6year old goldfish with huge bump on head

Itspamduh

I am here because I need help. This is Spot. Spot is my baby, and almost six years old. He has had wen surgery three years ago to help his eyesight. We moved cross country six months ago, but he seems to be okay from that. Him and his siblings have the right water tank and set up. This started showing up about 2 months ago, I thought it was his wen coming back but now I see it’s something off. I saw something similar and thought perhaps fungus so he’s in the hospital tank right now with a fungus treatment. Could this be a tumor? If so; what are my options ? Also what could it be ? Any help is appreciated.

2CA973C8-73A3-42F5-9014-FE3B84BE9E9D.jpeg

BC12243C-8137-499E-B836-D2E13B47B00A.jpeg

• Helper

Just from the picture it does look like a tumor. If you search past threads you can see we have had people leave them, try to operate, etc. The thing is, sometimes they grow slowly and sometimes they’re more aggressive and become a drag on the fish. My general advice is to wait until it’s making swimming difficult before trying surgical excision, but that’s your choice.

if you press on the lump does it seem soft and blood fills or harder like a pea?

Artic Mama, 

Thank you for the response =) 

The bump is very hard and kind of moves around within his wen when I touched it in the past. Does this mean something different than a softer mass? 

Thanks again. 

- Pamela 

• Helper

If it is moving around a bit that does mean if you’re trying to remove it surgically you should have better luck than one very integrated into his head, and firm means it could be fluid filled too, you never know.

Discontinue or complete the fungus treatment, though. It definitely isn’t that. But if you want to leave it alone and watch longer that’s totally an option as long as he is acting normally and eating :)