Akshay hinge

Help regarding goldfish tank mate

I have been keeping fish from many many years now....but this is first time for me to keep goldfish.i have 2 black moor and 2 red cap oranda in tank.recently i had a algae problem in tank so i added a one golden algae eater in tank....will it be ok or it was a bad choice ????

Good question, my local shop recommends them. I'd be interested in the opinion of the goldfish community. 

44 minutes ago, Akshay hinge said:

I have been keeping fish from many many years now....but this is first time for me to keep goldfish.i have 2 black moor and 2 red cap oranda in tank.recently i had a algae problem in tank so i added a one golden algae eater in tank....will it be ok or it was a bad choice ????

:hi

and

:welcome

Well my opinion NO! Goldfish like to nibble all day and that fish is small enough for the goldfish to suck up into there mouths. Then what will happen is the top fin of the algae eater will get stuck in there mouths. That fin on the algae eater will stand straight up like a barb on a manta ray. I had this happen to my fish about 15 years ago and I had to cut the algae eater out of my goldfish's mouth.

Have you read our guidelines about Goldfish? 

So I personally think the safest and best algae eater for goldfish is the bristle nose catfish (ancistrus), either the normal brown or the albino. They don’t get too big, never get aggressive with the goldfish are very hardy, and adept algae eaters. 

If I’m right in thinking you’re golden algae eater is the Chinese Golden (gyronocheilus aymonieri) they can get pretty large and sometimes a bit territorial. They’re not my favorite with goldfish, though I don’t mind them in a tropical community tank. They also prefer water parameters that are more acidic and soft, as well as warmer temps, than goldies. Ancistrus that are wild caught are similar, but virtually all that you see here in the US are captive bred and very hardy.

On the spine thing, I had a similar thing happen with corydoras in a tank. I had to pop a few babies in to grow out while I was dealing with a cracked main tank, and one got lodged in my goldfish’s mouth. Not fun.

Just now, Arctic Mama said:

So I personally think the safest and best algae eater for goldfish is the bristle nose catfish (ancistrus), either the normal brown or the albino. They don’t get too big, never get aggressive with the goldfish are very hardy, and adept algae eaters. 

If I’m right in thinking you’re golden algae eater is the Chinese Golden (gyronocheilus aymonieri) they can get pretty large and sometimes a bit territorial. They’re not my favorite with goldfish, though I don’t mind them in a tropical community tank. They also prefer water parameters that are more acidic and soft, as well as warmer temps, than goldies. Ancistrus that are wild caught are similar, but virtually all that you see here in the US are captive bred and very hardy.

I think this is the fish hun...

Golden-Algae-Eater.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

7 minutes ago, koko said:

I think this is the fish hun...

Golden-Algae-Eater.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

That's the one I was thinking of. This is the one my local shop recommends. The funny thing is they stock bristlenose plecs and hillstream loach but never mention those.

Yeah don’t go there, not the best choice. Chinese algae eaters have their uses but a good bristlenose is my favorite by far. I’ve never had trouble with any that I’ve kept in any tanks, community or single species.

25 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yeah don’t go there, not the best choice. Chinese algae eaters have their uses but a good bristlenose is my favorite by far. I’ve never had trouble with any that I’ve kept in any tanks, community or single species.

I agree..... BN are the best ones if you really want them in the tank.

Don't put anything in the tank that would be able to fit in a goldfish's mouth. Because if it fits in they will try and eat it. :O 

Thanks a lot for all the replys guys.......i transferred the golden algae eater to other tank....thankz for the help....

PLUS ONE on the Bristlenose Pleco.  Just be sure to give them some wood to rasp on, it is a large part of their diet and it will help prevent them from trying to suck the slime coat on your goldfish.

Good Luck!  :)