Little lake leaking

Just finished with the koi pond leaking a few months ago and now starts again. To locate the 60 l per hour loss is taking some time . But used old troubleshooting techniques, go to where you last worked! So have by passed the waterfall -ok. Then checked the stream bed - ok . To day have returned to the no. 1 filter and yes it is leaking some where. Next is to drain and dry filter and re cement. Or just chuck and start over. Frustrated.  All this when just am beginning with a , new to me, fish , MEDAKA.

34712DB7-1F51-495E-9F8C-DBD00A8DCD2D.jpeg

On 3/25/2021 at 2:58 AM, mikroll said:

Just finished with the koi pond leaking a few months ago and now starts again. To locate the 60 l per hour loss is taking some time . But used old troubleshooting techniques, go to where you last worked! So have by passed the waterfall -ok. Then checked the stream bed - ok . To day have returned to the no. 1 filter and yes it is leaking some where. Next is to drain and dry filter and re cement. Or just chuck and start over. Frustrated.  All this when just am beginning with a , new to me, fish , MEDAKA.

Good Luck!  Please post more photos when it's up and running!

On 3/25/2021 at 11:35 PM, koko said:

What is MEDAKA?

Rice Fish!

• Helper

Ugh I agree, very frustrating process. Let us know how it goes, cheering for you and the Medaka :)

Bypassed filter removed plants and cemented insides again.  This time am using a mix of tile and wall fibre cement Pictured. 

Medaka seem to be ok. Placed 20 in aquarium inside ( warmer for quicker breeding I hope) and the other 20 outside in two pools. They are for mosquito control. 

0F945C50-F7F9-4788-A322-F16E87B51111.jpeg

FFC5DF9C-C174-46AC-8B8C-768CB5F47FEA.jpeg

That looks like a nice setup!  Can you post a picture of the whole thing?

14 minutes ago, Acro said:

That looks like a nice setup!  Can you post a picture of the whole thing?

Go to Goldfish photos area this forum and see at thread post “Sunset feeding time”. There you will see pond and filter no. 1 feeding stream .

Ahh yes, I remember.  I didn't connect that those were your photos.  So lovely!

I'll post the link to make it easier for others to see if interested:  https://kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/topic/133660-sunset-feeding-time/?tab=comments#comment-2053327

MEDAKA are spawning! ( arms waving for joy) , pictured female with eggs attached , males have the longer pointed fins. These are the ones inside at about 18 C.   

Still awaiting for cement to harden in koi pond filter.  I hope the cement is ok .Next is to set up the baby pond for the MEDAKA. Currently it houses  uninvited frogs and mosquitoes. 

Today was really nice to see that the hoopie birds have arrived from Africa. An odd looking bird that nests here.

8B17ED69-2D92-4CBC-979C-FD8D580A4DC4.jpeg

70F77812-DD77-4851-B4F0-F58AE3287B7A.jpeg

Found the big leak (I hope). This morning pond was down again about 2500 and so nuts began to think as to where else can be a leak so big as to loose over a hundred an hour? Got new cement ready and drained the filter , steam bed again but this time had a little look at the pvc tubing connecting filter to falls head and found the leak! Pictured is the coupling between two pipes which carry water from filter to falls and stream . It has opened ( a big leak) and just passed all that water hidden in the rocks and plants to ground under filter. 

5623C562-5794-4235-9E99-4D43017121BC.jpeg

• Admin

WOW. I didnt know they had eggs stuck to them like that.

Dang that is one big breech :yikes

Delighted to report that after re cementing filter box one and stream bed and repairing leak at pvc junction pipeline that little lake now holds its water. Remains only to replace waterfalls rocks and clean pumps . Pictured is sunset feeding with feathered friends helping to finish dinner . 

AC4313CF-40ED-4341-914F-29FEED59C4B2.jpeg

1A5DD2FB-9CE3-4BC6-B20F-1BCBCAC1B669.jpeg

50F5E977-F362-4213-BF85-76C7148FA86B.jpeg

DDFBD23C-8E39-4D6F-BD95-3240EDAFD513.jpeg

• Admin

Sweet. I am so glad you got it all fixed. Man what a head ache that must of been :(

Do the chickens feed the fish? :lol: 

I am really liking this thread!  Congrats on the rice fish, fixing the leak and . . . chickens! 

13 hours ago, koko said:

Sweet. I am so glad you got it all fixed. Man what a head ache that must of been :(

Do the chickens feed the fish? :lol: 

No they do not directly, but they are for egg and meat production with weed control in garden .  

Just finish with the leaking lake and wife reports that kitchen sink is slow draining. And she is making Pastiera  Napoletana today , so this  is very bad news as clearing the grease  clogged pipes can take up to two hours if really blocked up and screw up the kitchen operation. Well it was and it took two hours. I had put off cleaning it for a few months as it gets done every 6 months and then is quick as there is no block.  

As we know with chickens can come mice and chickens house is full. I have all sorts of things for elimination but it taking long time . Just got a super live trap which can and did catch an entire family in one go. Did not post pictures of the mice but it is interesting as the underside of roof is transparent plastic so I can watch them as the go about the business. 

• Admin

WOW! Hold on a Min.....You got mice that move over a roof and you can see them.... :yikes

I would be running like a crazy lady if I see a group of mice. I don't know why, it just freaks me out. But funny thing I love watching them in the store. lol :rofl

OK , you asked for it!! Here they are:

pictured is inside chicken house looking up at roof . Roof has a plastic lining , clear, then is covered with fiberglass panels and junk. So is unique in that the mice do not see or care about me and chickens but we can watch them. There are at least 4 colonies or nests that I can see. As chickens roost up near top of roof , they are disturbed by the rustling movements. Also pictured is my new “catch’em all” trap is has little one way doors where the mice pass through. Also my hen has found the sunflower seed bag and is filling up. 

2A0B7253-3410-4C6D-84C5-112DEC25F5FC.jpeg

A5D479AF-8DC9-4872-9908-0D9FE5BFE323.jpeg

42730EFB-876C-4362-9B6A-6B470CB61914.jpeg

5B75FAD6-5B95-425C-8F6A-B1B30D0E7FEE.jpeg

2A73B3D7-B524-4AEF-8994-FC3D0CF5BE60.jpeg

• Admin

Okay now that just freaky deaky. :yikes That would creep me out to see and hear them. lol

I love that last shot.... Doggy Crock with a Chicken in it ROFL ROFL 

5 minutes ago, koko said:

Okay now that just freaky deaky. :yikes That would creep me out to see and hear them. lol

I love that last shot.... Doggy Crock with a Chicken in it ROFL ROFL 

Well yes also freaks out wife. Who is very nervous now as just finished publishing latest book and is a little uptight about reviews, etc. and When I bring up mouse problems begins to “freak “. That is because last year when we returned to home from mountain house found house full of UN invited guests. Made a grave error in the elimination works . I baited  and as this does not produce a direct result but requires you to search for the bodies by oder. And I can tell no need of a special hound as we could not sleep in house until al bodies were located. Now have live traps for house and about 20 electronics devices to keeps them out! 

Hens are ok and one produces an egg of over 90 grams!! About 3 oz + I think. So they get all the dog food and scraps that they want!!

26 minutes ago, koko said:

Why not a cat? They would take care of that problem fast :) 

Yes it would and in fact we have a good mouse cat , Armida, at our mountain cabin. She is even pictured on cover of one of wife’s book , pictured. But here at our home Beline and Masha , pictured, rule and they like very much to play CAT BALL , a deadly game in which the cat normally looses. 

B09DA6F6-7573-429E-A925-92A5DC454541.jpeg

5C50D712-7B48-403F-81D2-EE661C3F09A5.jpeg

156E7ED8-272A-44E5-B276-0AB53EDCE237.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Lake leaks again + mouse .

lake began to loose water , this time was easy to find as filter box no. 2 was showing a stream out of its side. Bypass was  built and leak was repaired with quick dry cement ( great stuff)  but remains in bypass waiting for the cement to cure . But during all this have noted that pond continues to loose water but slowly. Darn ! Ok so now have put also no. 1 filter with waterfall and stream in by pass and tomorrow will see where is the loss now. Frustrating.   At to this the mice are still around in the chicken house at now day 26 from the special final solution treatment.But there are only a few left and with the change of diet hope that it becomes zero. 

Lake is back in normal operation with both filter units . Hope that now leakage will be minimum. Also pleased to note that there is little to no activity from mouse thing.  Seems that the blue stuff has worked but slowly. Now have a new problem, which comes up each year. Frogs singing competition. It is OK until we open the windows and frogs get more vocal. But we have solution for that,  .177(4.5mm).pictured is one of the sopranos.

B186391E-4862-4E46-9DE0-93B9A5F71056.jpeg