24 hours later. I want to see how the ph moves. Im thinking he might be getting a ph burn. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, koko said:

Hey may I say something :hummm

I looked above and noticed that your PH fluctuates on you? 

Can you do a test for us. I would like you to get a gallon jug, fill it with tap water. Test the KH and Ph of that water and record it. Then let the water sit ( with a bubbler if you can) then test it 24 hours later. I want to see how the ph moves. Im thinking he might be getting a ph burn. Just a thought.

I need to get a kh kit but I noticed it dropped about 0.2-0.4 when I first ran the tank fishless, so I started using neutral regulator as more of a quick fix then got hold of crushed coral. I moved to an area with soft water about 6 months ago from an area that had stable hard water, it’s a pita!

He seems to have stopped flashing and seems to have a less white spots on him now though. :)

He looks great, I only counted 2 spots on him today, a bit of excess slime coat as expected, but my boyfriend said he’s not seen him bottom sitting or flashing/darting at all while I’ve been at work! 

Thinking this med may possibly be one you could recommend to UK people. ;)

• Admin
On 5/29/2021 at 2:13 PM, hannah said:

He looks great, I only counted 2 spots on him today, a bit of excess slime coat as expected, but my boyfriend said he’s not seen him bottom sitting or flashing/darting at all while I’ve been at work! 

Thinking this med may possibly be one you could recommend to UK people. ;)

This is great news hun.

Keep an eye on the ph though. I have water that changes in the winter time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The white spots are back and he’s started flashing again. :no:

Should I start the white spot control again (for longer this time) and get another bottle?

• Helper

How many days total did you run it? You want to continue the treatment for at least a week after you see the last visible symptom, as parasites hatch out and their eggs aren’t always susceptible to medication like the spawn are.

I believe it was 13 days which would make it 8 days after the symptoms went.