mawgui

Why Does My Goldfish Have a Bump?

One of the goldfish has had a tough time recently.  He has been losing color.  This guy was originally all silver but turned gold when I changed the goldfish food.  That is okay I think.  A couple months ago he had a minor case of dropsy (pine cone appearance just starting to develop) but I treated him promptly, following advice from this site from a year ago.  It worked and he recovered!  (Hallelujah!)   

He now has a bump on his side, which is clearly evident on the photos.  I did not see it arise.  It does not seem to have gotten bigger in the past week.  He is an active swimmer and eats fine (although he seems to sometimes bump into food rather than eat it).  I have three goldfish in a 20 gallon tank - one of which has grown like topsy and is three times his size  The tank is cleaned weekly and 50% of the water replaced.  The water tests fine.  There are no plants in the tank and no fish have been introduced into the tank for a couple years.

What is this bump?  Will it go away?  Do I need to do something to make it better?  Thank you!

20201203_231914.thumb.jpg.37428107dd120663746cb69a32f37554.jpg

20201203_232127.jpg

Hi, its a bit hard to see in the photos, but it looks like a tumor,

Unfortunately,  short of surgically removing it, there isnt really anything you can do.

But ive had fish who have lived happily with tumors for at least a few years

On 12/5/2020 at 1:02 AM, FishyMandy said:

Hi, its a bit hard to see in the photos, but it looks like a tumor,

Unfortunately,  short of surgically removing it, there isnt really anything you can do.

But ive had fish who have lived happily with tumors for at least a few years

I agree that does look like a tumor. :O