When Do I Take Out The Eggs?

mkinga

The temperature in the tank is about 76F. Its been 4 days since the eggs were layed, and I see little goldfish swimming inside my hatching tank (also a couple dead ones :( ). I tried to pick out the fungusy eggs, but there are lots and lots stuck all over multiple plants, so its really impossible unless I do it for a looong time. I was wondering when should it be safe to take out the plants (so I can wash off all the bad eggs). I don't want to leave it in there too long, or the fungus will kill them right?

Also what is a good technique to take out the plants, since the plants are huge and the goldfish fry are tiny, is it just shake and pull out?

it really depends if you want to keep the plant

if you dont you probably can cut off the parts

where the eggs are scattered

if it is scattered everywhere then you should pull the plant out

people say that the funus is really infectious but im not too sure if its true

ive had some fungus which wasnt remove but most of the eggs still

managed to hatch

so im not convinced :unsure:

Thanks for the reply, what I was hoping to get answered was when is it safe to say that there will be no more eggs hatching? The eggs are all over the plant, so I want to wait until all the eggs that will hatch have hatched, then pull out the plant and give it a good wash.

i didnt go to that extent because many

believe that fungus is very contagious and

it will spread and kill most of your fry

anyways what you have done is fine :)

but i usually dont get many unfertilised eggs

10 would be a max. because i got so many males and females

everything gets fertilised :lol:

also it prevents my females from getting ripped fins ect.

funny that the bigger fish chase the bigger gals

and the smaller fish chase the smaller female fishies ;)

I have many many unfertilized eggs.. out of like 200+ eggs, I can only see 10 that hatched.. maybe I'll take out the rest of eggs tomorrow..

Guest Orandaman

The fertilized eggs should hatch after 96 hours at temperatures above 68F. In cooler temperature a little longer. It is unlikely for eggs to hatch after 4 or 5 days.

Probably a good idea by now to carefully take out the plant and rinse it clean.

If you don't have a lot of unfertilized eggs you don't need to worry about fungus.

It is difficult to deal with an infestation of fungus when newly hatched fry are hiding among the nesting plants. Keeping the water quality stable and clean is very important.

I know in your case it's too late now but there is one method one can do to control the fungus problem. As soon as the eggs are fertilized, dip the plant or spawning mop in a 1:500,000 solution of malachite green for 15 minutes.

One important thing to note is that the first 8 weeks of develop is the most important for the fry. :D

Archived