arizona480

Under-gravel Filter Plates for New Aquarium?

Hey everyone, thanks for having this forum.  I'm replacing a 29 gallon Marineland Eclipse 3 with a 65 Gallon Agueon-Something and have 2 Marineland Emperor Bio Filters in the mail for the new home of 2 Goldfish and a Pleco.  

My question is, I have the underground filter plates in my current setup, I don't really have the plastic air tubes anymore because I got annoyed with servicing them and the Pleco wants to be right over the airstone anyway (Pleco Jacuzzi!)  I just use the airstones hanging down in the aquarium naked.  One thing I liked about the plates is that I can use less gravel but still show an inch layer of gavel in the aquarium.  The other is the benefit (or perceived benefit) of the opportunity for a bacterial colony to grow.  I don't think I've pulled them up to clean in years.  

Are these worth using again in the new setup or should I just do straight gravel?

On 6/19/2020 at 9:51 AM, arizona480 said:

Hey everyone, thanks for having this forum.  I'm replacing a 29 gallon Marineland Eclipse 3 with a 65 Gallon Agueon-Something and have 2 Marineland Emperor Bio Filters in the mail for the new home of 2 Goldfish and a Pleco.  

My question is, I have the underground filter plates in my current setup, I don't really have the plastic air tubes anymore because I got annoyed with servicing them and the Pleco wants to be right over the airstone anyway (Pleco Jacuzzi!)  I just use the airstones hanging down in the aquarium naked.  One thing I liked about the plates is that I can use less gravel but still show an inch layer of gavel in the aquarium.  The other is the benefit (or perceived benefit) of the opportunity for a bacterial colony to grow.  I don't think I've pulled them up to clean in years.  

Are these worth using again in the new setup or should I just do straight gravel?

With goldfish you wouldn't want them in there. It would harbor to much gunk under them. In the long run you might get stagnant water too. 

If they where running you could have a great tropical tank :) 

:hi

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.