KJSegall

Using Furan 2 medicated food while dosing Maracyn?

2 day shipping my a**... anyways it's finally here! Gave them their first feeding. The 10 second thing is going to be tricky. I've never fed them flakes before so they're not used to feeding at the surface, they only go after them when they float down. I hope if I just keep it up for a few days they'll get the idea and then I can properly start dosing. They're both still somewhat lethargic and Bold's tail definitely has even longer red veins. (Tank is still crashed but getting daily doses of Prime).

Just feed it to them a few flakes at a time.  Little tiny mouthfuls, so none gets wasted. A couples times in a row should get decent quantities in them as they learn.

Well... 2 weeks later, the fish are acting healthy but Bold still has those streaks in her tail. (updated pictures from today below, you can probably only see the streaks in the close up). Their activity is great, no lethargy. Fed them exclusively the medicated food. Gave them tiny amounts here and there throughout the day... I'd say they got about 50% or so before the 10 second mark. Neither of them see very well (especially one-eyed Chubman), and neither are used to feeding from the surface, so I just stuck my hand in front of them and let tiny pinches float where they were, lol. Best I could come up with.

I'll be switching to the recover formula now.

Tank is cycled again, thank G-d. I should buy stock in Seachem for all the Prime I used. 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrate, 20ppm Nitrite. We're back to weekly 30% changes.

I'm utterly baffled by these red streaks. I know they're a sign of something wrong, but it's been quite some time now and Bold... well, seems fine. Then again, so did Sushi before he up and died one afternoon. So, uh, what's the next recommendation?

20200724_103802.jpg

20200724_103854.jpg

The streaking can persist for a LONG TIME. Once tails of white fish get inflamed they often look somewhat red for months or years afterward, that’s not unusual. As long as it isn’t flaring worse or other symptoms are happening I’d consider it a feature that’s just a thing now, and not worry about it. But yeah, once the tail lights up it’s not quick to go away, and on white fins it’s particularly noticeable.

I was wondering if that might be the case.

Well, then we'll call it all good! I'll obviously keep a close eye on them.

I canNOT thank you enough for your help and patience in this! Chubman and Bold are in your debt (as am I)!

No problem! I’m so glad I could help, and if something new pops up give me a poke :)

I most certainly will! Since the fishies seem healthy and the tank is back to cycled, I think its time to find them a new friend. We'll take our time. Got the quarantine tank set up already. :-)