Metallic green shubunkin goldfish?

cpch

Hi Goldfish experts,

I have some shubunkin goldfish (and a few koi) in my garden pond. They had babies a few weeks ago, and now that they're a bit grown (about 1 inch) and I can see them better, I'm perplexed. A few of them definitely look like shubunkins - they have orange, white and black spots. But the rest of them are a metallic green (they shimmer with the sun).

Have you ever seen metallic green goldfish? I don't see how they could be any other kind given they were all born at the same time...

Thank you.

Below is a pic of the metallic green fish (goldfish)? You can see a couple of their more normal-looking shubunkin siblings at the top of the photo.

20200617_173958.jpg

• Helper

Not all fry change color at the same rate.  Of my eight oranda babies from last March, one changed color at three months, some by six, another two this February, and the last remaining olive/drab fry colored one is only JUST losing his melanin and showing his gold right now, at 15 months old and four inches long (nose to tail). It is highly variable.

Could they have reverted to wild coloration for life? It’s possible. But they’re very young and goldfish do not have super stable coloration, it can change throughout their lives.  I’d assume it’s just transient fry coloration until they’re several years old :)

• Admin
On 6/19/2020 at 8:57 AM, cpch said:

Thank you for the responses! For a moment I thought I may be the proud owner of some super exotic goldfish. :)

Now that would have been cool :)