xenon

need help & opinions w stand (ETC)

i've just finished building this stand with my dad for my 90 gallon aquarium in which i bought used. i got both of them for very cheap which is good! i bought a polar aurora 525 gph filter to run my tank, everything is coming along perfectly but i simply have anxiety as to if the stand will hold. we used general purpose screws and it looks very sturdy by itself, but the aquarium is like 1000 pounds... yikes. if i could get any reassurance or if anyone can give me an estimate as to how much weight this can hold i would greatly appreciate it. i know this sounds very stupid but....... i have no words honestly. will the polar aurora suffice for my tank? i'm planning to keep 8 adult ranchus in this tank, so. i'm also planning to go bare bottom. the tank i got is from aquarium masters, will the aqueon versa fit it? planning to do a bit of small scale breeding, where can i find the highest quality ranchu? i'm looking for thai lionchu / buffalo head, eastcoastranchu doesn't have any in stock, king koi and goldfish's stock have weird backs etc. i really love lemonheads and ranchus with compact bodies.image.thumb.png.9acfcee82e62844a04e5db4901d8003c.png

also this is very random but if i apply a background on the back will it automatically make the ground that background color or do i also have to put background on the bottom, too?

4 hours ago, xenon said:

also this is very random but if i apply a background on the back will it automatically make the ground that background color or do i also have to put background on the bottom, too?

Some ppl will paint the underside, but you don't need to. If your going to put gravel or sand in there.

Mine isn't painted, just the clear glass. I'm not really bothered by it.

4 hours ago, xenon said:

i've just finished building this stand with my dad for my 90 gallon aquarium in which i bought used. i got both of them for very cheap which is good! i bought a polar aurora 525 gph filter to run my tank, everything is coming along perfectly but i simply have anxiety as to if the stand will hold. we used general purpose screws and it looks very sturdy by itself, but the aquarium is like 1000 pounds... yikes. if i could get any reassurance or if anyone can give me an estimate as to how much weight this can hold i would greatly appreciate it. i know this sounds very stupid but....... i have no words honestly. will the polar aurora suffice for my tank? i'm planning to keep 8 adult ranchus in this tank, so. i'm also planning to go bare bottom. the tank i got is from aquarium masters, will the aqueon versa fit it? planning to do a bit of small scale breeding, where can i find the highest quality ranchu? i'm looking for thai lionchu / buffalo head, eastcoastranchu doesn't have any in stock, king koi and goldfish's stock have weird backs etc. i really love lemonheads and ranchus with compact bodies.image.thumb.png.9acfcee82e62844a04e5db4901d8003c.png

@Arctic Mama I think has built one. She might know. 👍

19 hours ago, koko said:

@Arctic Mama I think has built one. She might know. 👍

tysm!

That looks lke very sturdy stand. To figure out how much weight it can support you can add up the combined strength of the vertical supporting pieces.    A very conservative guestimation is that each supporting 2x4 can hold 1000 lbs.    In reality and depending on the type on wood used that number can be much higher.

Youre really looking at a stand that can hold 6000 lbs on the minimum.  But it also depends on how well it went together.   Hopefully those vertical supports are really flush and remain in contact with the top and bottom horizontal wood pieces.  That way theyre able to transfer all weight the nice and evenly.  Ive made a few crummy stands that had tiny gaps under the  support pieces.   That means the weight of the tank is only being held by the screws!   For me it wasmt a problem though because those were just 20 gallon tanks.  For bigger tanks, that part has to be done correctly.

Its never a bad idea to give it a test run before putting your fish in there and let it sit for a good 48 hours.  Its looks like you both did very well though from the pics.  Nice work. 👍🏻

Goodluck with your goldfish.

5 hours ago, Goldfishbeginner said:

That looks lke very sturdy stand. To figure out how much weight it can support you can add up the combined strength of the vertical supporting pieces.    A very conservative guestimation is that each supporting 2x4 can hold 1000 lbs.    In reality and depending on the type on wood used that number can be much higher.

Youre really looking at a stand that can hold 6000 lbs on the minimum.  But it also depends on how well it went together.   Hopefully those vertical supports are really flush and remain in contact with the top and bottom horizontal wood pieces.  That way theyre able to transfer all weight the nice and evenly.  Ive made a few crummy stands that had tiny gaps under the  support pieces.   That means the weight of the tank is only being held by the screws!   For me it wasmt a problem though because those were just 20 gallon tanks.  For bigger tanks, that part has to be done correctly.

Its never a bad idea to give it a test run before putting your fish in there and let it sit for a good 48 hours.  Its looks like you both did very well though from the pics.  Nice work. 👍🏻

Goodluck with your goldfish.

wow, thank you! i was very anxious about the stand collapsing but this reassured me. we filled the tank and it didn't explode (yay) but haven't tried it on the stand. for the vertical supports, i'd say they're sturdy as we had to hammer them in to make them fit. even without nails it would take a bit of effort to take them out, as they are a basically perfect fit.

On 5/29/2020 at 3:09 PM, xenon said:

for the vertical supports, i'd say they're sturdy as we had to hammer them in to make them fit. even without nails it would take a bit of effort to take them out, as they are a basically perfect fit.

Yes,  this is exactly the right way to go about it.  i did the same thing for the last stand i did for my 125 gallon.   I used the miter saw to shave off little bit at a time for the vertical supporting pieces so they could be hammered in with a tight fit.  Its tough to get that fit by measuring, you gotta do it by feel.    Its a good way to do that for sure.  The other little intricacy to doing this is to make sure that tank sits nice and flush on the finished stand.  If its not perfect some people will lay a piece of foam board on there to even up the difference.    That particle board may work nicely though as long as it nice and flat.

Very nice and congrats on the 90 gallon stand.  Now you just need to get a few awesome goldfish! 

Take care. :clapping:

4 hours ago, Goldfishbeginner said:

Yes,  this is exactly the right way to go about it.  i did the same thing for the last stand i did for my 125 gallon.   I used the miter saw to shave off little bit at a time for the vertical supporting pieces so they could be hammered in with a tight fit.  Its tough to get that fit by measuring, you gotta do it by feel.    Its a good way to do that for sure.  The other little intricacy to doing this is to make sure that tank sits nice and flush on the finished stand.  If its not perfect some people will lay a piece of foam board on there to even up the difference.    That particle board may work nicely though as long as it nice and flat.

Very nice and congrats on the 90 gallon stand.  Now you just need to get a few awesome goldfish! 

Take care. :clapping:

wowo i love this community, you guys are the best. thank you so much man i really do appreciate it!