fish10

Black mark on tail?

These little guys have grown quickly, so I expected some change in coloration. Jelly Bean's tail used to be completely white, but now it has an orange streak (not concerning). 

However, yesterday I noticed a black mark on Lydia's tail. It didn't make sense to me that it could be an ammonia burn... the tank went through ~36 day fishless cycle, then I monitored the levels daily for a couple weeks after adding the fish. I measured levels weekly after that, with ammonia never reading above 0. Weekly 80-90% water changes. They've been in the tank for about a month and a half. 

As soon as I noticed her tail yesterday, I checked levels, and then did a big water change just to be safe, and added prime (see pic - all levels look good?). 

I've had some brown algae issues as the tank gets established, but that's it so far.

Any thoughts on what could be happening with her tail?

IMG_20200919_104308.jpg

PhotoCollage_20200919_104528560.jpg

Hi Fish10, 

Your fish are beautiful. Very shiny and healthy looking.

I can definitely understand your concern with this , as I have noticed a similar marking on my fish Magikarp.

I do not know what this is, however in my observation I have not noticed this spreading in a manner that is consistent with disease, Magikarp's behavior has only improved since I took delivery of him 3 months ago. I will continue to monitor this on Magikarp more closely, however as of today I hypothesize that its just a slight color change,  from my independent research I have found that color changes can occur due to many many factors ranging from age and diet, to water hardness. Im sure someone will respond to this asking for all the details of your water and hopefully may have more scientific insight as to why this occurs.

It's my belief that just like people fish are all unique. I would not be surprised if , just how humans can have a single gray hair, fish can have a single stray mark as long as it doesn't accompany any damaged flesh or behavioral changes.

Thats just my opinion. Monitor the behavior closely, while we await further reply.

IMG_A1324F89B832-1.jpeg

Water looks good, goldfish have very unstable coloration throughout it their lives, so based on what you’re explaining I’d assume it is either a color change naturally or there was some mechanical damage to the tail, like getting stuck to a filter or nibbled on, and it’s healing. Could be either, neither is worrisome :)

8 hours ago, J.Allen said:

It's my belief that just like people fish are all unique. I would not be surprised if , just how humans can have a single gray hair, fish can have a single stray mark as long as it doesn't accompany any damaged flesh or behavioral changes.

^^ This is what I'm hoping J.Allen - that it's simply a "normal anomaly". Thanks for the response, it makes a lot of sense. 

You bring up a good point - I should have mentioned that her behavior/demeanor has not changed at all. She's just as enthusiastic to see me as always when I approach the tank, eating well as usual, and swimming happily. 

Magikarp is beautiful - do you mind if I ask how old s/he is?

7 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Water looks good, goldfish have very unstable coloration throughout it their lives, so based on what you’re explaining I’d assume it is either a color change naturally or there was some mechanical damage to the tail, like getting stuck to a filter or nibbled on, and it’s healing. Could be either, neither is worrisome :)

This is a relief, thanks for the insight Arctic Mama! I'll assume it may be a nibbled/injured tail at worst and a natural color change at best. :)

I'll certainly keep an eye on it (no change since yesterday), but as I mentioned in the previous post, she has been acting 100% normal. So that is good!

1 hour ago, fish10 said:

^^ This is what I'm hoping J.Allen - that it's simply a "normal anomaly". Thanks for the response, it makes a lot of sense. 

You bring up a good point - I should have mentioned that her behavior/demeanor has not changed at all. She's just as enthusiastic to see me as always when I approach the tank, eating well as usual, and swimming happily. 

Magikarp is beautiful - do you mind if I ask how old s/he is?

I have only had Magikarp for about three months - Im not sure about the He or She myself, based on the rear anatomy I think Male, but still hard for me to tell. Magikarp also has a slightly less bulbous belly than my other telescope Goldeen ( I've got a Pokemon theme going) in a side by side comparison.  I believe these fish are all relatively about one year old, maybe at the most going on two. I have three of them, two telescope and a Thai Oranda, they range from 5.5 inches to 6.5 inches.

10 hours ago, J.Allen said:

I have only had Magikarp for about three months - Im not sure about the He or She myself, based on the rear anatomy I think Male, but still hard for me to tell. Magikarp also has a slightly less bulbous belly than my other telescope Goldeen ( I've got a Pokemon theme going) in a side by side comparison.  I believe these fish are all relatively about one year old, maybe at the most going on two. I have three of them, two telescope and a Thai Oranda, they range from 5.5 inches to 6.5 inches.

Sounds like a fun trio! I've been surprised at how playful they are, but then again it's been decades since I've had goldfish so I'm learning all over again. 

2 hours ago, fish10 said:

Sounds like a fun trio! I've been surprised at how playful they are, but then again it's been decades since I've had goldfish so I'm learning all over again. 

You have inspired me with a name for when I need to refer to them as a collective. I shall call them "The Fun Bunch".

I am also surprised by them quite frequently. This is really the first time I personally have ever kept fish and been directly responsible for their well being. I did bad at the very beginning with over feeding and things like that but I have now made adjustments and I think I have it dialed in. I don't know other peoples thoughts on this but I believe they are sentient, they seem to know who I am , what time it is (they don't use clocks as much as their memories of food), I swear sometimes at night I catch them watching TV if its on. They will play with my hands through the glass and if ever I need to reach in the tank they do not fear me. Some people might think its hokey pokey , but I often place my hand on the glass and tell them that I love them aloud because if they are aware of what's going on they can certainly hear and feel the vibrations in my home and water is an excellent conductor.

Originally I was seeking to get a cat, but due all kinds of factors, that didn't seem like the best fit for me in life right now. This whole project , from first having the interest in goldfish and doing all the reading, to building my own tank stand, scouring offer up and let go for parts and tanks,  resealing sumps, etc has proven to be a fantastic creative outlet for me and has put me on the path to some kind of healing.

I became freshly jobless June 1 of this year - to make matters worse it didn't end well, someone asked me to do something very wrong and I blew the whistle and got the clap back - demoted , transferred, and tortured until I resigned despite having excellent yearly evaluations, the hearts of my coworkers and our customers. I now have to fight for justice, all the while, being blocked from getting a job in my same industry OR collecting any of the funds allotted to help Americans that are unemployed. It was probably one of those pivotal points in my life, I was part of corporate America -I knew it was bad when I was there- but I didn't realize how much I had lost myself and it was sucking the life out of me until I was no longer in the situation. I still don't know exactly what Im going to do but ever since I have accepted the responsibility of these fish well being and I have become a man of service, while I feel uncertain and empty -my mind is unfettered and it seems as though when I need them, now the answers can come right in.

on a lighter note: I am terribly interested in those cups with what looks like plant seedlings in your tank- what's going on there?

Best regards, 

Jordan

10 hours ago, J.Allen said:

I am also surprised by them quite frequently. This is really the first time I personally have ever kept fish and been directly responsible for their well being. I did bad at the very beginning with over feeding and things like that but I have now made adjustments and I think I have it dialed in. I don't know other peoples thoughts on this but I believe they are sentient, they seem to know who I am , what time it is (they don't use clocks as much as their memories of food), I swear sometimes at night I catch them watching TV if its on. They will play with my hands through the glass and if ever I need to reach in the tank they do not fear me. Some people might think its hokey pokey , but I often place my hand on the glass and tell them that I love them aloud because if they are aware of what's going on they can certainly hear and feel the vibrations in my home and water is an excellent conductor.

Originally I was seeking to get a cat, but due all kinds of factors, that didn't seem like the best fit for me in life right now. This whole project , from first having the interest in goldfish and doing all the reading, to building my own tank stand, scouring offer up and let go for parts and tanks,  resealing sumps, etc has proven to be a fantastic creative outlet for me and has put me on the path to some kind of healing.

I became freshly jobless June 1 of this year - to make matters worse it didn't end well, someone asked me to do something very wrong and I blew the whistle and got the clap back - demoted , transferred, and tortured until I resigned despite having excellent yearly evaluations, the hearts of my coworkers and our customers. I now have to fight for justice, all the while, being blocked from getting a job in my same industry OR collecting any of the funds allotted to help Americans that are unemployed. It was probably one of those pivotal points in my life, I was part of corporate America -I knew it was bad when I was there- but I didn't realize how much I had lost myself and it was sucking the life out of me until I was no longer in the situation. I still don't know exactly what Im going to do but ever since I have accepted the responsibility of these fish well being and I have become a man of service, while I feel uncertain and empty -my mind is unfettered and it seems as though when I need them, now the answers can come right in.

Sounds like you've had some meaningful life moments recently! Glad the fish can provide some mental clarity. I agree - it is a joy to care for them and they provide more interaction than I anticipated. I am used to having dogs (our current Whippet has no interest in the goldfish), so I was surprised with how engaging the fish can be while living in their own realm. They frequently "chase" me back and forth when I'm on different ends of the tank, swim right up to my face, and they are quite used to my hand in the tank (they often give me "fish kisses" as I rearrange and clean). I love having them. 

You are not the only one to make mistakes early on. I am still learning as I go. There's definitely a learning curve but we do the best we can. I decided to dive right in with an attempt at a planted tank, and part of the result is the cups you asked about. I started with some Java Fern and Anubias, secured to driftwood or rocks. I'm hoping they will grow taller to hide the intake/outflow pipes more and give the fish more "cover" to swim between. The Java Fern has sprouted quite a bit so I've been replanting some of it in the glass cups. I thought it might give them something to explore other than the sand. Jelly Bean LOVES to swim in and out of the cups, picking at whatever is inside. Lydia, not so much. I've actually seen Jelly Bean swim away with half of a green pea and bury it behind a rock in one of the cups (I think to keep it safe from Lydia). It was gone 10 minutes later. 

IMG_20200920_134634.jpg

IMG_20200920_231028.jpg

Whatttttttttt that is awesome and I had no idea that this is how this was done. I also dove right into the planted tank even though my local fish store guy told me that it could not be done with goldfish. The plants are an important part of my filtration. I have mostly Amazon swords , and "German" swords. I also have a couple lotus bulbs / lotus plants with lily pads, I did get what was advertised as a java fern (non reputable store sold to me before I knew better about them) the jury was out on that until now! I think I have a java too and I think it's ready to be divided. I thought maybe it didn't like my substrate mix so it grew roots from its leaves as an adaptation or something. Will these actually cling to stone? What do you use to get that going nylon thread? I also have one anubias "cofeefolia" originally I had made a cave out of 3" PVC pipe and buried it in my tank then placed driftwood on top of it and was trying to grow the anubias over it too so it was like a cool burrow at the base of a tree overgrown with roots - awesome in theory but proved to be slightly problematic to clean and possibly dangerous for my brazen fish so I took it out and I stuffed the anubias down into a crack on the drift wood and it grabbed on like an orchid would grab a tree. Thats pretty funny about Jelly Bean hiding food from Lydia. My SeaKing has much better vision and a much larger mouth than Magikarp and Goldeen - leading to SeaKing hoarding food in his mouth but it falls out when he chews or he tries to go hide in a corner and drop it. Since I feed them soft food I started cutting a larger piece and feeding SeaKing first so that his mouth would be too full to suck up the other pieces before everyone else got a chance to eat. 

IMG_7389.thumb.jpeg.638a107875a4905afdd420c82082e003.jpeg

15 hours ago, J.Allen said:

Whatttttttttt that is awesome and I had no idea that this is how this was done. I also dove right into the planted tank even though my local fish store guy told me that it could not be done with goldfish. The plants are an important part of my filtration.

Same here - I was told goldfish would eat everything and it wasn't advised to have a planted tank, but I decided to give it a shot anyway for filtration reasons, and an added challenge. For about a month the plants were the only thing I had to look at anyway while the tank was cycling. They've nibbled on the moss balls a bit, but nothing drastic. But that may change as they get older? It's great that you've tried different things! Goldfish need enrichment too. :) I was also thinking the same though - to keep it simple so it's easy to maintain and keep clean. I've had some challenge with brown algae so far but it's getting better I think. That piece of driftwood you have looks great!

I am a plant novice, but from what I've read, Java Fern won't grow well in substrate - it needs something to "cling" to. I used sterilized surgical thread because I had it on hand, and it works well so far to adhere to rocks. Maybe someone else with more experience can offer more advice (I think there's a "planted tank" section in this forum too?). 

Update: Happy to report that the black mark on her tail is completely gone. 

Thanks for the input. It must have been some sort of injury and now she's healed. :)

That’s great news!

On 10/1/2020 at 6:43 AM, fish10 said:

Update: Happy to report that the black mark on her tail is completely gone. 

Thanks for the input. It must have been some sort of injury and now she's healed. :)

😊