Last Thursday I discovered 3 or my shubunkin goldfish covered in fuzz. Gills red with labored breathing at the bottom of their 100 gallon tank. It happened suddenly over night. They had looked fine the night before. There was .25ppm ammonia. No nitrites or nitrates. Temp at 70. The ph was 6.5. When I took them out to get a closer look it seemed like the fuzz came off in the net. Putting them back the fuzz was gone and it appeared later that the extra fuzz had been shed in the tank. I did a 100% water change and everything seemed better. The fish were swimming but, no appetite. 

I have 180 gallon tank with 7 baby shubunkins. Only an inch long. They received a water change and showed no signs of illness. Yesterday one died out of the blue. No signs of illness. Today I checked on the and another one had died. Now every fish I have is covered in the same fuzz and looks like all of them are struggling. I have a dojo loach with them an his side has the same type of fuzz

I Checked the water in the tank all water parameters are at zero, temp 65, ph 6.4. 

im at a loss trying to understand what is going on and why so suddenly. I use prime and stress coat. 

my tap water does not register anything but a low pH of 6. 

I see Melifix and Pimafix recommend from a number of of websites. I am hesitant to go that route unless it’s the only option or the forum recommended it. I have seen just as many websites cautioning against it. I attached pictures. Can anyone tell me what’s causing this and how to treat and prevent this. 

I have 2 other tanks housing 2 koi and the other two large comets. All healthy except  a comet may have a mild case of swim bladder. Heated the tank up to help with digestion, stopped feeding and will give peas in 4 days. I had another case 6 moths ago and with the same treatment they recovered in a few days. 

DC31F4A6-949E-44EF-875E-CB1ED8354130.jpeg

A0AFEA49-6443-4F43-8BEB-375539CF4144.jpeg

D32C7B29-50E5-42CE-BF27-77D1AF371E0C.jpeg

C6442383-2E16-4DD8-9296-3E71C7EA62F0.jpeg

23BA81EE-35B3-418D-8AD4-64611F842921.jpeg

A89A267B-8CB3-4B22-AF94-21B8AB9113D5.jpeg

98DA0644-7E03-4265-9A0C-4E602EA47BA1.jpeg

7A8F0076-7080-4E47-8188-391F45D8FBFD.jpeg

D7FE1988-0594-4BCF-8E6F-CEF9EB043EA3.jpeg

Well the ph being so low is burning them....

Can you test your KH please... This will make a Ph drop over time.

I would like you to fill up a 1 gallon jug with tap water, test it, then let it sit for 24 hours and test it again. Report back with the results. 

We got to get the Ph at least to 7.0 

Shannon,

Thank you. I will work on getting the pH up. How much is safe to raise it per day? I know large swings can be dangerous. I will test the KH this afternoon. What am I looking for? I have and API test. I was a bit confused on interpreting the results. 

9 minutes ago, brookedevol@outlook.com said:

Shannon,

Thank you. I will work on getting the pH up. How much is safe to raise it per day? I know large swings can be dangerous. I will test the KH this afternoon. What am I looking for? I have and API test. I was a bit confused on interpreting the results. 

Well we can raise the Ph with out the Ph up. We can use Crushed coral and Wondershells.

The Kh test kit is normally sold by it's self. Your Kh should be in the 50+ range. This keeps your Ph from falling down. I have this same issue in my tank. Mostly during the winter months since it rains and snows here which will effect my Kh that will effect my Ph. 

If we go the crush coral and the Wondershell route then the ph will go up slowly. I dont like the Ph up as it raises the ph but not the kh..If the kh isnt up there then the Ph will go down slowly. Does that make since?