Strange Color Change- Did I Do Something Wrong?

Hey guys! I have asked for help or ideas on this pretty much everywhere except on goldfish forums and nobody has ever had any clue, so maybe someone here has seen this before. So about 6 months ago, I bought this Thai Oranda from King Koi and Goldfish. Super beautiful, happy, etc, no complaints. Really all I can do to explain is post photos, so I will include the progression of what is going on from when I first got him to when I first noticed the change, to now.

Basically, I realize color changes are natural and normal, especially in tricolors. I will add that I am new to goldfish, but still this kind of change just seems weird to me. You'll see in the photo that his super bright colors turned ashy and muddy all over with the black taking over more. I'm not thrilled about that but he's still pretty and I guess seems normal enough. The part that is worrisome to me is the wen. I watch tons of goldfish videos and have never seen this on any goldfish, but a large black spot developed on his wen and it is now beginning to develop on the other side as well. It started off looking like a parasite or something, which I included a photo of.

When I noticed it (around the time of when I took the photo where it is first showing) I immediately put the tank through a round of Ich X, Para Cleanse, and Maracyn, and followed all directions (I didn't use these all at once, I did one and then the other). No change. Additionally, it's been about four months now and the fish still seems perfectly healthy and happy. There have never been any other signs of an issue except this weird splotch and change of color.

Has anyone seen this before or have any clue what's behind it? As for the general color change I understand color changes are often inevitable, but the fact that the fish just became duller and muddier overall within a couple months of coming to me makes me think that maybe I'm not taking good enough care of him somehow. I do large frequent water changes and feed a mix of repashy gold, frozen bloodworms, hikari pellets, new life spectrum pellets, and fluval bug bites (primarily the repashy). Even if it's too late, is there anything I could have done that might have preserved that color? I thought maybe it had something to do with the fish camouflaging to the black backdrop but I changed the background a few months ago to white and there has been no change.

62672860432__60E80EA5-D398-47A9-B3E5-5307CA66FD4F.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5689 (1).jpg

IMG_6109 (1).jpg

• Helper

I think that its part of a colour change in progress, I used to have a panda moor, when I got him his colour was pure white and really dark black, then his black faded to grey but his white alsp darkenee to grey before he changed to be completely pure white. Sometimes the colours take the long way around din getting to their destination 

16 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

I think that its part of a colour change in progress, I used to have a panda moor, when I got him his colour was pure white and really dark black, then his black faded to grey but his white alsp darkenee to grey before he changed to be completely pure white. Sometimes the colours take the long way around din getting to their destination 

hmm interesting, thanks! Do you think the wen is anything to worry about?

I agree, looks like a color change in progress.  The color of the wen looks like it's changing too!  I'm excited to see what color(s) your fish will end up!  :D

Keep us posted!