Help my fish please

Can my fish be saved? Due to his dark colour I couldn't see him in the pond until I took all 6 fish out today for the startup maintenance. I kept him in a separate container in case he's contagious.

Prior to today I didn't see much of him as he would always hide. Only once and a while when the other 5 fish were actively feeding would he make an appearance. But he moved around slowly and would not eat. He always stayed down deep.

I pray he doesn't have dropsy but only his one side bulges out and the scales almost look like they're pineconing.

Can he/she be saved?

Unfortunately I cannot find a veterinarian around here that takes fish. I cannot get antibiotics without a prescription. All I have on hand to treat him with is aquarium salt.

20210505_122045.jpg

He's got about 7 or 8 gallons of water in his 12.6 gallon quarantine container. I added about 1/8 of a teaspoon of Epsom salts to some aquarium water then once it was well mixed in and dissolved I poured into his container. It may not fix the problem but it can't make it any worse.

While I was waiting to hear back from you, FishyMandy, I searched sick pond fish with Epsom salts on YouTube and all kinds of video links popped up. However there is debate over how much to use so I kept the dose on the mild side. If I notice any improvement tomorrow I may add a bit more with some pond water (since the pond will be filled and treated by then).

Fingers crossed. Thanks FishyMandy 👏

• Supporter

Try adding 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons. It's the lowest dose I do, I've gone up to 1 teaspoon per 10g before though 

• Helper

Given the way it’s bulging more on one side than the other, it could very well be a tumor of blockage. Is this fish eating and pooping?

Our normal diagnostic form is for tanks and not ponds, but I need as many details about his history and your environment and treatments as you can give me, please.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

there is medication called kenaplex. It is effective with fish that have dropsy or dropsy like symptoms which your fish appears to have. Increase water temp to 82 degrees when using kenaplex. It has been proven effective with dropsy if caught early

Well it looks like there is hope for my Koi pond fish. The very next day (May 6th) I picked up some Knock Out Plus (a Crystal Clear product). It is an all natural fish treatment for single-celled parasites and fungal infections. On May 8th I finally got my fish into my Vet. They did Ultrasound, X-rays and took a sample to send to the lab. They gave me an antibiotic called Ceftazidime that I give to him by alternating injection every third day. The doctor wants me to also continue with the Knock Out Plus treatments, at least until we get the lab results back. That way all the bases are covered. I spent just shy of $500 trying to save this Koi. The good news is that the x-rays show that the bulge is superficial and not effecting any organs. And it's definitely not Dropsy - YEAH! I'm attaching one of the x-rays. I'm hoping this info may help someone else with a similar issue with their pond fish.

Screenshot_20210510_132455.jpg

• Helper

That is wonderful news! Those sort of asymmetrical bulges often aren’t the same kind of issue as organ failure related dropsy, but hearing it was not caused by an internal issue is wonderful news for your fish! Hopefully the antibiotic helps, along with the pond treatment. Keep us posted here as to how both go!

That is fantastic!  Good on you for putting so much effort into saving you fish!  Please keep us updated and good luck!  :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

I just have to say that xray is amazing shot.

How is the fish doing? 

On 5/26/2021 at 12:56 PM, koko said:

I just have to say that xray is amazing shot.

How is the fish doing? 

That was a copy of one of the x-rays I had Dr Daren send to me. (He is a wonderful vet if you're looking for someone to treat fish in the Edmonton area.)

Anyway I put my black Koi fish back in the pond several days ago. So he's officially out of quarantine now! It took him a day to regroup to being back with his posse of other goldfish. But now he's better than ever, eating well with all the others at feeding time. He is definitely acting more like a koi now the way he raises his head out of the water while going for food. I am thrilled! 

As for his original big bulge. Its not intirely gone yet but will be soon I'm sure. The improvement in his demeanor is 100% so that's made it all worthwhile. 

• Admin

I don't think I have seen a good X-ray of a Koi. So that was pretty neat to see. He sounds like a great Vet.

That is awesome news. I bet he's also glad to be back in his pond. :thumbup2:

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a month since my fish (a Koi I've been told by several experts but I still think he was half Goldfish. Could it happen? I dunno).

He was back in the main pond, swimming with his big Goldfish buddies. Eating well, pooping fine,, alert and looking like a normal pond fish. 

Then two nights ago high winds and a Thunder storm. Nothing major, just a regular short aged storm. The next morning I couldn't find him. I fed the others and it was not like him to miss out on a feeding frenzy. 

Then I found him. Laying on his side in the shallows. Still barely alive so I nudged him over by the falls where there's well oxygenated water. A bit of mouth movement and the odd stroke with his pectoral fins. 

I immediately put him into quarantine. Added parasite treatment to the water (as per instructions) and a running air stone. All I could do is hope and pray. I spent well over $500 trying to save him last month. 

This morning when I opened the lid partially covering his tank I found him lifeless. 😭 I did all I could for him, I don't know what happened. Sure I could have euthanized him to reduce any suffering but we had come so far. I just didn't want to give up so easily. 

R. I. P. little black with orangey-gold Koi

Here's the last GIF I have of him, taken yesterday once put into quarantine. 

20210615_191625_1.gif