adnan

My goldfish canister filter started to leak

Yeah, it was very unpleasant surprise when after work (tired and emotionally sensitive :lol3) I  found out that my canister is leaking :blowup:. By the way my canister filter is Fluval and to be honest I highly respect that aquatic company. In general 90% of Fluval canister leaking issues come from the rubber O rings, because in time the rubber material gets worn in other words it is shrinking and starting to leak water out of the filter system. To give longer life of the filter rubber rings we have to maintain them periodically with silicone grease or lubricant in order to avoid potential leaking and provide longer life of the filter. Well in my case the leaking spot was in aquastop (that is the part which connect filter body with the hoses). Unfortunately I couldn't manage to open it from the inside where there are a pair of rings eventually to put some silicone grease or change them, so next step was to buy the same part online. Fortunately Fluval company provides big range of canister parts. Hopefully tomorrow or day after I will get the new aquastop, as soon as possible, because at the moment my goldfish tank is without any filtration except the aeration.  

Oh I hate it when that happens, I’ve had frustrating leak issues on my canisters the last few months too, usually a seal not setting just right and gapping in one spot. It’s actually caused some damage to my stand 😞

It seems like, no matter the company, canisters are just a maintenance headache and tend to be finicky and break. I’m personally done messing with them after this setup 🔥

Its those pesky Orings. They give out after a while of being used. This always happens to them. I had one that leaked from the prime button. :(

I support your opinions above  :thumbup2:

Well it sounds like a joke but as a conclusion to have successful aquarium hobby we have to be a good plumbers as well :thumb:

That's unfortunate but at least you've isolated the problem.  I have spare o rings and a jar of silicone grease to stretch out their useful life.  Now that I've dismantled my tanks using canister filters, I have BNIB o rings and silicone grease collecting dust.  :thumbdown  I've ruined stands, carpeting, flooring from leaking canisters and hob's.  Life is too short to worry about the next leak.  :hi

Here I found very intresting idea/hack way regarding leaking issue from the canister body. It may be useful for some of us.

The rubber band hack is interesting, I may have to try that on my Rena. It’s so frustrating that they don’t even consistently leak, just intermittently 😒

Well that's a cool hack. 👍

This morning I got the filter  part plus silicone grease and fixed it. Well, so far no any water leaks but it’s still very  early to say is the filter properly fixed, so I’ll be waiting till tomorrow morning. By the way I put a hacking elastic rubber band  like in the YouTube clip above, just it was one difference, for me 5-6mm band didn’t work as isolation between  fluwal motor head and body, it was too thick, so I used around  1-2 mm band and it did the job.

By the way all Europe is watching the elections :theater:

Mission complete, the filter canister is working in order :thumbup2:

On 11/7/2020 at 4:12 AM, adnan said:

This morning I got the filter  part plus silicone grease and fixed it. Well, so far no any water leaks but it’s still very  early to say is the filter properly fixed, so I’ll be waiting till tomorrow morning. By the way I put a hacking elastic rubber band  like in the YouTube clip above, just it was one difference, for me 5-6mm band didn’t work as isolation between  fluwal motor head and body, it was too thick, so I used around  1-2 mm band and it did the job.

By the way all Europe is watching the elections :theater:

WOOOT!! 

Yeah its not a pretty picture here in the USA, I tell ya! 

14 hours ago, adnan said:

Mission complete, the filter canister is working in order :thumbup2:

Yeah no more leaks is great news! :clapping: