Karen El Mann

Transitioning from tank to pond

I have two comets that have been in a 55 gallon tank for six years. They are in my office and since COVID-19 I’ve been driving down there on weekends for maintenance. They do not seem happy and I worry about some thing going wrong. We’ve been told that we’re not going back to work until there’s a vaccine so I’ve decided to bring them home. A few years ago they had babies so I put together a 350 gallon “pond” in my backyard with tons of filtration and air. They seem really happy and actually had babies themselves. I’m very worried about moving the older fish in there. I’m worried about them getting stressed out. I’m worried about it being a completely different  environment and I’m also worried because one of them is pretty much blind. I am looking for tips on how to make the transition as healthy for them as possible. It is going to be much warmer outside than what they’re used to in the office.How much time should I take to ease them into it and how should I do it?

I've never seen a goldfish exhibit stress from moving from a cramped aquarium to a spacious pond.  The reverse move can be a problem. 

I also have moved fish from cool to very warm water or the reverse.  No problem.  Goldfish get sluggish in water warmer than 90F or colder than ~55F.   You can gently adapt them to the water change by doing a 50% change every few days, replacing the removed tank water with pond water.  They won't even know the difference.