Rescuing fish for first time.. help!??

Guest Rubberhead

Guest Rubberhead

076944-C3-A50-B-459-F-A0-C3-C59-F69-E234AE66-B7-DD-EB39-4-C89-BC88-EDC516-AEBAE9C2-BF2-BFB-0-EC4-4369-8768-AFBBAAB302-B7CB5-CB000-144-D-4046-BCA9-AE8-E05207-B08EC0379-BF-2-AD4-454-C-AD41-A06-A01-FBB60Hi everyone. I’ve never owned fish before. We recently came into a situation where we can help out a fancy goldfish living in a Rubbermaid tote. He has no filter, heater, plants, anything. He is still being cared for and receiving regular water changes, but I want to help improve his situation. A friend recently found someone selling a 10 gallon tank and supplies on Facebook marketplace and bought it for us. There are so many things included with it and I don’t know what half of them are and how to properly use them. Could anyone tell me if any of this is useful? Also, after doing some research, I understand the tank may be too small. I intend to upgrade the size of the tank. But in the meantime, would he be better off continuing to live in the tote which is bigger, but not transparent, or would he be better off in the tank?

Hi! Welcome to the forum. 😊

Can you tell us how big this fish is? Looking at the tote i’m not sure i’d be happy with the strength of it so I would put him in the 10G for now with a filter. There are many resources here to learn about cycling a tank, until then daily waterchanges would be ideal. 

You won’t be needing a heater indoors, goldfish do just fine at room temperature. Stress coat is a dechlorinator like the AquaSafe. I would recommend investing in a full test kit (test strips are inaccurate).

Your only essentials right now from the pictures will be the tank, filter and dechlorinator, so I would focus on those for now. 😊

https://kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/topic/121320-kokos-goldfish-forum-guidelines-for-healthy-goldfish/

Any questions let us know!

2 hours ago, Guest Rubberhead said:

Hi everyone. I’ve never owned fish before. We recently came into a situation where we can help out a fancy goldfish living in a Rubbermaid tote. He has no filter, heater, plants, anything. He is still being cared for and receiving regular water changes, but I want to help improve his situation. A friend recently found someone selling a 10 gallon tank and supplies on Facebook marketplace and bought it for us. There are so many things included with it and I don’t know what half of them are and how to properly use them. Could anyone tell me if any of this is useful? Also, after doing some research, I understand the tank may be too small. I intend to upgrade the size of the tank. But in the meantime, would he be better off continuing to live in the tote which is bigger, but not transparent, or would he be better off in the tank?

Hi!  Welcome to the forum!

So, first photo: 10 gallon aquarium, bottle of dechlorinator, filter.  It's up to you weather you want to use the 10 gallon or the plastic tote.  The 10 gallon will allow you to view the fish better (which may motivate you and help you access the fish's health), and it's sturdy.  The tote looks like it's bowing out, but if you can sandwich it between a wall and piece of furniture, you could fill it up and it should be pretty solid (at least that's what I'd do).  Simply, the more water you have, the slower the water quality changes, and the easier it is for you to fix problems.  Smaller aquariums change faster and that could lead to problems.  You mentioned getting a larger tank.  Don't forget things like stock tanks.  They will be much cheaper than an aquarium, but you'll have to view from the top like a pond.  Of course, craigslist and such have great deals on larger aquariums.  I'd use any filter I had until you were able to upgrade.  A bigger tank will need a larger filter.

Photo 2:  Buddah head statue (If it's solid, use it.  If it's hollow, place it in your garden (actually I'd buy or trade you something for it.)), Tooth brush (for cleaning algae), fake plants (use them if you like, even some floating on the top might be nice cover for the fish, or chuck them), aquarium nets x2 (always helpful, use to get rid of left over food, poop, ect.), algae scraper sponge (for the sides of the tank/tote).

Photo 3:  Fish in tote.

Photo 4:  Gravel (I feel that there is no need for gravel, it just makes it harder to clean the tank and some goldfish can choke on it.  I prefer bare bottom or heavy sand.)

Photo 5:  Heater (you don't really need), Thermometer (use this to know what temp the water is.  When you add more water, or do water changes, take out the thermometer and hold it under the running water till you match the temp that was in the aquarium.  You always want to use the same temp water or you can shock the fish.)  Filter (if this is a 2nd filter, I'd use both till the upgrade.), Betta Fix (likely you won't need), PH bottle (this is part of a water test kit, but with out a test tube and the color card it can't help you),  I think that little bottle is another dechlorinator marketed towards betta fish, please tell us the name of it to be sure (likely, you can use this, it's not really betta specific.), Stress Coat, another dechlorinator (use it if needed).

If you have any questions, let us know.  Also, where in the country are you located?  We may be able to help you with an aquarium or a new home if needed.

Also, become a member of the forum and get to know us and let us get to know you and your fish!  :D

Good Luck! 

purchase a good testing kit that measures at the very least ammonia, nitrites , nitrates, and ph.  I recommend the api liquid testing kit. Do  not add any of those plastic plants or gravel. Purchase a conditioner known as Prime. Learn about the nitrogen cycle. If possible get some filter material from an established tank and place in your filter. That will help with establishing the nitrogen cycle. If your fish is small you will be ok for a bit in the ten gallon but you should purchase a 20 gallon long for one fancy goldfish.

Guest Rubberhead
1 hour ago, hannah said:

Hi! Welcome to the forum. 😊

Can you tell us how big this fish is? Looking at the tote i’m not sure i’d be happy with the strength of it so I would put him in the 10G for now with a filter. There are many resources here to learn about cycling a tank, until then daily waterchanges would be ideal. 

You won’t be needing a heater indoors, goldfish do just fine at room temperature. Stress coat is a dechlorinator like the AquaSafe. I would recommend investing in a full test kit (test strips are inaccurate).

Your only essentials right now from the pictures will be the tank, filter and dechlorinator, so I would focus on those for now. 😊

https://kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/topic/121320-kokos-goldfish-forum-guidelines-for-healthy-goldfish/

Any questions let us know!

Thank you Hannah!! He is probably about 3 1/2 inches, including his tail.

So the only chemicals I should be adding to the water is the dechlorinator? And then after adding, I would test the water? Should I fill the tank up with fresh water and let it run for the day before I transport the fish over? Or should I use some of the water from his old tank in the new tank? Should I be worried about shocking him temperature wise? 

7 hours ago, Guest Rubberhead said:

Thank you Hannah!! He is probably about 3 1/2 inches, including his tail.

So the only chemicals I should be adding to the water is the dechlorinator? And then after adding, I would test the water? Should I fill the tank up with fresh water and let it run for the day before I transport the fish over? Or should I use some of the water from his old tank in the new tank? Should I be worried about shocking him temperature wise? 

Yes, focus on getting him into clean, dechlorinated, filtered water for now. 😊

While I wouldn’t necessary recommend just dumping a fish from room temp straight to cold tap water, goldfish are very forgiving! They also naturally experience temperature swings especially if kept outdoors. You can fill the tank, dechlorinate it, leave it running with the filter for the day if you feel more comfortable. As you don’t have a test kit, I would put him in a bucket in the original water and add a small amount from the 10G every 10-15 minutes for say, an hour to acclimate him in case there is a pH difference. Then move him over.

If you can, get some Seachem Safe or Seachem Prime and the API Freshwater Master Test Kit asap. 

Once you have the kit I can go through testing routines with you. 😊

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.