PacoLips

Red spot appeared in goldfish wen

KD0SHXh.jpg

My girl has a red spot in her wen I'm trying to diagnose. It just popped up a couple of days ago and has since gotten more noticeable. It is difficult to get a picture of because it is not on the surface, at most angles you cant see it. 

jvP87PF.jpg

I am dealing with a mini cycle from upgrading her from a 20 gal to a 40 gallon breeder. Parameters as of this morning were

pH: 7.2

Ammonia 0.5

Nitrites 0.25

Nitrates 20

She is bottom sitting some but still active and eating, no clamping or flashing. Please tell me it isnt hole in the head!

Generally those wen spots are bacterial cysts, and your shifting water conditions could definitely explain it. If you ammonia gets above .25 ppms please do a full water change (it may be daily, or every other day, for awhile). I’d give it a week or so of impeccable water quality and if that doesn’t resolve the behavior and the cyst/pimple on its own, we can look into treatment. While it could be hexamita, that’s much less likely with what you’re describing.

If you need more help because of worsening symptoms, please fill out this form as completely as possible and we can go further. But I think this is just some weakening of the fish’s immune system due to the swinging parameters, based on what you’re describing and showing. And even if it isn’t, getting rid of the ammonia and nitrites and cutting the nitrate quantity will help keep the fish strong for any treatment, too.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Thank you, as of this morning my tank was reading 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20ppm nitrate. I have a hard time distinguishing between 10 and 20 nitrate, but its definitely orange and not red like 40ppm. pH was 7.4. I did a 90% water change after the test and the pimple area is looking better, but still there. 

My tap comes out 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. I suspect high chloramines. The pH of tap is 7.2 but off gasses to 6.0. I run crushed coral in the filters to buffer pH. I use the API master test kit and have been feeding sparingly (once every other day) but the fish has taken a liking to the moss balls and eats them when shes feeling hungry. She is the only inhabitant of the 40 gallon tank, upgraded to get her a friend once the parameters and health stuff is in check. 

Water is 70 degrees. I have not medicated for anything. I generally do water changes twice per week of 25-30% If I get lazy I do 50% once per week. I have two filters, an Aquaclear 30 and an Aquaclear 70. She has been lethargic and bottom sitting sporadically. I use Fritz ACCR as a conditioner. 

These were the best pictures I could get today:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Describing it as a pimple is accurate, except its red and sore looking, like a pimple you tried to pop too early. 

I wouldn’t worry at this juncture, she looks pretty good! That’s not much in terms of wen spots, nothing I’d say needs additional meds as of today :)

I’m sorry your water is garbage, that makes everything harder.

Thank you for your help! My params are in order today and the spot is gone! I'll be back here the next time the fish so much as twitches weird (just kidding).

Haha. You’re welcome to hang here, we love talking fish, it’s just been quiet in the forum lately with a lot of real life stuff going on. But we are happy to help. 90% of the time, water quality is either the root of a problem or the solution to a minor issue before it becomes major. The rest of the problems are almost completely solved or minimized by proper quarantine procedures and biosecurity between new arrivals and the existing stock :)