Jenna

Help - goldfish tail very sore

Please help! 

My two goldfish started acting differently about a week or so ago. Usually very busy foraging around, they’ve been less active. They’re still eating. There’s some hiding going on. No bullying, they are very peaceful and seem to be good ‘friends’.

I noticed that both had some white clumps on the edges of their tails, though my white and red fish is worse and is getting progressively worse with red streaks.

I’ve treated it with protozin for the past 3 days and am waiting for the 6th day. I’ve also been adding a touch of melafix on recommendation from my local fish shop. They think it’s white spot but I’m not 100% sold on that.

The gold one seems to be improving but the red and white seems worse. 

Can anyone advise on whether my treatment is  correct? I understand the tank is too small, I’m working on that.

Test Results

Ammonia Level Tank: 0 (API drops)

Nitrite Level Tank: 0 (API strip)

Nitrate level Tank: 20 (API strip)

Ammonia Level Tap: 0

Nitrite Level Tap: 0

Nitrate level Tap: 20 

Ph Level, Tank: 7.5

Ph Level, Tap: 7.5

KH: 180

GH: 180

Q:Water temperature

A: 23c

Q: Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 

A: 70 uk litres / 15.4 gal, 5 months (I understand this is too small, due to upgrade) 

Q: What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 

A: Juwel Bioflow One Filter plus ECCOFLOW 300 pump

Q: How often do you change the water and how much? 

A: I do a 30% water change twice a week, one of the changes is a full clean using tank water (glass, ornaments, plants etc).

Q: How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

A: 50% on Friday 13th before starting treatment, 30% yesterday (Monday 16th) 

Q: How many fish in the tank and their size?

A: 2 common goldfish, one is two inches one is three inches

Q:What kind of water additives or conditioners?

A: I use prime and stability when adding new water. I’ve been doing my best to match the temperature but have just ordered a new thermometer.

Q: What do you feed your fish and how often?

A: Sinking goldfish pellets, about 4 each every morning. I give them a small bit of spinach a few times a week. They eat everything almost immediately.

Q: Any new fish added to the tank?

A: No, and I won’t be adding any

Q: Any medications added to the tank?

A: 7ml Protozin Friday - Sunday, last dose due tomorrow. 5ml melafix Friday and yesterday.

Q: List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.

A: None for the tank. Don’t know about the fish.

Q: Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? 

A: Looks like white clumps on the tail and red streaks. Can’t see anything on the body.

Q: Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

A: Both fish are eating but they are less active. The worse affected one is staying close to the bottom. 

Hello,

an update on this - it’s been suggested to me that the issue is actually an injury rather than fin rot or white spot. 

having reassessed my tank, there were some relatively sharp pieces of gravel and the ornaments aren’t particularly smooth. I’ve removed it now and I’m hoping that helps. I’m thinking about making a switch to sand.

Thoughts and advice on this problem still very much appreciated. 

A95B30A4-BB00-4BE4-AFFC-78C224934BEB.jpeg

FD949972-3DFB-48B8-814A-F355687E1F7E.jpeg

BAE04A6A-7748-4082-AF72-1B06FDE7B665.jpeg

54AD95D7-84EE-4840-9222-BB668C084D79.jpeg

Looking even worse this morning, please help :( 

the other goldfish is actually looking fine now, I don’t understand it.

3632253C-502A-4C21-A474-E95FAAF3822C.jpeg

Definitely not white spot.  Im leaning toward fin rot, but am not certain.

I think some salt could help, and Id probably be inclined to treat with something like metroplex or general cure

@koko @Arctic Mama what do you guys think

Hi @FishyMandy

Thanks so much for your reply. 
I’m really worried and confused about it, the other fish seems fine now but the affected fish’s tail is getting worse and worse. 

I did a 30% water change this morning with Prime and Stress coat, but in the last hour it now has a tear in it’s tail.

it alternates between laying at the bottom and gasping at the top. I have an air stone and I can see tiny air bubbles in the water. 

I’m planning to remove all of the gravel so that the tank is bare. I feel like it’s so delicate at this point anything that touches it causes damage. 

Yes. Next I’d try salt and triple sulfa, or meth blue snd triple sulfa. I can’t be more help at the moment, but if either @FishyMandy or @koko can help with dosing instructions, it looks like bacterial fin rot. After a week between water changes is the chemistry appreciably different? Like any pH or nitrate swings?

tag me back in if you need more help and I can give a better answer later in the evening, I have a splitting migraine right now I’m trying to sleep off though and the screen is stabby 😖

@Arctic Mama @koko @FishyMandy

No I haven’t noticed any swings. I’m going to get a full drop test set and some aquarium salt when I finish work in a few hours. 

I don’t think we have triple sulfa here in the UK but I’ll see what I can get my hands on at the shop. Can you typically use salt with a meth blue treatment? 

Will I need to do another water change before the salt? I dosed with melafix last night but not the protozin since Sunday. I changed 30% this morning. 

Thanks, and hope you feel better @Arctic Mama

@Arctic Mama @koko @FishyMandy

Hello,

Feeling a bit defeated now. 

I went to the shop but could only find the aquarium salt and something called interpret anti fungus & fin rot, the ingredient is phenoxyethanol 40000mg/ 100 ml. From reading reviews I’m a bit hesitant to try it. We can’t buy antibiotics on the shelf in the UK.

I also don’t know if I should do more water changes to make sure the melafix and protozin is completely gone. Or to carry on with the melafix. I’ve read so many different things at this point I’m too confused to try anything. I feel like I’m making it worse. 

He’s lost a little bit off the bottom now. 

Thanks

FB069EC8-61AB-4577-AD39-A24BC28DEDF5.jpeg

Hi guys, sorry Im late to this party lol

One thing I noticed is that, the filter is an internal filter. Im thinking this is the start of the issues. :O

Can you get Colloidal Silver in your area? You normally will find it in the health foods area in a store. 

Hi @koko

I can only find it on Amazon, there’s one that’s “Pure steam distilled water and .999% pure silver, at 20ppm (parts per million) - Constant Current Generated” 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/300ml-SilverCleanse-Colloidal-Silver-Bottle/dp/B01AKIN8PU/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=Colloidal+Silver&qid=1605727610&quartzVehicle=705-1272&replacementKeywords=colloidal&sr=8-15

Would that work?

I’ve just added two tablespoons of API salt

fish has been clamping his fins but swimming round a little more. 

Yup that could help... Silver is a natural antibiotic. So it should help ya if you can't get anything else. I feel ya on not being able to find things. It getting crazy where I live now.

That’s not nearly enough salt, you want to use .3% of the tank’s volume by weight of the salt. That’s roughly 1 tablespoon per gallon :)

https://www.kokosgoldfish.com/UsingSalt.html

methylene blue can be used in conjunction with the say, and I’d use that OR colloidal silver. For antibiotics you’re going to need to order those abroad and you really should, as they’re good to have on hand. Your water is kind of hard and with a neutral-ish pH, so I’d probably have triple sulfa instead of furan 2 on hand. In addition we use kanamycin or oxytetracycline (one or the other) and metronidazole. When it comes to a good fish care toolbox prazi, metro, oxy, triple sulfa OR furan 2, meth blue, aquarium salt, and acriflavine are really what I use 95% of the time. Unfortunately chemical fixes are not really a substitute for antibiotics. Colloidal silver works in place of meth blue because they’re both antiseptic, though I think meth blue is cheaper and has the benefit of helping the fish with oxygen carrying capacity in their blood. But the silver is slightly antiparasitic and antibacterial as well, so it’s a preference.

@Arctic Mama @koko

Thanks both. I’m not sure he’s going to survive the night, he’s floating on his side at the bottom of the tank :( 

It’s really frustrating not being able to order any antibiotics. I’ve found some on eBay but it’s potentially 2 weeks delivery time. I now appreciate the need to have these things beforehand. 

I might be able to get my hands on the silver by tomorrow night but he may be gone by then. 

Thanks

15 hours ago, Jenna said:

@Arctic Mama @koko

Thanks both. I’m not sure he’s going to survive the night, he’s floating on his side at the bottom of the tank :( 

It’s really frustrating not being able to order any antibiotics. I’ve found some on eBay but it’s potentially 2 weeks delivery time. I now appreciate the need to have these things beforehand. 

I might be able to get my hands on the silver by tomorrow night but he may be gone by then. 

Thanks

Did he make it? how is he? :( 

Just now, koko said:

Did he make it? how is he? :( 

@koko

No :( ‘Here’ passed away early this morning.

At 4am (dog got me up for a wee!) he was struggling on the bottom of the tank. By 6am he was gone :( frustratingly his tail looked a little better. In the end he was really lethargic and it seemed like he was really struggling to breathe.

My remaining fish (‘There’) is the opposite. He’s now darting about and at some times seems a bit frantic, surfing up and down. It’s much harder to tell with his colouring but it seems he has some milder red streaks and tiny white edges to his tail. Both of their bodies and fins are fine. 

I’ve done two 35% water changes today with prime, stability, salt and stress coat. Water looks good to me and is typical of my tank. Please ignore the fact that I arranged the pH and nitrite the wrong way in the pic! I need a stand.
24A516A0-480B-44AD-854F-69B50EA30B56.thumb.jpeg.fd8227d25b1d0327f3cedd4c79a23e9e.jpeg

I’m trying to do the right thing but there’s lots of info out there to digest.

Have you ever used Esha 2000? It’s really hard to get hold of decent medications here. 

@koko Today he has white patches on both eyes 

279AE963-2018-4515-97C5-144CD0B9F9F0.png

A748F328-7855-46EC-B945-554FB46B9DE7.png

Hey I just was taking a closer look at your tank. Are those ornaments hollow in anyway? If so I would suggest taking them out. They can cause a whole bunch of issues with fish.

On 11/18/2020 at 8:41 PM, Jenna said:

@Arctic Mama @koko

Thanks

Can you find methylene blue? Did you get the salt up higher? 

@koko got the salt up but no methylene blue. I’ve done two days of eSHa 2000 and bought an extra air stone. His eyes seem to be clearing a bit. 

one of them was hollow but I took it out back when I first posted. I know that the water can go stagnant inside, I was taking it out every 3 days but maybe that wasn’t enough. 

Thanks,

On 11/21/2020 at 11:27 AM, Jenna said:

@koko got the salt up but no methylene blue. I’ve done two days of eSHa 2000 and bought an extra air stone. His eyes seem to be clearing a bit. 

one of them was hollow but I took it out back when I first posted. I know that the water can go stagnant inside, I was taking it out every 3 days but maybe that wasn’t enough. 

Thanks,

Well this is a good thing... :) 

9 hours ago, koko said:

Well this is a good thing... :) 

His eyes look fine now, the only thing is he’s clamping his fin a little. He’s also been fighting with himself a bit in the mirror. He seems stressed on his own, they used to shoal.  Water is still fine.

I’m a bit stuck now. I was planning to upgrade to a 240 litres this month but then one died. I’m now torn. I know he should be in a pond really but he’s been inside since the summer ended and it’s winter now. Plus he’s teeny tiny and would be eaten. 

Not sure what to do.

If there is just one in there now, it should be good for a while hun :)