Mikey

I’m not quite sure what this is

On 6/15/2020 at 7:35 PM, Arctic Mama said:

I find it’s easier to just dilute it into a gallon of water and split that up into quarters or tenths, than try to measure such a small amount.

Hi! It has been so hectic. I’ve been working 50ish hours a week 6 days a week haha. I went ahead and ordered the dimillin that I linked. It sadly won’t be here until the 14th at the earliest. Im just going to keep up with water changes while I wait. How should I go about diluting it and what should I use to dilute it? Chemistry and I were not good friends so dilution calculations aren’t my strong suit hahahaha

So if the dimilin is for, say, 100 gallons, I’d dilute it into a five gallon bucket and then scoop out water for 20 gallons at a time (which would be one gallon of treated water, 1/5 the whole bucket amount right?). 

You can dilute it into 1 cup of water the same way. 100 gallons of dimilin in concentration (with my dimilin that’s like 1/4 teaspoon), and scoop out 1/4 cup of the mixture per 25 gallons of tank water to treat.  It’s super easy.

On 7/2/2020 at 5:59 PM, Arctic Mama said:

So if the dimilin is for, say, 100 gallons, I’d dilute it into a five gallon bucket and then scoop out water for 20 gallons at a time (which would be one gallon of treated water, 1/5 the whole bucket amount right?). 

You can dilute it into 1 cup of water the same way. 100 gallons of dimilin in concentration (with my dimilin that’s like 1/4 teaspoon), and scoop out 1/4 cup of the mixture per 25 gallons of tank water to treat.  It’s super easy.

I’m kinda lost 😅😅 

so I put 1/4 TSP into 8 ounces of water and then use 2 ounces of that solution per 25 gallons of water? 

What strength is your dimilin? Is it 1/4 tsp per hundred gallons? The dosage matters to the math and yours might not be the same as mine, but yes, the general idea is that you measure it into a water volume you can then use a portion of, if the amount for your whole tank is too small to get an accurate measurement.  And dimilin is very forgiving too, as a med. not easy to overdose.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:34 PM, Arctic Mama said:

What strength is your dimilin? Is it 1/4 tsp per hundred gallons? The dosage matters to the math and yours might not be the same as mine, but yes, the general idea is that you measure it into a water volume you can then use a portion of, if the amount for your whole tank is too small to get an accurate measurement.  And dimilin is very forgiving too, as a med. not easy to overdose.

Okay, awesome! I looked at my bottle on the pictures from amazon and it’s 500 gallons per 1TSP. I figured I would just use 1/8 a TSP and not need to dilute it since that would treat 62.5 gallons. That should be good. The bottle says it can be doses 10x the recommended dose and still be safe :) thank you so much for all of the information!! When I get home and start treatment, how long should I do it for?  And out of curiosity does this treat ich? My fish don’t have it, just curious hahaha

I’d probably run it for a week or so; make sure you vacuum well in the middle and dose again to catch any new hatchlings too, if this is indeed what you are dealing with.  And like prazi, I like to give a week or two off and run one more time.

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’d probably run it for a week or so; make sure you vacuum well in the middle and dose again to catch any new hatchlings too, if this is indeed what you are dealing with.  And like prazi, I like to give a week or two off and run one more time.

Awesome! Thank you :)  is it a daily dose or do I dose it once and let it run for a week?

Just redose when you water change, you don’t need to add it more frequently than that if I recall.