Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Sick Telescope?

Recommended Posts

Probably move the heater to the hospital tank if you have to, unless your house runs really

warm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50% wc, readded salt, dosed Paraguard 5ml/10g

 

My orange telescope is now slightly pine coned too, so probably I should treat the whole tank with kanamycin right? I bought two tubes, so hopefully it’ll be enough for the treatment. Didn’t have time to check levels tonight as we have been unpacking but will check again in the morning and hopefully the ammonia will be low enough to wait a day before doing a WC and redosing, cause daily waterchanges will run through my meds so fast... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah the newbie brought stuff into the tank.  Always do a looooong quarantine, for each fish that comes from a different source even if the tank is starting fresh, I learned that one the hard way too :(

I usually do once or twice daily water changes in quarantine tanks and yeah, it does cause it to run out quickly.  When you need more meds you should get bulk oxytetracycline, which is also a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic like kanamycin but cheaper after a tube or two,  I think I paid $40 for a big jar and it has lasted me through probably seventy doses so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yeah the newbie brought stuff into the tank.  Always do a looooong quarantine, for each fish that comes from a different source even if the tank is starting fresh, I learned that one the hard way too :(

I usually do once or twice daily water changes in quarantine tanks and yeah, it does cause it to run out quickly.  When you need more meds you should get bulk oxytetracycline, which is also a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic like kanamycin but cheaper after a tube or two,  I think I paid $40 for a big jar and it has lasted me through probably seventy doses so far?

How long should I use the Paraguard for? A week? I was looking for an alternative to kanaplex lol but I couldn’t find anything bulk at the time. Good to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do Paraguard until four days after symptoms are gone. Which is usually 7-10 days, but has been longer :)
 

If after a week you see no change we need to try metroplex instead, which is antiparasitic and antibiotic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I do Paraguard until four days after symptoms are gone. Which is usually 7-10 days, but has been longer :)
 

If after a week you see no change we need to try metroplex instead, which is antiparasitic and antibiotic.

Where does the kanaplex fit into the treatment? It hasn’t come yet but when it does lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Francis Bubbles has to be euthanized this morning. He was stuck to the filter intake when I woke up. It was clear he had been stuck for awhile; his belly was pulled into ridges to match the intake. He had no energy to swim and just floated listlessly through the tank. SIP little buddy ❤️

 

On the plus side, Julius’ scales look nice and flat this morning, thank goodness! He never has shown any signs of being unwell despite his original pineconing. Francis had been weak since I got him, and had on another occasion been super floaty and I thought he’d die. Julius is the only one left from that shipment of fish (there were 4 originally). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was Francis the orange telescope?  I’m sorry, I’m not terribly surprised (I had a fish have a similar issue and we never identified it, but a healthy fish doesn’t get stuck to the intake :(), but I was hoping he could pull through.

I’m glad to hear Julius’s scales flattened out!  That’s wonderful news.  If you do decide he is still showing symptoms and you need kanaplex it can be done with the Paraguard, but if possible it’s best to dose to sick fish in a smaller quarantine tank and just Paraguard your main tank and the smaller one, but that way only one is getting kanaplex.  We don’t want to expose the entire tank to antibiotics unless we absolutely have to, since it can do damage to their organs and lower the efficacy of uses of it in subsequent illnesses if we overuse the kanaplex when we do not need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Was Francis the orange telescope?  I’m sorry, I’m not terribly surprised (I had a fish have a similar issue and we never identified it, but a healthy fish doesn’t get stuck to the intake :(), but I was hoping he could pull through.

I’m glad to hear Julius’s scales flattened out!  That’s wonderful news.  If you do decide he is still showing symptoms and you need kanaplex it can be done with the Paraguard, but if possible it’s best to dose to sick fish in a smaller quarantine tank and just Paraguard your main tank and the smaller one, but that way only one is getting kanaplex.  We don’t want to expose the entire tank to antibiotics unless we absolutely have to, since it can do damage to their organs and lower the efficacy of uses of it in subsequent illnesses if we overuse the kanaplex when we do not need it.

Yes he was the orange one. I’m not awfully surprised either, but still disappointed. I don’t think I’ll be buying from that particular seller again on eBay. 

 

The kanaplex is coming Wednesday I think. I’m not sure if he will need it or not by then. I may need to prazi the tank cause I feel like one of the orandas is flashing. Is that okay with Paraguard? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YesX you can Paraguard and prazi.  Definitely treat the tank still, for at least a solid week at this point even if you see no additional symptoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50% wc. Redosed salt and Paraguard. Added prazi to the mix. 

 

Black telescope “julius” seems about as well as he was prior to pineconing which is great! Chungus (my husbands oranda haha) is a little floaty and fin clamp-y. I think he has flukes, hence why I’m adding the prazi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you’re doh g the Paraguard you can lower and then remove the salt if he keeps clamping or they look stressed.  If everyone seems happy keep it going, but the salt and Paraguard are a little redundant if your fish look like Bette not tolerating the one two punch well :)

prazi can make some fish pouty but it won’t interact with either med if it is the dry powdered prazi, the hikari liquid is more finicky though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

If you’re doh g the Paraguard you can lower and then remove the salt if he keeps clamping or they look stressed.  If everyone seems happy keep it going, but the salt and Paraguard are a little redundant if your fish look like Bette not tolerating the one two punch well :)

prazi can make some fish pouty but it won’t interact with either med if it is the dry powdered prazi, the hikari liquid is more finicky though.

Thank you! I do think it could be partially the salt: Chungus was very happy before I added it. I’ll remove it over the next two waterchanges. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chungus died very unexpectedly last night. Now all I have are 3 tiny fish in my 65g and it looks ridiculous. Plus Chungus was my husbands beautiful oranda and I feel awful I couldn’t keep it alive for him. 😩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50%wc last night, readded Paraguard. I was only doing prazi for Chungus so I didn’t readd that. The plan is to do a 50-75% wc tomorrow to get rid of the rest of the salt and prazi. 

 

The tank is pretty cloudy today, as it was yesterday. Julius, Jason and mike all seem ok. Tho julius has been hanging at the top a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cloudiness is from the meds, they may bump your filter a bit as well, especially if it is new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

The cloudiness is from the meds, they may bump your filter a bit as well, especially if it is new.

Julius is hanging at the top today. What could cause that? I’m honestly concerned he will be dead when I wake up tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He may dislike the warmer aquarium, what temp is it running right now?


We like to heat them up for parasitic infections to speed up the life cycle of the parasite, but it lowers the dissolved oxygen in the water and goldfish need a lot of it, so if they’re gasping or hanging out near the top in warmer water that’s usually the cause.  Some fish tolerate it better than others. You may need to go back to 74-75 degrees or even a bit lower and just treat for longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

He may dislike the warmer aquarium, what temp is it running right now?


We like to heat them up for parasitic infections to speed up the life cycle of the parasite, but it lowers the dissolved oxygen in the water and goldfish need a lot of it, so if they’re gasping or hanging out near the top in warmer water that’s usually the cause.  Some fish tolerate it better than others. You may need to go back to 74-75 degrees or even a bit lower and just treat for longer.

It’s at 80 still. I’ll turn it down! He’s still swimming today thankfully. I’m giving them a low stress day with the lights off and fasting to see if it helps too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After turning down the heat, Julius looks just as poorly. He’s hanging st the surface, barely swimming. I’ll do a 90% wc later and redose Paraguard and prime. Not sure what’s up with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

I think they all look good now! If you agree, I’ll remove the Paraguard Monday (that’s when I thought they looked good first). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they’ve had no symptoms for a few days? Definitely give it some time after no symptoms to make sure it is eradicated, but I’m so glad he looks better and turned a corner, that is great news! They look awesome in that video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...