Maintaining Stable Higher pH

Hello, this is my first post here.

I am not sure if my tapwater changed recently because I don't remember having this issue in the past, but basically I started noticing that the pH of my tank has been super low, like in the 6.2 area. The KH and GH are zero and this may have always been the case because I didn't start testing for that until recently. So, I tested my tapwater, and sure enough it is super acidic and no minerals.

I've added crushed coral to filter and some wonder shells to my aquarium and plan to probably add aragonite to my substrate. However, I do large and frequent water changes. Every time I change my water, won't I basically just be taking out all those dissolved minerals and (hopefully) heightened pH and replacing it with acidic and soft water all over again? Aside from undoing progress, I also just don't want any big possibly shocking changes to happen. My tank is 75 gallons so I don't think using buckets in any way is an option.

I can't possibly be the only person with this issue, so what do you guys do? Also looking for product recommendations aside from what I'm already using.

• Helper

My recommendation is to just keep a sack of the crushed coral in a five gallon bucket, leaching in throughout the week. Add that to each water change and you’ve already supplemented some of what was lost. Little swings in hardness aren’t the end of the world, especially if you’re also buffering with baking soda - which is easy to mix in each water change and keep things steadier.

That’s my recommendation, a mix of the slower leaching buffers like the wonder shells and aragonite along with a chemical additive like the sodium bicarb to help with the pH and buffering more quickly. Acidic soft water is very tough for goldfish if it isn’t stable, and it’s difficult to stabilize. I don’t envy you that, but you’re on the right track.

• Admin

I have Ph issues like yours. I have find what @Arctic Mama said. In fact I like her idea of a bucket and letting the coral leach out and then add that to the water. 

The other thing is, dont do big water changes. I do smaller ones so that my ph doesnt adjust to much on them. My Kh is almost nothing in the winter times so I have to keep an eye out on my ph and …😁