Treating Illness During Breeding Season

Guest gonzo

Guest gonzo

I purchased my orandas at mmm over the last four months. Besides one having Anchor worm, I think others might have some form of Ick based on their behavior (now and then rubbing the tank's floor). I want to treat them for parasites... but, I do not want to hurt the breeding that is taking place.

The 12 orandas have been producing many eggs, resulting in many live baby frys over the last four weeks.

A. If I use a product like coppersafe, will/could it hurt the any future eggs they may lay this season?

B. I expect more eggs later this week as the temperatures outside again climb. Can I wait to treat them once breeding season is finished after this month?

C. Can frys get parasites or are they too tiny? Should I treat my fry tank for parasites?

Thanks,

Clay

Clay, congratulations on the fish fry! I wouldn't treat the tank with Coppersafe right now, its a bit of a harsh medication, even more so when little fry are in the game.

As for the Anchorworm, I would pull them off your fish, and treat the effected area with hydrogen peroxide, and put a little dab of antibacterial cream on the spot afterwards. Do you actually see Ich spots on the fish, or is it just the rubbing that worries you? :)

Archived