I Syphoned My Telescope Today

Okay, I have a feeling this is gonna be long, just a warning.

Today when I was doing a water change in my 75 gallon tank, I turned for one minute to feed my hospital tank. When I turned around, one of my telescopes was in the siphon on the python. I shook the tube a little to free him and when he dropped in the water, I almost died. (This is not for the week stomached...) One of his eyes was pushed inward on the one side. On the other side of the same eye, it had detached a little. There was blood coming out of the side of the eye that was detached, along with a little tissue. His mouth and nose area was red and looked irritated. It was awful, absolutely awful. I freaked out, crying, screaming, scared my dog, called my mom...Koko's was down...just awful. My mom helped calm me down (thanks mom) and about an hour or so has passed since this happened. The telescope actually seems okay, even though half of his eye is pushed in, and the other half is coming off. I fed the fish and he actually found food just as quickly as before. I just felt bad when the faster fish bumped him, but he doesn't seem to notice. We (my mom and I) looked up some info on the web and on Koko's about what to do to try to medicate the poor fish. We've come up with salt, melafix and an antibiotic. I'd like to put the telescope in my hospital tank to treat, but I'm already treating another telescope in there for ich...so...here's the 3 things I'm thinking about doing.

1.) treat the whole 75 gallon tank with melafix and salt and antibiotic (even though I'll have to hit the lottery to pay for all those meds for a 75 gallon) plus, I'm worried about my larger fish picking on or bumping into the little injured fish.

2.) putting the injured telescope in with the ich infested telescope in the hospital tank and treating with melafix, salt, ich meds, and feeding antibiotic food. I'm just not sure if I can mix all those meds. Plus that tank hasn't completely cycled and I'm fighting the nitrites and ammonia on a daily basis. I've been doing 50% water changes to keep them at the lowest levels (nitrites >1 and ammonia .5 is really the highest they've gone) but I'm worried that with 2 fish, the battle will be harder. I know the salt in there will help protect them from the problems with the water though.

3.) I go out and buy a 30 gallon for a 2nd hospital tank. I medicate the injured telescope in there. Once both telescopes are better (I'm such the optimist) I put all 3 of my telescopes in the new tank together. That way they won't have to compete for food and stuff. The problem with this option is that again, the 2nd hospital tank won't be cycled and I'll be fighting that problem.

Okay guys, gimme a hug and some advice. I'm loosing it here! :hug

:o Oh how horrible! Here you go :hug and :hug and :hug

How about treating with melafix in a large rubbermaid container with an airstone? Then you won't be mixing all those meds and I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper. I don't think you should put him in the tank with all the sick fish because when fish are injured they're more likely to catch sicknesses. I don't think it's really necessary to buy a 30 gallon just for the telescopes. Once the telescopes are better they should be fine with everyone else in the 75 gallon. Good luck!

I had a similar accident with one of my bettas just two weeks ago. I pulled a large section of flesh off of his back. I freaked out like you did. It is a horrible experience.

Anyway, what I would do is just keep the fish in the 75 gallon and, if you want, add the melafix. The main thing is to keep the water optimum. That will allow the wound to heal.

I actually did nothing to the tank that the betta was in. I just made sure that the water quality was top notch. The wound has healed completely and the scales are now starting to grow back.

So, as long as the other fish are not picking on the wounded one, I would leave him/her where she is. Melafix can't hurt, so you could add that.

I would hold off on salt or antibiotics. Antibiotics will most likely crash your cycle and that will do more harm than good.

If you want to ask more questions, please feel free. Hopefully your fish will heal as well as my betta.

Oh hun, that's really rough. Here's lots of :hug 's from me too. :)

I agree with the other posters - I would not put in antibiotics because they aren't really necessary and will crash your cycle (plus you shouldn't mix too many meds at once). Just .1% salt and a little Melafix will be more than enough to protect and heal your telescope. :) Good luck to you both. :hug

:o You poor thing! How horrible you must have felt...Thank god your mom was there to calm you down ;) I would have lost it myself. It sounds like everyone has covered what to do,so I'll just say how bad i feel for you and that I hope a miraculous recovery for your goldie is fast in coming!!! Good luck

Guest monty

That is sad!! I'm sure it hurt you as much as it did the fish!!! I mean I know how I would have felt! Most of your replies were from females (apparently) but I just wanted to express my condolences as well. I cn't help with advice, being a newbie to the goldfish world myslef, but I can say I am sorry and I hope you little one gets better soon!

Okie, first I will :hug give u a hug to console u...

Now now.. :wa hope u learn that syphon is a process that cannot be left ignored....... :)

well, I do understand how frightful it is to see what you dun expect to see.. just like last time, when my mum witness the neighbor swimming the the tank and made away with a fish in his mouth as my mum approach with a slipper...

gosh, I am glad I did not witness such scene and I bet I will need a hug too.. :P

dun worry too much about your fish... jus make sure that it is not suffering from any infection.. also make sure that other fishes are not picking on it since it is so much weaker to protect itself.. at any possible sign of the ssituations mentioned, isolate your fish.. u may or may not need another hospital tank for such purpose and a rubbermaid should serve you well.. but do have spare air stone and air pump to support this purpose..

meanwhile, add some salt to relief some stress and prevent any further infection.. and do keep an eye on the water condition lest lousy water may introduce infection..

feeding some food that has vitamin C might help the fish to recover faster.. one of such food is the Hikari Wheat Germ.. not a bad choice as it promote growth too.. (nah, I am not a sales man)

dun blame urself.. guess what happened to one of my goldfish a few weeks back?? similarly, I was syphoning the tank and that fish swam by and I wanted to move the syphon stick away from him.. who knows it got a shock that shocked me as well. and we had an accident.. he crushed into my pyphon stick and the stick gave the poor fish a big long scratch (1.5 inch long wound).. GOSH, that hurts and so is my heart.. well, similarly, he still swim and eats happily.. I jus ensure the above description and he has recovered (and a scar is left behind )

good luck.

Thanks so much for the support! You guys and gals rock! And yes, I learned a big lesson today...that goes with out saying.

I just got home from work and my poor little fishy looks, in my opinion, better. Before the eye was half pushed into his head and the other side (of the same eye) was torn away from his body. Where the eye was pushed in, it has popped back out. It is sorta filled with blood now, but not nearly as gruesome looking as before. Where the eye had started to detach doesn't look as bloody, but there is a peice of stringy tissue hanging out now. He's eating and swimming pretty much the same, though I think this has slowed him down a little. I think I'll have to seperate him eventally, gotta buy and cycle a new tank first...but I just feel that he'll have a harder time competing for food (I have 2 shubunkins and a common in there...plus a 7 inch ryukin, now that's some competion!) I'm sure he's lost sight in that eye...he'll be happier in his own tank with the other telescopes. Plus, the boyfriend will understand now, right? But we gotta get him healthy first and foremost. I started a melafix dose. I haven't used salt yet because I have 1 lone cory left in the tank...I'm going to give the cory to my mom tomorrow and add salt.

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Thanks for asking Peaches, but he didn't make it. My boyfriend said that he was fine when he left for work, but when I woke up he was gone. I feel so terrible. I haven't had a death in a long time, and this was my fault, so it feels pretty rotten. I really thought he was gonna make it. When I got home from work at 3am, he ate and swam around just fine. I just hope he didn't suffer too bad.

:cry1

Guest ed586

Awwww... that's terrible Heather. Those telescopes sure can be delicate, though. Could happen to any of us. I'm extra careful with the hose now after hearing stories like that.

Heather,

I am so sorry that your little guy didn't make it. I was so hoping that his injuries were superficial. Try not to be too hard on yourself. It is an easy thing to do. It just takes a second.

:cry1

Ahh... So sorry Heather. :cry1 I know EXACTLY how you're feeling. I had an accident with my syphon (Python). My sweet gold dojo, Lurch did the same thing. Took my eyes off of it for a second, and Lurch got curious about the tube for the first time and got sucked up. He went all the way up the hose, almost all the way to the faucet. It broke his back and I put him to sleep..... Took SO long for me to get over it, but I did...... eventually. You will too. I'm so sorry. :(

Erika

:cry1 im so sorry i did the same thing and my fish got huge DEEP cuts around his head and sufferd realy bad amonia burns from the cuts and the slime coat being sucked off but he made it and he still has the indents of his sphyfoning.

I am so sorry about your fish! We all know that this did not happen intentionaly, so don't be so hard on yourself. Best wishes! B)

Guest ed586

:rofl

HaHaHaHa.....

I just got your username..... :lol1 Pig latin for Heather

Iay useday otay eakspay itay allay ethey imetay enwhay Iay asway aay idkay... ;)

Guest ed586

I'm not making fun. I think its funny because I always used to speak it when I was young. I think it's cool. :lol:

Oh, Im so sorry to hear this. I was really hoping for a happy ending. Unfortunately Ive heard a lot of stories like this. A friend of ours Tony, who used to come here regularly, had a horrible incident like yours with his black moor, Payton. He accidentally sucked out both eyes of his fish, so you can imagine what an awful sight that must have been. Payton recovered completely from that though and was just blind so Tony had to hand-feed him.

Anyway I hope it comforts you a bit to know that this may not have been why he died. Fish can be really tough and really resilient and come through really awful situations. I just think maybe he was weakened already and thats what caused it. Again, Im really sorry though. It was an accident so dont blame yourself. :)

Archived