Unsure what is wrong with my goldfish...? Shedding fins?

Hi all,

We recently moved house and inherited an outdoor pond of koi and goldfish. One of them has become ill and looks very bloodshot/shedding its scales and has been acting off. We don’t know much about fish so wondered if anyone could help?! I have got a pond testing kit and the ammonia was 0.25 (which I have been rectifying today) the nitrate and phosphate were 0 and PH was 8. 

It has been isolated from the main pond, looks a little chirpier but also looks like it’s whole back will shed off. 

• Admin

:hi

and

:welcome

Please copy & paste the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank)

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

How often do you change the water and how much?

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

How many fish in the tank and their size?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

What do you feed your fish and how often?

Any new fish added to the tank?

Any medications added to the tank?

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

"If copy and paste doesn't work for you, quote this post and put your answers after each question."

Fill out what you can so we can figure out what has happened. It looks like a very bad case of Fungus. :yikes

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level - 0.1

Nitrite Level 0

Nitrate level 0 

Ammonia Level 0.1

Nitrite Level 0

Nitrate level 0

Ph Level, Tank 8

Ph Level, Tap - not sure if we have a tap for the outside pond? Or just collect it from the drop pipe from the filter? 

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? They are drops and it is the API pond master kit  

Water temperature? Not measured as it’s an outside one... 

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 Gallons, over 10 years  

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? It’s an oasis filter and a medium sized outdoor one. 

How often do you change the water and how much? We changed the water over a month ago completed as it was brown (!) have done probably 10% water change every three days

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Three days ago and 2 litres of change 

How many fish in the tank and their size? 
2 koi and 8 different size goldfish (we are aware this is probably too many!)

What kind of water additives or conditioners? An algae remover blue die 

What do you feed your fish and how often? Fish flakes every morning 

Any new fish added to the tank? No

Any medications added to the tank? No

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. We haven’t done any treatment yet... on the main pond

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fungus on top and face and tail fin, looks slightly bloodshot on body  

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

stays at the side of the pond and near the water drop tap, burrowing into the side? Would stay in the lining very still until evening 

"If copy and paste doesn't work for you, quote this post and put your answers after each question."

On 4/23/2021 at 9:31 AM, CrescentNewFishOwner said:

It has been isolated from the main pond, looks a little chirpier but also looks like it’s whole back will shed off. 

Hello,

Now, I am no expert at goldfish illness, however I can help move things along, so those that are knowledgeable on goldfish illness can help you and your fish. 

So, now we are dealing with two things.  One is getting your pond (and you) in good shape for success.  You'll have to learn about keeping the pond in good health while being overstocked. That will include things like monitoring the water with your test kit, and making appropriate water changes when needed.  This forum will help with that, as we have much solid info available with a simple search, also some awesome members who can help guide you along. You should also consider; if you are willing to work harder (monitoring, water changing), and enjoying more fish, OR if rehoming some fish and enjoying less monitoring and water changing would be better.  The important thing to remember, is that you are caring for water.  If you can keep the water healthy, you'll likely have healthy fish.

The second thing we are dealing with, is the current (quarantine) tank you are keeping the sick fish in.  You say the fish is looking worse.  In order to help you and the fish, we now need to know the details of the current setup.  Please fill out the form above (copy and paste again) with the info for the current setup.  Important things to address: do you have a filter running on the tank with the sick fish?  Are you treating the quarantine tank's water with a water conditioner?  What is the Ammonia, PH, NitrIte, NitrAte, hardness of the quarantine tank's water?  How many gallons?

Again, I'm not an expert on illness, but this may be fixable with a simple salt treatment and healthy water.  But I'd wait till a few other members chime in before taking action.  For now, just get us the details on the current quarantine tank.

Good Luck!

• Admin

:hi

It looks to me that the fish has either a burn going on or something else happened. But in the end it looks like he is covered in fungus and its eating away at the flesh.

I want you do get that Medication out of there. Its not really helping much. I know that @Arctic Mama is the best on here to help with medications. She will see this and help you as soon as she can. :)

In my experience with Fungus, I would have on had is Methane Blue as my first go to. Arctic Mama might have other advices but thats my first one. Right now I would test your QT tank and make sure that water is clean water. You might even need to do water changes every day to help. 

Salt is another thing you can use. I would change all the water out of his qt and use API PRIME to condition the water. Then I would do a .1% Aquarium salt. 

Great instruction on how to use Salt.

• Helper

Hi there! Is there any way I can get some clear shots of the fish in clean water and bright light? I’m having a hard time seeing the edges of the wound and scales.

I’m sorry the responses have been delayed, I missed this initial post and it has been a crazy week. But I’ll be up again tomorrow and am happy to help try and figure this out.

Hi thanks for replying! I changed the water yesterday after I posted that picture (probably should have waited till after!) here is Gerry. Don’t worry for not replying, I’m just grateful for any help!

BC3BBCB6-8762-409E-86B1-F41D15E4E1D5.jpeg

83CA71A5-B217-44AC-A18E-87681275D5B3.jpeg

34C09B99-F053-4EF2-9BE6-16AD635B4A8D.jpeg

4B7E4A2E-7778-4D2D-BA2C-B9FD6189CC5A.jpeg

B83788FE-13C4-4D2E-98CB-29CFB5D4D017.jpeg

147977B5-4A25-42D3-ADBD-55F71B098DF8.jpeg

B59056F9-D924-4297-8505-E8BE3068BB5F.jpeg

• Helper

Oh that looks so painful for Gerry :( I agree that methylene blue and salt in the quarantine tank (aquarium safe salt at a .3% solution, or about a tablespoon per gallon) is an excellent idea for preventing further infection and protecting the raw spots. I’d also recommend obtaining Triple Sulfa or Furan-2, both of which are broad spectrum antibiotics and good for these topical infections and rot. They can be ordered online. With your pH being higher, Triple Sulfa is a better choice. But if you cannot obtain that we can make do with the Furan, it just tends to be more effective closer to a neutral or acidic pH.

Please be sure to keep the hospital tank’s water warm and impeccably clean. Good water quality during treatment is key to helping his immune system recover.