vear

Bloody Streaks/Patches on Tail

No, you would have seen some difference in behavior, if nothing else, in the first week. Let’s take a break and we can resume treatment in a few months if things get worse, but she needs a break for the sake of her kidneys and liver.  Too many meds damage them.

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

No, you would have seen some difference in behavior, if nothing else, in the first week. Let’s take a break and we can resume treatment in a few months if things get worse, but she needs a break for the sake of her kidneys and liver.  Too many meds damage them.

Ok thank you so much!

Hi,

What type of breed would you say Coffee is? I have a goldfish that looks quite similar to yours. For the longest time, I've always assumed mine was a comet, but upon doing some extensive research, I believe it might be closer to a Veiltail. The reason I ask is because my goldfish has similar symptoms to yours, and I believe it might actually have something to do with the breed. My goldfish started developing visibly red veins around the age of 5. He is now 9 and sits at the bottom most of the time, except during feeding time. Mine doesn't really have patches like yours, but rather long visible red veins. However, the patch at the end of Coffee's tail in the first photo does look like some kind of burn? 

This is some information I found from a post on another goldfish forum (https://goldfishkeepers.com/community/threads/persistent-red-streaks.8158/): 

"The fish you have pictured are Veiltails or close to veiltails. In Veiltails older fish often get varicose veins, if it is bacterial, it is because the tissue is so thin in these big tailed fish you can try oxilinic acid. But in reality, old veils sit and some get puffy red veils, we have eliminated this by selecting for young fish that have shorter tails with a thick peduncle. If you have to breed this guy, breed it to the shortest tailed fish you have, even a chop tail to shorten the next generation.
In reality, veiltails at four to five tend to sit and look like this unless the peduncle and tail length has been selected for."

"I have hatched over 300,000 veiltails since 1985, and these veins have been a persistent issue until 2005 when we formed a breeding group to elimante them. US bred Philly descendants have lost this trait, but still get tired at 4 or 5 and tend to become tail sitters or standers"

Hi @goldfish2020, why don’t you start a new thread on the main goldfish discussion page and more people will see it to try and help you out.

Gary is not wrong, the longer tailed varieties are prone to some of these vein issues, as are paler goldfish in general. They can persist long after stress or develop with age, and not always go away. It takes time to tease out whether that is what is happening, and an otherwise healthy fish who bottom airs often has swim bladder issues going on that contribute to the buoyancy problems, even if they don’t have a veil tail. But long finnage can contribute too. However we definitely look at environmental stressors and pathogens first, especially when it is a new onset behavior or the fish isn’t eating, has lost color, etc.

Hi @Arctic Mama, sorry didn't mean to hi-jack this post if that's what it seemed like.

I just wanted to share that red streaks/veins are not uncommon on goldfish with long tails or pale fins. 

15 hours ago, goldfish2020 said:

Hi @Arctic Mama, sorry didn't mean to hi-jack this post if that's what it seemed like.

I just wanted to share that red streaks/veins are not uncommon on goldfish with long tails or pale fins. 

True some of them do. :thumbs: 

On 9/11/2020 at 3:13 AM, goldfish2020 said:

Hi,

What type of breed would you say Coffee is? I have a goldfish that looks quite similar to yours. For the longest time, I've always assumed mine was a comet, but upon doing some extensive research, I believe it might be closer to a Veiltail. The reason I ask is because my goldfish has similar symptoms to yours, and I believe it might actually have something to do with the breed. My goldfish started developing visibly red veins around the age of 5. He is now 9 and sits at the bottom most of the time, except during feeding time. Mine doesn't really have patches like yours, but rather long visible red veins. However, the patch at the end of Coffee's tail in the first photo does look like some kind of burn? 

This is some information I found from a post on another goldfish forum (https://goldfishkeepers.com/community/threads/persistent-red-streaks.8158/): 

"The fish you have pictured are Veiltails or close to veiltails. In Veiltails older fish often get varicose veins, if it is bacterial, it is because the tissue is so thin in these big tailed fish you can try oxilinic acid. But in reality, old veils sit and some get puffy red veils, we have eliminated this by selecting for young fish that have shorter tails with a thick peduncle. If you have to breed this guy, breed it to the shortest tailed fish you have, even a chop tail to shorten the next generation.
In reality, veiltails at four to five tend to sit and look like this unless the peduncle and tail length has been selected for."

"I have hatched over 300,000 veiltails since 1985, and these veins have been a persistent issue until 2005 when we formed a breeding group to elimante them. US bred Philly descendants have lost this trait, but still get tired at 4 or 5 and tend to become tail sitters or standers"

Hey thanks for that information. Yes I do agree Veiltails can get the constant redness in there tail fins. :) 

Hi!! Thank you all for that info. Coffee is back in the 40gallon tank, she is excited for food everyday but still bottom sits a good amount of time. She still has patches on her tail but she does swim around at times, mostly in the evening. This is so confusing. I'm just giving her a break for now and making sure her water is clean.

Thought I'd give an update.... she's been swimming around, acting completely normal which makes me super happy. Her tail still has red patches which is completely confusing to me but it's not getting worse so that's good.

12 hours ago, vear said:

Thought I'd give an update.... she's been swimming around, acting completely normal which makes me super happy. Her tail still has red patches which is completely confusing to me but it's not getting worse so that's good.

well I think at this point if it's not getting worse and she's happy. Give her a break. Sometimes more meds make more problems. 😔