diggitydani

Aquarium Salt and Dropsy?

Hi everyone,

My 6 year old Ranchu recently started exhibiting some pine coning and I've been trying desperately to save him, but I keep finding conflicting information. Since noticing the pine coning, I raised the temp to 86 and I've been doing 80% water changes every other day. I also started adding Epsom Salt to the tank at a rate of 1 tbsp per 10 gallons. I've been feeding Metroplex and Kanaplex combined in some Repashy gel food (which is what he normally eats) for the last 3-4 days. I normally put a little salt in the tank during my water changes to keep salinity at 1-2%, so he's pretty used to some salt being in the tank. The thing is, I don't know whether I should keep salting the tank. I've heard both that salt puts more strain on his organs, and that it takes pressure off his organs b/c it helps him regulate the fluid in his body, so I don't know what to believe. Should I continue salting the tank during dropsy treatment, or should I stop and just rely on the Epsom salts? Or would it be bad to stop salting the tank given he's used to it? Today's water change was the first time I didn't add salt back in and now he's bottom sitting, which he usually doesn't do after a water change.

Here are some tank parameters for reference:

Test Results

Ammonia Level Tank: 0 (API drops)

Nitrite Level Tank: 0 (API drops)

Nitrate level Tank: 5 (API drops)

Ph Level, Tank: 7.4 - 7.6 normally

Q:Water temperature

A: 86

Q: Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 

A: 40 gallons 

Q: What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 

A: Cascade CCF3UL Canister Filter (265gph)

Q: How often do you change the water and how much? 

A: Doing an 80% water change every other day

Q: How many fish in the tank and their size?

A: 1 ranchu, about 4-5 inches long

Q:What kind of water additives or conditioners?

A: Seachem Prime and Seachem Acid Buffer, as my tap water is a bit high in Ph

Q: What do you feed your fish and how often?

A: Repashy gel food 2x daily

Q: Any new fish added to the tank?

A: No

Q: Any medications added to the tank?

A: Epsom salt (1 tbsp per 10 gallons)

Q: List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.

A: Metroplex and Kanaplex in food for the last 3 days

Q: Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? 

A: Nope, just pine coning. 

Q: Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

A: He's eating regularly and seems somewhat active, though occasionally he bottom sits. He always gets up when I go out though. He was floaty the first day I noticed the pine coning, but after adding epsom salt, that stopped.

Oh, a few more things I forgot to mention:

1) I have a UV filter hooked up and running. 

2) about a month and a half ago, his tank mate, a black moor died. Wasn't sure of what. Then my ranchu started floating with stringy and floaty poo, and I worried about a bacterial infection, thought maybe my moor had died of Columnaris. I treated my ranchu's tank (the main tank since he was the only goldfish left) with Metroplex and Furan-2 for a couple weeks. He stopped floating, but my biological filter was decimated, so it took about a month of near daily water changes to get the filter back up. I've been measuring zero ammonia or nitrites for a couple weeks now, but then noticed the pine coning.

3) The treatments I have on hand are: Kanaplex, Metroplex, PraziPro, Epsom salt, Aquarium salt, Maracyn 2, Furan-2, and MinnFinn

Espon salt is the only salt to use for Dropsy's. Regular salt will make it worse. Epsom salt pulls the water out of there system. Regular salt puts in back in there system and then they can't get rid of the fluids.

When was the last time you cleaned out the filters?

Can we see your tank? 

Thanks so much for replying! I just did another water change with no salt. Hoping it helps. 

The last time I cleaned the filter was Oct 7th. I usually clean it once a month, but on Nov 7th my biological filter had just barely been re-established after a dose of Furan-2 wiped it out in October, so I wanted to give it a bit more time to recover. I was planning on cleaning it soon but can move it up if you think that's better.

Here's a pic of my tank -- it's a 40 gallon breeder with my one Ranchu (Gil Sans) in it. I have a UV filter and an air stone as well as a canister filter.

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 12.30.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 12.30.33 PM.png

I got one question for ya :)

Have you tested your tap water and if so what is the:

Ammonia

Nitrites

Nitrates

and PH

You can treat the tank or in QT with Epsom salt and  kanaplex 

Your plan to test and change the water when the nitrates climb is a good one.

When dosing kanaplex in QT itneeds to be in the water for 14 days.  I know the instructions say 10 but that’s hasn’t proven as effective.  I change the water completely in QT once or even twice a day and redose the full amount of meds every time.  But as long as you’re keeping it in the water with at least the recommended frequency you’ll be fine.  

From what hat I am hearing you has six full days of kanaplex and a two day break?  Please keep it in another full week and see where you are at.  Just six days of it is too little.

18 minutes ago, koko said:

I got one question for ya :)

Have you tested your tap water and if so what is the:

Ammonia

Nitrites

Nitrates

and PH

You can treat the tank or in QT with Epsom salt and  kanaplex 

I just tested my tap water and here's the results, all tested with API drops:

Ammonia: .50 (wow, did not realize it was that high, luckily I always put Seachem Prime in)

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: <5ppm

PH: 8 (I add some Acid Buffer to bring it down to closer to 7.4 - 7.6)

I've been treating with Kanaplex and Metroplex mixed into gel food for about a week now. I've also been dosing epsom salt at the rate of 2 tsp / 10 gallons. I stopped adding salt a couple days ago at your suggestion. Gil is still moving around, though he's getting more pine cone-y by the day. 

I went with antibiotics in food rather than dosing the whole tank because in October I suspected his tank mate had been killed by columnaris, so I dosed the entire tank with Kanaplex (2 doses total) and Furan-2 (4 doses total). So since dosing the tank didn't seem to knock out anything but my biological filter, I thought feeding the antibiotics would be better.