Hey guys!

I'm new here and hope this is a much better forum than others i have been on with my pets! Not here to be raided, toasted or laughed at.. Im new to true fish ownership with functional tank but I have been a amphibian and reptile keeper/animal freak my whole life and consider myself very educated. I spend most of my days reading.. but. I can't seem to satisfy the itch with this problem PH of mine

So i acquired the cutest little Black Moor fish in the whole wild world (yes i know, a little bias here LOL). His name is Raymond and hes all of like maybe a inch and half long right now including fins. Hes the best thing that has happened to me this year ❤ 

Ive done tons and tons of research before i got him and still am two months later. But this puzzles the crap out of me... I can NOT bring me PH within parameters 🤬 My tank parameters are impeccable but my PH! I dont think its good for Ray and driving me crazy!! I seem to have mastered everything else but that... 

*20 gallons tank, fake plants and deco

*My tank is fully cycled

*Ive got carbon filter as well as the sponge and rock/corral like filter in between

*Every week it gets tested, vaccum and anywhere between 10 to 30 percent water changed and i put the little bacteria balls in it and treatment as necessary

* Theres a light oxygen bubble blower in there too, which i adjust as needed (I cause the tank a bacterial bloom a couple weeks ago OOPS so i turned it up a bit)

* Theres a light with some UVB bulbs as well from my reptile collection. Nothing crazy bright so it doesnt hurt his eyes

* I used our drinking water out of our 20L gallon jug. See attached picture to show the PH of our drinking water

* Rays food consist of the repashy goldfish food that I make myself, peas and a couple brand of tiny pellets for protein. Im a little maniac when it comes down to food. Im a food crazy myself and my kids get nothing but the best. No crappy filler and things they wouldn't find swimming around in nature

Any one has experienced this?!?! Ray is thriving, hes happy like a pig in 💩 and I am not concerned at this point for his well being (besides that time i thought a pea had gotten stuck in his mouth 😳😳) as is seem to be such a happy, obliviant little dude! He cracks me up ❤

BUT.. what about that freaking PH?!?!?! Why of all things am i having a alkaline problem?!?! So frustrating......

The picture with the 2 tubes are our drinking water

The picture with the 4 tubes are my tank water on my weekly check

And a picture of Rays little homes right now. Before my water change/cleaning

PSX_20200519_114651.jpg

PSX_20200519_114651.jpg

PSX_20200519_114711.jpg

PSX_20200519_114608.jpg

Dang! That is some wacky ph.

Let's to a test....

Get a jug of water that you use for water changes. Test the water in the jug. Then let it set for 24 hours and test it. If you have a bubbler you can put in it, that would help, but it's not necessary.

Report back. Let us know. I'm interested to see if the water goes up or something in the tank is doing it.

Watching this with interest.  It could be that you just have a fairly unstable pH or acidic water source, it does happen, depending on the municipality.  If you can buffet it enough to stabilize it, even if it is lower pH than you want, likely your fish will be okay :)

Hey !

Sorry it took so long to reply!

As per my first post, i already tested the water i use to refill my tank. It is purchased bottle of water and since we drink it ourselves, its all at time standing. One jug can last us a week so its always just sitting there waiting to be used. The parameter are showed in the picture with the 2 tubes test. Awesome water! 

Tho, in my tank, the PH constantly go up. Starts at around 7 ish as showed in the picture and once in my tank with my little man, it goes up at around 8.2 ish and seem to stay that high. Ray seems just fine with it. Its never bothered him at all

But, i dont understand why? I dont have live plants, i got the 30 Aquaclear filter and a bubbler and one goldfish and mistakenly got one Otto back then as well and shes alive and thriving. Lol

Am i keeping it over clean or over filtered? I know ive played with the oxygen as i have read articles and studies suggesting that to much or to little air affects PH big time but that didnt change much...

I mean Ray is super Happy but ud love to know why!

There is people that would pay to get that kind of PH to drink themselves hahahaah!

59 minutes ago, FlowerzTrolls said:

Hey !

Sorry it took so long to reply!

As per my first post, i already tested the water i use to refill my tank. It is purchased bottle of water and since we drink it ourselves, its all at time standing. One jug can last us a week so its always just sitting there waiting to be used. The parameter are showed in the picture with the 2 tubes test. Awesome water! 

Tho, in my tank, the PH constantly go up. Starts at around 7 ish as showed in the picture and once in my tank with my little man, it goes up at around 8.2 ish and seem to stay that high. Ray seems just fine with it. Its never bothered him at all

But, i dont understand why? I dont have live plants, i got the 30 Aquaclear filter and a bubbler and one goldfish and mistakenly got one Otto back then as well and shes alive and thriving. Lol

Am i keeping it over clean or over filtered? I know ive played with the oxygen as i have read articles and studies suggesting that to much or to little air affects PH big time but that didnt change much...

I mean Ray is super Happy but ud love to know why!

There is people that would pay to get that kind of PH to drink themselves hahahaah!

Your pH is fine.  Goldfish do well at pHs between 7.0 and 9.0.  A stable 8.2 is perfect. 

If the pH drops much below 7.0 you run the risk of a pH crash, and that will harm your fish.

Wait wait, I think I misunderstood before.  So you’re saying it is going from neutral to much more alkaline during the week?  If that’s the case we do NOT want to buffer it with anything that will raise pH.  Or am I misunderstanding?

8 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Wait wait, I think I misunderstood before.  So you’re saying it is going from neutral to much more alkaline during the week?  If that’s the case we do NOT want to buffer it with anything that will raise pH.  Or am I misunderstanding?

Hey! Yes, my water starts neutral and end up alkaline. No i did not and wasnt about to buffer, lol no worries!

I know my fish is ok but i just want to understand why it does that??

Isnt it supose to be going the other way? Like more acidic with deco and poo? 

It puzzles the crap out of me... Ray is thriving as this is a constant *thing* but i still would like to nail down why its doing that

Can you figure out the hardness for it?  Some water has a very unstable pH due to dissolved gasses or being very soft, even if it still is somewhat neutral.

Okay I really didn't realize that was a water that always is out. We do the same thing here. Your ph is fine.

If you really want to see what's going on is what AM said. I would get a test kit for gh and kh. This will tell you if you have hard watwr. I'm thinking you do and with it mixing in the tank it slowly goes up.

I have the opposite problem. My water will slowly go down.