Sign in to follow this  
Caretta Rose

Removing black trim from aquarium

Hey guys! I really love the look of trimless tanks. I was wondering if anyone has removed the black plastic trim from their tanks. I've seen a few tutorials on Youtube on how to do this, but they all are smaller tanks (20g or less). I have a 75g I would like to remove the trim from. Will this affect the integrity of my aquarium? Is it a bad idea? Would love to hear your thoughts. I want to completely revamp the look of my tank over the winter, and going trimless is part of the plan.

EDIT: Adding pics. My aquarium has these glass covers over the top, with plastic trim running down the middle. I'm not sure if the middle piece is structural or just simply to hold the glass covers in place. I want to get rid of the glass covers as well (they are looking pretty gross with a couple years worth of calcium buildup and I'm too lazy to scrape it, plus they are a pain when doing wc's). Hoping to get a couple gooseneck holders for my LED lighting since right now it just rests on the glass. 

IMG_0848.thumb.jpeg.fe02bb4f46b6959e2b12410a2aaa8557.jpegIMG_0847.thumb.jpeg.3b97715c2ac6ee9ad4c9144f17ebf99f.jpeg

Edited by Caretta Rose
adding pics

I did a bit more research, and apparently that middle brace is structural, and helps keep the tank from bowing! I guess I will not be removing the trim after all! 

6 hours ago, Caretta Rose said:

I did a bit more research, and apparently that middle brace is structural, and helps keep the tank from bowing! I guess I will not be removing the trim after all! 

Im sorry I was having a very bad morning with the little one. Yes that part helps keep the tank more pulled in. It supports the tank and the lid. :) 

2 hours ago, koko said:

Im sorry I was having a very bad morning with the little one. Yes that part helps keep the tank more pulled in. It supports the tank and the lid. :) 

Don’t be sorry! I’m glad I wasn’t too impulsive today and start ripping trim off. Seriously procrastinating and tinkering with the tank a lot. 

On 11/9/2020 at 6:48 PM, Caretta Rose said:

Don’t be sorry! I’m glad I wasn’t too impulsive today and start ripping trim off. Seriously procrastinating and tinkering with the tank a lot. 

Oh man I have had many of those days..... Thinking about doing something and then waiting to find out if I had done it, it would have ruined it :rofl