Jump to content
colley614

Cannister filters are rubbish. Change my mind.

Recommended Posts

I've been doing a lot of thinking about filtration lately and I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing I like about cannister filters. They're overpriced and underperform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, colley614 said:

I've been doing a lot of thinking about filtration lately and I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing I like about cannister filters. They're overpriced and underperform.

ROFL

I don't like them as much as my HOB. So I will have to agree with ya ROFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone who owns a canister is like "I can do what I want I got a canister. Sometimes I clean it and sometimes I forget. Its so good I bought 2." And for the money of some of them I think they're in the sump territory price wise. Now with a sump you get a separate prefiilter that you can change whenever you want without stripping a sump to pieces. You can have tonnes more biological filtration and you can actually slow the contact time with the media right down. You can't oxygenate the media in a canister to get it working at its peak. And with your return pump you can turn it waayyy up or waayyy down. Oh, and you can buy a return pump with an amazing feature called a feed button.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally. They have benefits over HOB for capacity, but that’s about it. Sumps can be problematic for space and potential flooding if they’re open, matten walls and sponges are prob my favorite. But I do run canisters and fluidized bed currently, I just also hate them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run canisters at the moment because HOBs wont fit over my tank, but I hate them. I always make a mess when I clean them, and they are so heavy and cumbersome to move and I always end up in mega pain after cleaning them. So I dont end up cleaning them anywhere near as often as I should. I'm ditching them soon for a sump and cannot wait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I run canisters at the moment because HOBs wont fit over my tank, but I hate them. I always make a mess when I clean them, and they are so heavy and cumbersome to move and I always end up in mega pain after cleaning them. So I dont end up cleaning them anywhere near as often as I should. I'm ditching them soon for a sump and cannot wait

I absolutely love sumps.

Need to add carbon *plop*.

Want to change a prefilter *whoosh*

One day I will set up a refugium with hornwort, scuds and a deepsand bed. I love the possibilities with a sump.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive used canister filters from the start and have to agree, they really are a pain.  But, the fluval hob makes me a little nervous.   I had one lose suction while i was away at work and it killed my one tank that had two nice fish that i had just got.  Well, i did learn the importance of having enough air stone since that accident.   Since then ive thought about getting an aqueon hob as that design seems less likely to lose suction.    But, naturally since then my fluval hob has worked flawlessly.   :idont

As for canister i like the kind for ponds that have backwash clean so theyre really easy to clean and you dont have to open them up.  But theyre generally for really huge tanks or intened to be outside becuase the plumbing required to use them doesnt typically fit under normal sized aquariums and is a little unsightly.  But im using one of these pond filters inside anyway.  Its clunky looking and sits next to the stand but its a breeze to use.

But long story short.  Sure HOBs ftw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goldfishbeginner said:

Ive used canister filters from the start and have to agree, they really are a pain.  But, the fluval hob makes me a little nervous.   I had one lose suction while i was away at work and it killed my one tank that had two nice fish that i had just got.  Well, i did learn the importance of having enough air stone since that accident.   Since then ive thought about getting an aqueon hob as that design seems less likely to lose suction.    But, naturally since then my fluval hob has worked flawlessly.   :idont

As for canister i like the kind for ponds that have backwash clean so theyre really easy to clean and you dont have to open them up.  But theyre generally for really huge tanks or intened to be outside becuase the plumbing required to use them doesnt typically fit under normal sized aquariums and is a little unsightly.  But im using one of these pond filters inside anyway.  Its clunky looking and sits next to the stand but its a breeze to use.

But long story short.  Sure HOBs ftw.

See, you raise a good point there. Canister filters for ponds tend to be built to a completely different spec. If you combined the features of a pond canister with an aquarium canister, you're looking at a completely different animal.

If you could buy a self priming, self cleaning canister filter where you could just connect a hose to the filter and back flush the waste out of it. One with maybe a built in uv and heater with variable speed pump. Then I reckon you're looking at a game changer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the one I have has a UV feature but it stopped working.  i was also hesitant about using the UV indoors anyway.

As far as the pond canister though.  Many have a backwash that only moves the water and the media stays put.  These are no good imo.  I like the ones that have a big sponge inside with a handle that squeezes it or brushes it off to get the gunk out.    Recently, i saw one brand called ultraklean that uses these plastic media balls that stay put when its cleaning but tumble during the backwash clean settings.   It looks excellent but it was pricey.   I may try to grab one if I see it discounted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
  • Create New...