Jump to content

Potential project


colley614

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

I bought a few tanks a few years ago. I got 2 tanks that are 5x2x2, 1 4x2x2 and 1 7x1x1. I also have 2 that are approximately 3x1x1 and 1 thats 4x1x1.

I'm thinking of building a fish house for orandas and ranchu. I was also thinking of building a goldfish pond for summer months. I was thinking of keeping one of the 3x1x1 as a qt tank but plumbing the rest of the tanks and the pond to a big central filtration system that I can shut down flow to the pond in the winter.

I'm interested in others opinions on the idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
8 hours ago, colley614 said:

I bought a few tanks a few years ago. I got 2 tanks that are 5x2x2, 1 4x2x2 and 1 7x1x1. I also have 2 that are approximately 3x1x1 and 1 thats 4x1x1.

I'm thinking of building a fish house for orandas and ranchu. I was also thinking of building a goldfish pond for summer months. I was thinking of keeping one of the 3x1x1 as a qt tank but plumbing the rest of the tanks and the pond to a big central filtration system that I can shut down flow to the pond in the winter.

I'm interested in others opinions on the idea.

@shakaho is really good with ponds...lets see if she see this. 😊👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper
5 hours ago, colley614 said:

Do you think it's worth connecting all the tanks and pond to one big filtration system or keep them separate?

I’d put a separate pond filter in each for disease control. Linking filtration has major issues if a pathogen does get in the system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’d put a separate pond filter in each for disease control. Linking filtration has major issues if a pathogen does get in the system.

Yeah, I was weighing up the pros and cons. I like the idea of having a big central filtration system with loads of k1 and a big uv steriliser and being able to set up a drip water change system. At the same time I don't fancy the idea of all my fish being able to get sick from the one water source. Especially when I'm considering ordering expensive quality fish from a fancy goldfish specialist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper

You could still do a drip system for fills, but you wouldn’t want recirculating among the tanks. Water going in, but draining out in an overflow and not through the filter. You can set your system with one component and not the other. And as someone who uses K1 I have been unimpressed, if it makes you feel any better. UV is okay but in an outdoor system it can be overkill, too, so that’s something to consider.

After futzing around with multiple canister and fluidized bed options I’m coming to the conclusion that a good old fashioned sponge in a giant breeder pool is still the superior low current, clean, easy to maintain option. Shocking, but true. But yeah, for continuous good water having a drip/overflow drain system is still a good choice, and maybe use that water in the garden instead of again in tanks. You COULD UV sterilize it and recirculate, but you’re losing mineral/redox potential of the fresh water in, old water out, approach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Thing is, I'm pretty much set, however way I go. I've got the tanks, I've got a linear piston air pump, hundreds of bioballs, 100 litres+ of k1. I also have an old ro system I can disassemble and convert to just carbon for the drip system. I have a few big pond pumps, a uv steriliser and power heads. I just need to decide which way to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I do like the idea of just running sponge filters. My only concern is whenever I see goldfish tanks on YouTube driven by sponge filters, they seem to be really cloudy and have a lot of particulates in the water column. Is this to be expected?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper

Depends on what they are driven by. A sponge with a power head doesn’t have this problem because of increased suction, especially if there is other current driving poo toward the filters. But air pump sponges do tend to have a lot of debris, which should be siphoned out. It’s pretty normal with the method but not impossible to overcome. In a show tank I’m a fan of high flow sponges on a strong power head, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper

Another option is something like a matten wall filter, which is essentially a giant sponge but with a slightly different setup. They function very similarly in the end and are still easy to maintain compared to a canister, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
On 9/19/2020 at 7:13 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Another option is something like a matten wall filter, which is essentially a giant sponge but with a slightly different setup. They function very similarly in the end and are still easy to maintain compared to a canister, though.

I'm starting to like the idea of using air driven filtration. I think They would be handy for my set up. Instead of building a proper pond I think I will use intex style pools to start with

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • Regular Member
6 minutes ago, koko said:

:theater:

Leaving us hanging lol 

Well, I've moved back into my house. I have the four tanks in the back garden ready to go. I have a linear air piston and 2 hidom small air pumps and a few other bits and pieces. It appears my ex wife took it upon herself to smash my pond up (new pond mkii thread). So I'm unsure where to start now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helper

Oh no! I’m sorry she damaged things. What did you want to prioritize in terms of how to manage these? If you have pumps and bits, but the sponges are new, next step is to get some tanks set up and begin cycling. Or is there a problem with how you’re wanting to lay out things among the four tanks?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
12 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oh no! I’m sorry she damaged things. What did you want to prioritize in terms of how to manage these? If you have pumps and bits, but the sponges are new, next step is to get some tanks set up and begin cycling. Or is there a problem with how you’re wanting to lay out things among the four tanks?

I'm not sure what to do next. I'm a little worried about having the tanks in my home because they've been stored outdoors for 5 years. I've seen some people say they'll be fine on Google searches and others say they need resealing. So I'm not sure if I should use them or buy a new 200 litre tank. If I did use them my first job would be to build a stand. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
19 minutes ago, colley614 said:

I'm not sure what to do next. I'm a little worried about having the tanks in my home because they've been stored outdoors for 5 years. I've seen some people say they'll be fine on Google searches and others say they need resealing. So I'm not sure if I should use them or buy a new 200 litre tank. If I did use them my first job would be to build a stand. 

You know the best thing to do...... Fill it up outside and see if they can hold water for 24 hours before you think about bringing them in :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
3 minutes ago, koko said:

You know the best thing to do...... Fill it up outside and see if they can hold water for 24 hours before you think about bringing them in :) 

I was scared you were going to say that 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
On 3/19/2021 at 4:02 PM, koko said:

You know the best thing to do...... Fill it up outside and see if they can hold water for 24 hours before you think about bringing them in

 

On 3/19/2021 at 4:05 PM, colley614 said:

I was scared you were going to say that

Or just bring them in, fill them up and put on a swimsuit!   :help1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
8 hours ago, colley614 said:

I can't, I haven't built a stand yet

Yeah, totally don't set them up without testing.  I was kidding and yes, test them out before bringing inside!  :P  lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
2 hours ago, Acro said:

Yeah, totally don't set them up without testing.  I was kidding and yes, test them out before bringing inside!  :P  lol

I know.

In all seriousness though. If I test fill what are the chances of a glass panel blowing? 

I'm pretty confident replacing the internal silicone. But the structural silicone that holds the pieces of glass together intimidates me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
15 hours ago, colley614 said:

I know.

In all seriousness though. If I test fill what are the chances of a glass panel blowing? 

I'm pretty confident replacing the internal silicone. But the structural silicone that holds the pieces of glass together intimidates me.

Well the chances are pretty good of not bowing if you dont fill them up lol 

You know I have never re-sealed a tank before 😮

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member
14 hours ago, koko said:

Well the chances are pretty good of not bowing if you dont fill them up lol 

You know I have never re-sealed a tank before 😮

I've removed the internal silicone and resealed after I found a drip coming through the silicone. But the idea of completely taking a tank down to panels and rebuilding it worries me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...