How to Breed Goldfish For Color? Tiger Stripe Goldfish

Acro

How do goldfish breeders breed their fish for specific colors and patterns?  What is the general process?

And how would one breed "tiger stripped" goldfish like these:

9f4219c41e6b91c02bceed6b6cf74700.jpg

Hi Arco, welcome to the wonderful world of fish breeding. You could begin by perhaps with an interesting book , Goldfish breeding and genetics by Smartt and Bundell. 

8 hours ago, mikroll said:

Hi Arco, welcome to the wonderful world of fish breeding. You could begin by perhaps with an interesting book , Goldfish breeding and genetics by Smartt and Bundell. 

Thanks for the reply mikroll.  Looks like a good book suggestion, I might buy it eventually.  At the moment, I was hoping to just get a general idea of the process, as in, how mid range breeders go about breeding.  I have had goldfish breed before, but they simply did it on their own and, at the time, I had no breeding plans.  I'm interested in knowing something more advanced than a one-tank-breeding in a living room, yet not as advanced as a fish farm.  I am pondering the idea of setting up a few breeding ponds for myself and maybe selling a some of the offspring if they turn out nice.

Hi Arco, breeding fish can be a very rewarding experience. Backyard breeding for profit is possible but requires a few essential things. Good breed stock . Ample space to support several tanks and a few ponds if possible. Knowledge of how to maintain healthy environment and food supply. Market for the produce. I have been breeding fish for many years as a hobby and find it very enjoyable. 

On 12/20/2020 at 7:29 AM, mikroll said:

Goldfish breeding and genetics by Smartt and Bundell. 

I found the book at a good price and bought it!

As for the breeding "checklist" above . . . I'm looking into good breeding stock at the moment, I have the space for tanks and ponds and currently have several glass tanks and stock tanks, have the knowledge (around 8 years of goldfish keeping and 20ish years of aquatic animal/plant keeping), and I'm looking into ways of marketing the fish.  But things are still coming together and much of this is just an idea at the moment.

So what fish do you breed mikroll?  Do you currently sell fish?

Hi Arco, That is a good book. Seems that you are well positioned for a great experience in fish as a paying hobby. Actually goldfish are not the best if you want to profit , at least here in Italy. Angel fish , guppy, and koi are better. Show guppy and gambusia are best. I have bred all of these. Now only play around ( too old).  Now I have my red cap , black moor, koi and gambusia. No guppy . You will want to learn how to stimulate egg production ( hand spawn) , maximizing produce. Raise or  make or obtain fry food and which food gives fastest growth results. As for health , you want a cheap effective protocol to keep your babes healthy.good source of water . A microscope is a handy aid. Breed stock is extremely important , minimum is two but 10-30 is much better. And sticking to one or two types . I breed only redcap oranda and black moor goldfish. Guppy require a lot of small tanks and heat. Koi need space , lots of it. So depends on what you have . Goldfish guide by Dr. Matsuri , pet library, 1972 is a great work even if very old and is full of good stuff. If you have trouble finding it I think I still have it in digital jpg somewhere and can share .

Regards Michael

I'd like to profit . . . but I also want to only keep fish I really like, so I'll have to focus on breeding the best possible goldfish.  lol  I do have knowledge on how to raise and make fish food (for fry and adults) so that will be part of making things affordable.  The filtration system will be an aquaponics style filter, so water will be extra clean. 

I found the book in a 3rd (1991) addition!  Let me know if this is it:

61IgTuNpyHL.jpg            51eII1TNFYL.jpg

YES!! That is the book and twenty years updated from my old worn out beat up copy.  You will surely like it and find it to be very useful for your project. That is what I breed for , my pleasure. But with goldfish unless you be very lucky you will find that in a spawn of 1000 there might emerge 10 or 15 keepers. The rest surviving for the local fish store . Really when you get a good trio that produce repeated quality spawns then all the sweat and effort is worth it. Just remember to begin with the absolute best that you are willing to afford.   I once brought “special “  group of fish from California to Virginia (two weeks stop) then to Italy, long before anybody was doing it to start with the right stuff. Much easier nowadays. Goldfish fry do very well on live food such as fresh hatched brine shrimp , mosquito larva, and worms. Also if you do repeat spawns baby brother is a super feed. Good water management is important but space is the most important part too, in a pinch kids inflatable pools are great. Here at head of this breed forum are several very nice articles are how others have managed. With all the research and preparation you should do well  and thennnn when the breeding bug hits you will be ready for the other books. Regards, Michael.