Aquaclear replacement sponge question

A couple of my filter sponges for my Aquaclear filters need replacing pretty bad. They are disintegrating and tearing easily when I squeeze them out during water changes so I'm going to order some online. My question is that I see the Aquaclear replacement sponges online, but there are also generic sponges stating that they are, "Exact density and size of branded Aquaclear product" Would these generic sponges be as good as the Aquaclear brand, and are they even really supposed to be used safely in an aquarium? What do you guys think? Here is a link to the ones that I had in mind on Ebay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquaclear-70-Aquaclear-300-Replacement-Filter-Foam-Block-Generic/372704813699?hash=item56c6f02283:g:1oMAAOSway5dH3ea

• Helper

Generic should be fine, or you can just cut some matten foam material to the correct size? As long as something is in there holding colony I wouldn’t worry.

On 7/18/2020 at 9:51 AM, Fish Of Gold said:

A couple of my filter sponges for my Aquaclear filters need replacing pretty bad. They are disintegrating and tearing easily when I squeeze them out during water changes so I'm going to order some online. My question is that I see the Aquaclear replacement sponges online, but there are also generic sponges stating that they are, "Exact density and size of branded Aquaclear product" Would these generic sponges be as good as the Aquaclear brand, and are they even really supposed to be used safely in an aquarium? What do you guys think? Here is a link to the ones that I had in mind on Ebay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquaclear-70-Aquaclear-300-Replacement-Filter-Foam-Block-Generic/372704813699?hash=item56c6f02283:g:1oMAAOSway5dH3ea

I've noticed the quality of these Hagen foam blocks have gone way down; since I first bought my AquaClear 110 back in 2012/2013 or so, I had to replace the foam/sponge at least once (and again when we started our tank back up about a month ago) after the original became seriously deformed and misshapen. This is probably due to the company catching on to the fact that everyone just rinses these out and reuses them indefinitely; they need a way to make money...