Possible Nitrate poisoning in elderly Comet Fish.

kirst1995y

I have a 10 year old who up to a few months ago was never ill , the other week I saw she had some white spot like things so I treated the tank for ick. This didn't go so I used Melafix which had made her scales better last time she was ill . After the weeks course her body healed abit and before I was going to try Pimafix incase it was fungal I did some water tests. Ammonia 0 , Nitrite 0 and Nitrate way too high I am actually too ashamed to put the number. We changed the water etc and put in the normal water treatments plus some filter boost and tested again a few hours later and Nitrate level had halved but still too high . Tested the tap water and it came back as 0 ppm. Brought something that was the only thing  for Nitrate in the pet shop it is called tetra nitrate minus . Used to instructions and tested 48 hours later but same nitrate levels . It says it can take weeks so am I being too hasty? Her tank friends are fine , lively and growing well but she is at the top of the aquarium alot (not swim bladder) and when she is at the bottom she looks to be breathing heavily. Does she just have a warped immune system due to age or some sort of dementia or is she sick and the others are just lucky?Thanks

• Admin

:welcome

Please copy & paste the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank)

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

How often do you change the water and how much?

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

How many fish in the tank and their size?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

What do you feed your fish and how often?

Any new fish added to the tank?

Any medications added to the tank?

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

"If copy and paste doesn't work for you, quote this post and put your answers after each question."

Also photos would help too. I'm sorry your fish isn't well. We will try and help ya.😊

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm

Nitrite Level(Tank)0ppm

Nitrate level(Tank) 50 ppm after water change .

Ammonia Level(Tap)Unknown

Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm

Nitrate level(Tap)0ppm 

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6 PH. Tap water hardeness very hard so naturally so is the tank. Unknown.

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) same as above.

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Love fish strips

Water temperature? Unknown due to cold water. 

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 26.4 US gallons . Many years.

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 150 litres fluval.

How often do you change the water and how much? 1 third once a fortnight.

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 48 hours circa and 1 third

How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 various.

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tap safe and filter booster plus nitrate minus atm.

What do you feed your fish and how often? Pellets every other day .

Any new fish added to the tank?No.

Any medications added to the tank? Since water change none. See above.

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. See above.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Sores and frayed fins with black on them , fish is not black she is light yellow , unknown if this is caused by larger tank mate.

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Likes it at the top of tank when not at top rapid gill movement at bottom of tank . No swim bladder issues can swim normally.

Tank friends no signs of illness and growing well etc.

"If copy and paste doesn't work for you, quote this post and put your answers after each question."

• Helper

This is really simple and happens to a lot of us :) Simple put, your water changes are just too small to keep nitrates down. 50-80% weekly is a better choice, I usually just drain until the fish are barely covered with water and refill. They’re such big waste producers the numbers can really climb quickly if you’re not removing the waste and the wastewater often enough.

It’s not really a filter maturity issue either, but it CAN be a filter maintenance issue. How often are you knocking free all the debris in your filter media and pads? Sometimes canisters, in particular, can be a pain to clean and end up becoming nitrate factories as the broken down fish waste still keeps producing nitrate as it sits in there. 

Please don’t feel badly - I am VERY careful with these things and ended up with a tropical tank last week with nitrates well over 100 ppms. One fish died and everyone else was acting totally normal. The issue was the same - I’d been doing water changes that were too small for the actual waste level and not testing my water often enough to catch it. So I have upped the frequency and water change volume, along with thoroughly knocking the poop from their sponge, and the rate is now down around 10 ppms, which is where we want it to stay :) once it is above 20 ppms it is time for filter maintenance and a big water change, that’s a good, safe guideline.

Thank you Artic , I feel reassured now I think part of it is she likes her own reflection. Will let my Dad know to change more of the water , he doesn't like me doing it as he doesn't trust me to not get the water everywhere. Think the filter is cleaned every time but will ask him to do so anyway. Thanks again.