Could I do 1-2 goldies in a 40 gallon breeder? I also am wondering about what breeds of fancies are the hardiest. I’m still fairly new to fishkeeping and I think a planted goldfish tank would be nice. I am running a 300 gph hang on back with sponge and Lava rock and floss I will upgrade to a larger filter (a 55 gal canister filter) when I have more money and the fishes get bigger so they can do well in the current. Any advice would be good. I am thinking repashy would be good food for them but i don’t know too much, I watched a few aquarium co op videos on keeping goldfish 

Hi! a 40g breeder would be good for 2 Goldies. I find fantails to be the hardiest of the fancies, basically the less they have changed from the normal goldfish the hardier they are in my experience.

Here is an excellent page for our guidelines for keeping goldies that you will find very helpful :)

https://kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/topic/121320-kokos-goldfish-forum-guidelines-for-healthy-goldfish/

Thanks for the advice

What would a goldfishes natural habitat look like. I know they are commercially bred but where would a Cassius Artaus live. I’m thinking of getting them from goldfish island or my high grade lfs which specializes in reefing and goldfish

On 11/13/2020 at 6:29 AM, NoahLikesFish said:

What would a goldfishes natural habitat look like. I know they are commercially bred but where would a Cassius Artaus live. I’m thinking of getting them from goldfish island or my high grade lfs which specializes in reefing and goldfish

Well goldfish where originally from streams in China and Japan.  They are part of the Carp family. So kinda like catfish, streams and silty mud. 

But we as humans like them in more clearer tanks. The best way I have found, to take care of them is....... Low amounts of substrate in the tank, light amounts of live plants and good good filtration. No hollow ornaments at all. Also I would suggest only keeping goldfish. If you start to add other critters to the tank, you might get some problems later. FYI

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.